• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Top 25 Week 6 discussion

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well looks like I missed a lot after I went to bed

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And somebody didn't rank A&M? :L

lel, I saw taht too. but he thinks an Okie St team that is VASTLY overrated after what should have been a loss to a terrible Texas team is #15.

:pound:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just who has Bama beaten this year, so far? They have beaten "1" ranked team!!
Bama is getting a lot of credit for the Wisconsin win OT which may or may not be justified at the end of the year. Just like Sparty is getting a lot of credit for the Oregon win. That one may or may not be justified by the end of the year either.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama is getting a lot of credit for the Wisconsin win OT which may or may not be justified at the end of the year. Just like Sparty is getting a lot of credit for the Oregon win. That one may or may not be justified by the end of the year either.

"win OT"? as in over-time?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I was answering Old Timer (OT). Guess I should have put The Old Timer instead of using initials. My bad.

gotcha, I was thoroughly confused about that and didn't think of old timer :suds:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traditional powers always,receive the benefit of the doubt in college sports. It's why OSU, Bama, Oklahoma, USC etc can make,a CFB playoff or a BCS title game with a loss or 2 and other teams cant. Also the same reason those teams drop 8 or 9 spots when they lose early and teams,like Ole Miss and UCLA drop 12 or 13 spots. Seems insignificant but it's not. However it's not ever going to change and VERY few fans of those teams will ever admit,to it being true so it's kind of pointless to talk about it

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traditional powers always,receive the benefit of the doubt in college sports. It's why OSU, Bama, Oklahoma, USC etc can make,a CFB playoff or a BCS title game with a loss or 2 and other teams cant. Also the same reason those teams drop 8 or 9 spots when they lose early and teams,like Ole Miss and UCLA drop 12 or 13 spots. Seems insignificant but it's not. However it's not ever going to change and VERY few fans of those teams will ever admit,to it being true so it's kind of pointless to talk about it
I would have to agree. The other thing that group has going for it is their fan base travels and that factor is always in the back of people's mind.

And I'm not trolling here. Everyone talks about the superconference of "64". It really isn't 64. They need the others to fill up conferences. IMO, these are the true 12 "traditional" powers that often get the benefit of the doubt you speak of.

B1G - Ohio State, Michigan
PAC 12 - USC
ACC - Florida State, Miami
SEC - Bama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Georgia
Big 12 - Oklahoma, Texas

(I'm not even sure Georgia and Miami belong in that group.)

I know a lot of people will claim Michigan State, Oregon, etc, etc. While many of those are definitely good, they just don't carry the same clout as these 12...again, JMO.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to agree. The other thing that group has going for it is their fan base travels and that factor is always in the back of people's mind.

And I'm not trolling here. Everyone talks about the superconference of "64". It really isn't 64. They need the others to fill up conferences. IMO, these are the true 12 "traditional" powers that often get the benefit of the doubt you speak of.

PAC 12 - USC
Big 12 - Oklahoma, Texas

I know a lot of people will claim Michigan State, Oregon, etc, etc. While many of those are definitely good, they just don't carry the same clout as these 12...again, JMO.
Honestly there is,even a hierarchy in that group. I'd call it the "what have you done for me lately" clause. Basically if a traditional power has been down for a few years they will receive the benefit of the doubt preseason but their margin of error is still less than a team who has won a title or been ranked super high recently. Look at last year. OSU loses early and drops 14 spots, Bama,loses early and drops only 3. Granted the level of competition was different but that's a huge difference. Luckily for OSU they were able to overcome that big drop mostly due to them being Ohio State. If Illinois had dropped from 8th to 22nd week 2 and then won out you would have seen TCU or Baylor in the playoff. Just the way it is

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this one deserves a call out....maybe he just forgot?? @Cowboyinexile

I'll be the first to admit A&M is highly unlikely to remain top 15 when the season is over...but we are without a doubt a top 25 team right now.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I'll have to do a poll and leave okie st out in order to balance out exile's idiocy.

That's how this game is played, right?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PAC 12 - USC
Big 12 - Oklahoma, Texas

No Notre Dame?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly there is,even a hierarchy in that group. I'd call it the "what have you done for me lately" clause. Basically if a traditional power has been down for a few years they will receive the benefit of the doubt preseason but their margin of error is still less than a team who has won a title or been ranked super high recently. Look at last year. OSU loses early and drops 14 spots, Bama,loses early and drops only 3. Granted the level of competition was different but that's a huge difference. Luckily for OSU they were able to overcome that big drop mostly due to them being Ohio State. If Illinois had dropped from 8th to 22nd week 2 and then won out you would have seen TCU or Baylor in the playoff. Just the way it is
Agree. The down years they get less benefit of the doubt.

And if last year it had been Texas and Oklahoma from the Big 12 instead of Baylor/TCU, tOSU might not have gotten in because they were all "traditional" powers. Still might have, who knows. As it turns out, FSU was the pretender but they weren't about to leave an undefeated, defending NC out. Same for tOSU this year. Undefeated and they are in regardless of how their schedule is viewed by some.

It would have been interesting to watch the committee flop around had that been the case.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Notre Dame?
Guess I could have put them in the ACC group...at least partially since they are a partial conference member. But yeah, they belong. My bad.

Last edited:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be the first to admit A&M is highly unlikely to remain top 15 when the season is over...but we are without a doubt a top 25 team right now.
I think you may be surprised. I think your aggies are for real this year and the schedule lays out real well for them. I might be totally wrong but they look a lot better than last year when they want to. If Arizona State gets back on track and finishes well, A&M looks better and better.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC, I agree, but Bama shouldn't be given any more credit for beating Wisconsin, as Utah should be given credit for beating Oregon. Who knows Ole Miss just might be out of the top 25 in a couple of weeks and that sure in hell won't help Bama's SOS.