• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Top 25 Week 6 discussion

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I'm home safe. My wife found me at the local bar, I was talking to a Bama fan!!! :pound:

Uh oh, Bama fan talking to a drunk non-Bama fan...I fear we are about to hear about another tea-bagging

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC, I agree, but Bama shouldn't be given any more credit for beating Wisconsin, as Utah should be given credit for beating Oregon. Who knows Ole Miss just might be out of the top 25 in a couple of weeks and that sure in hell won't help Bama's SOS.
Maybe they shouldn't and it could very turn out the way you describe. Ole Miss wasn't that good at the end of last year...or TCU was damn good since they kicked the shit out of them.

But, just like your Trojans, the traditional powers get the benefit of the doubt the years they are good. If that were USC instead of Utah with those same wins, they'd be in the top one or two. On the reverse. If that were Mizzou with Bama's resume, it wouldn't carry the same weight and they'd be even lower. Right, wrong or indifferent, that is just the way it is with polls.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they shouldn't and it could very turn out the way you describe. Ole Miss wasn't that good at the end of last year...or TCU was damn good since they kicked the shit out of them.

But, just like your Trojans, the traditional powers get the benefit of the doubt the years they are good. If that were USC instead of Utah with those same wins, they'd be in the top one or two. On the reverse. If that were Mizzou with Bama's resume, it wouldn't carry the same weight and they'd be even lower. Right, wrong or indifferent, that is just the way it is with polls.
Yep!! I agree.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traditional powers always,receive the benefit of the doubt in college sports. It's why OSU, Bama, Oklahoma, USC etc can make,a CFB playoff or a BCS title game with a loss or 2 and other teams cant. Also the same reason those teams drop 8 or 9 spots when they lose early and teams,like Ole Miss and UCLA drop 12 or 13 spots. Seems insignificant but it's not. However it's not ever going to change and VERY few fans of those teams will ever admit,to it being true so it's kind of pointless to talk about it

I'll admit it. See North Carolina during basketball season. Traditional powers benefit in polls even when they're not good.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do enjoy the fact that at least 2 other people have NW at number 1 but I'm the only person to receive negative ratings because of it.. that tells me my rankings must be spot on

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do enjoy the fact that at least 2 other people have NW at number 1 but I'm the only person to receive negative ratings because of it.. that tells me my rankings must be spot on

Your ratings could be because you left out temple despite them being undefeated and the best group of 5 team this year? :noidea:

It might not have anything to do with Northwestern

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@4down20 you can ask me questions about my rankings or tell me what you don't like about it. Its hard to fix them if you don't address the issues.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your ratings could be because you left out temple despite them being undefeated and the best group of 5 team this year? :noidea:

It might not have anything to do with Northwestern
Maybe? I actually have Memphis and toledo ranked higher than temple currently but temple is right on the edge

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's more of what I'm speaking to. Last week at this time MANY people had Bama,in the top 15 some even in the top 10. Why you ask? Well my only guess is that those people valued a neutral site win over Wisconsin enough that they considered it able to at least partially negate a home loss to Ole Miss. I mean at that time there was nothing else to really go off of as all the Tides other wins were pretty irrelevant. Flash forward a week and many many of those same posters do not have Iowa in the top 15... hmm that's strange. If a neutral site win over Wisconsin can Pati ally negate a home loss you'd think a road win over Wisconsin would be more than enough to vault a team with NO losses into the top 15... maybe a win over Wisconsin isn't that great? But if it's not then why is Bama still receiving credit for it when it appears Iowa isnt? Strange... until you realize one of those 2 teams is a traditional power

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@4down20 you can ask me questions about my rankings or tell me what you don't like about it. Its hard to fix them if you don't address the issues.

What is there to say that hasn't already been said multiple times by now?

It's just another shitty poll that pretends like knowing the real strength of teams is a sin, while at the same time artificially pumping up teams that obviously don't really deserve it.

Your poll rewards teams for playing shitty schedules. Nothing Northwestern has done has really amounted to shit and they are mostly likely going to lose this weekend. They beat a Stanford team that wasn't playing well in week 1 and that's about it.

Northwestern doesn't even rank in the top25 for stats based power rankings and they most likely won't even finish the year in the top25. But they play a bunch of cupcakes and here you go pretending they are actual contenders like you've never watched college football before.

And then Iowa at #10? For what? For beating a Wisconsin team barely? Oh yeah, the same team Alabama dismantled in week 1 and had backups playing in the 3rd quarter. But yeah, they played bunch of cupcakes so they don't have a loss and here they are a "top 10" team.

Northwestern doesn't have a top50 strength of schedule and Iowa doesn't even have a top70. That means there are 50 and 70 teams that have played more difficult schedules.

It's bullshit and you purposely ignore the realities in order to make sure rankings.

You know what's worse than maybe giving a "name brand" team a little too much credit when it comes to team strength? Actually pretending that even for a second a team like that is equal to the worst teams from last year.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh, Bama fan talking to a drunk non-Bama fan...I fear we are about to hear about another tea-bagging
Come on Ford, you know that Bama fans are not "narks".

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NW has a CURRENT SOS of 29. Their future SOS is worse but id rather not penalize them for games they haven't played yet.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is there to say that hasn't already been said multiple times by now?

It's just another shitty poll that pretends like knowing the real strength of teams is a sin, while at the same time artificially pumping up teams that obviously don't really deserve it.

Your poll rewards teams for playing shitty schedules. Nothing Northwestern has done has really amounted to shit and they are mostly likely going to lose this weekend. They beat a Stanford team that wasn't playing well in week 1 and that's about it.

Northwestern doesn't even rank in the top25 for stats based power rankings and they most likely won't even finish the year in the top25. But they play a bunch of cupcakes and here you go pretending they are actual contenders like you've never watched college football before.

And then Iowa at #10? For what? For beating a Wisconsin team barely? Oh yeah, the same team Alabama dismantled in week 1 and had backups playing in the 3rd quarter. But yeah, they played bunch of cupcakes so they don't have a loss and here they are a "top 10" team.

Northwestern doesn't have a top50 strength of schedule and Iowa doesn't even have a top70. That means there are 50 and 70 teams that have played more difficult schedules.

It's bullshit and you purposely ignore the realities in order to make sure rankings.

You know what's worse than maybe giving a "name brand" team a little too much credit when it comes to team strength? Actually pretending that even for a second a team like that is equal to the worst teams from last year.

1. Northwestern has beaten Stanford, Duke and Minnesota. If you compare Alabamas schedule (in games they won) to Northwesterns schedule, Northwesterns is better.

2. They held Stanford to 6 points (they're averaging 36 more than that against teams not named Northwestern). You're an Alabama fan, I would expect you of all people to appreciate a good defense.

3. Never once did I even pretend to say Northwestern was a contender. We've been over this, it's not a projection or power ranking. This is a top 25 poll vote.

4. I'm probably a little high on Iowa, but the teams behind them have played even weaker, sucker schedules. I'm not rewarding teams for scheduling and losing games. Anyone can do that.

5. I've already mentioned the issues with SoS.

6. Your perception is that stats or name brand or history shows that certain teams are better when reality showed they didn't win the game. I value wins that occur in reality not on paper. I think beating good teams shows the quality of teams you could beat and losing games shows that you can be beaten.

When comparing Iowa to Alabama:
They both are capable of beating Wisconsin, and other average teams.
Alabama lost to Ole Miss, and Iowa has not yet had the opportunity to show would lose the game.

If I were to do a power rankings, Alabama and Southern Cal and Clemson would be top 5 teams. But, that is not how this works.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were to do a power rankings, Alabama and Southern Cal and Clemson would be top 5 teams. But, that is not how this works.

Not trolling or bugging you, just curious as to your thought process. Why would those three be top 5 if you were to do a power ranking?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trolling or bugging you, just curious as to your thought process. Why would those three be top 5 if you were to do a power ranking?

Because Because on a neutral field I would bet on Alabama against anyone. Southern Cal has the best quarterback in the country, their very talented, and I would expect them to win most games. Clemson is decent.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those notre dame phegs sure do carry grudges....:noidea:

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:dhd:

I'd ask him wheres HIS poll was. He's a great critic, but we all know what critics are good for,:trash: