• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Top 25 Week 7 Discussion thread

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4D.... man you are an arrogant asshat. "The problem is you are unable to properly evaluate the strength of a team" as if you have some kind of superior skill on team evaluation. For Christ's sake just a week ago you were telling how MTSU was superior to Minnesota, talk about a whiff. And you are on record saying you don't watch games of teams that aren't "relevant" so explain how exactly it is that you evaluate teams with your superior skill when you don't even watch them play?? And here's the thing...even if we assume you're right on everything you write you are still wrong on this discussion because the people you're arguing with don't do their polls the same way you do. You're arguing your styles points not the points for someone who doesn't do it your way

You are the one who since the start of the year said you refused to take anything into account other than this years games, thus ignoring the strength of teams. That was your excuse for not even ranking Alabama and other Top25 quality teams.

Not even sure what you are talking about with MTSU and Minnesota. I'm guessing you are making it up.

And I already told you - I rely on advanced stats in large part for strength of teams while taking into account their weaknesses.

You are free to do your poll the way you want and I'm free to call it bullshit.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the more reason to move to a 16-team playoff ... as the rest of college football ... and most of the sports world ... has been doing for decades.

Fuck that.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are the one who since the start of the year said you refused to take anything into account other than this years games, thus ignoring the strength of teams. That was your excuse for not even ranking Alabama and other Top25 quality teams.

Not even sure what you are talking about with MTSU and Minnesota. I'm guessing you are making it up.

And I already told you - I rely on advanced stats in large part for strength of teams while taking into account their weaknesses.

Lol. Ok man

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
75% is not an overwhelming majority to you?

You need less % to pass an amendment to the constitution.

It is a good % but you make it seem like your computer does an extra special job when in reality it's just another average human

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a good % but you make it seem like your computer does an extra special job when in reality it's just another average human

Well shit if you can do better off nothing more than stats from the games I'd like to see it. Being able to do that as well as an average human across all teams without bias I thought was a pretty decent accomplishment.

It's not like I just look at the computer and say - do this. You know, it's actually a good amount of thought and figuring out the logic behind reading the stats and such in order to determine the winner. I also predicted the score and spread.

The computer actually predicted every team playing every team on a neutral field as part of the scoring, but hell even it's prediction on just the season alone for all teams is quite a bit.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
75 percent isn't shit. A normal CFB fan could do that or better. Hell I'd be willing to take odds that Jerms is doing better than that on his weekly picks

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
75 percent isn't shit. A normal CFB fan could do that or better. Hell I'd be willing to take odds that Jerms is doing better than that on his weekly picks

Right now he is at 76%, but now that there are less cupcakes it's dropped down. 73% last week and 70% the week before. But you see the same things with computer, some weeks are better than others, and as the year goes on the games become harder and harder as a whole.

And doing it yourself and writing a formula that does it is quite a bit different on the difficulty scale.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The S&P had Northwestern 25th before the Michigan game. It had Stanford 10th and Duke 11th. Two teams Northwestern beat. It seems like an odd way of ranking teams to looks at plays instead of outcomes. Does the S&P predict the future, or ignore game finals? Or does the S&P just think NW was lucky enough to win two games they shouldn't have won? It's hard to completely buy into such a ranking.

I don't have a problem with a computer saying Stanford is a better win then Northwestern or is a better team than another team. But when they start ranking teams and aren't concerned with winning and losing it makes me think wins and losses are irrelevant in their rankings and I don't compare them to mine because my rankings are not based on who is the best, it's based on who has put together the best resume, so it would be comparing apples to oranges. It doesn't mean the computer system is bullshit, it means it's different. I'm sorry you think it's bullshit to rank teams a certain way. I personally think it's whack to predict final records and adjust accordingly, but that doesn't mean i think you're doing it wrong.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The S&P had Northwestern 25th before the Michigan game. It had Stanford 10th and Duke 11th. Two teams Northwestern beat. It seems like an odd way of ranking teams to looks at plays instead of outcomes. Does the S&P predict the future, or ignore game finals? Or does the S&P just think NW was lucky enough to win two games they shouldn't have won? It's hard to completely buy into such a ranking.

I don't have a problem with a computer saying Stanford is a better win then Northwestern or is a better team than another team. But when they start ranking teams and aren't concerned with winning and losing it makes me think wins and losses are irrelevant in their rankings and I don't compare them to mine because my rankings are not based on who is the best, it's based on who has put together the best resume, so it would be comparing apples to oranges. It doesn't mean the computer system is bullshit, it means it's different. I'm sorry you think it's bullshit to rank teams a certain way. I personally think it's whack to predict final records and adjust accordingly, but that doesn't mean i think you're doing it wrong.

The S&P is a power ranking, not a season ranking. It is talking about team strength. It looks at ALL the games the teams have played over the year and does not focus on specific games of your choosing.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The S&P is a power ranking, not a season ranking. It is talking about team strength. It looks at ALL the games the teams have played over the year and does not focus on specific games of your choosing.

Then I have no issue with it. I would have an issue with it being used as a poll though

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things computers can't predict include letdown games, weather effects, unforeseen issues (key player(s) or coach injured or quit the team), jet lag from traveling cross-country, or just plain lethargic play by a good team, etc.