• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Top 25 Week 6 discussion

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okie State currently has the best defensive ranking @ # 24. The worst is TT @ # 124.
Tech defended Arkie well which is weird. One would think they'd be better at defending the style they see every day in practice. Not so. They already got TCU and Baylor out of the way and shouldn't see offenses like that the rest of the way. OU's may create problems because it is from the same offensive tree as TCU. Baylor could have had even more yards than they did. They let off the gas.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tech defended Arkie well which is weird. One would think they'd be better at defending the style they see every day in practice. Not so. They already got TCU and Baylor out of the way and shouldn't see offenses like that the rest of the way. OU's may create problems because it is from the same offensive tree as TCU. Baylor could have had even more yards than they did. They let off the gas.

I had no idea how bad the Big XII is defensively this year. There are other teams from that conference currently ranked near the bottom.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC isn't rated well in defense either, only 3 teams in the top 25, and only Mizzou is in the top 10, ranked below my Boise State. The ACC has 4 top 10 teams. But the Big 12 is definitely the all offense, no defense league.
Total Defense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC isn't rated well in defense either, only 3 teams in the top 25, and only Mizzou is in the top 10, ranked below my Boise State. The ACC has 4 top 10 teams. But the Big 12 is definitely the all offense, no defense league.

That statistic is at least a little skewed. NC State is listed as the number 3 defense, but that HAS to be because they've had the easiest schedule in all of college football to this point.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That statistic is at least a little skewed. NC State is listed as the number 3 defense, but that HAS to be because they've had the easiest schedule in all of college football to this point.
But most of the conferences have played a lot of creampuffs this early in the year.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But most of the conferences have played a lot of creampuffs this early in the year.

They gave up 21 points to Troy (who is winless vs FBS teams). Troy scored 18 vs South Alabama, and 3 against Wisconsin.

They gave up 14 to Old Dominion (1-3). ODU scored a total of seven points in their other losses.

They gave up 13 to South Alabama (who Nebraska held to 9).

Their best performance, they gave up 20 points to Louisville. (Clemson gave up 17 and Auburn 24)

They gave up zero against an Eastern Kentucky (FCS team). Austin Peay only allowed 10.

That doesn't really back up them being a top 5 defense.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's an SEC team they should afforded the benefit of the doubt. If it's anyone else it's because they actually suck.
-4d20

You are so mad.

:lol:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yay, stats that don't take into account the quality of the opponent.

Because you know, holding Kent St to 100 rush yards in a game is the same as holding a team like LSU to 100 rush yards in game. Obviously they are equal and it's just bias that makes people say otherwise.

:dhd:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Welcome to the NCAA stats and why I pay more attention to advanced stats.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 Down, I agree with you, stats by themselves don't mean much. 5 games into the season, they aren't totally accurate, but they do give some insights. One does have to take into consideration the opponents and other factors, but they wouldn't keep them if they were completely meaningless. I'd rather have a top team than a bottom one. Alabama is top ten rated, for example, because they are really good, as anyone who has seen them play would know.
So, are you saying that the stats are only bogus for other teams, not yours?:noidea:

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 Down, I agree with you, stats by themselves don't mean much. 5 games into the season, they aren't totally accurate, but they do give some insights. One does have to take into consideration the opponents and other factors, but they wouldn't keep them if they were completely meaningless. I'd rather have a top team than a bottom one. Alabama is top ten rated, for example, because they are really good, as anyone who has seen them play would know.
So, are you saying that the stats are only bogus for other teams, not yours?:noidea:

I'm not sure what he's saying, but i tried explaining why it's not the best measurement at this point. NC State has a top 3 defense despite teams doing better against NC State than they do against their other opponents. Alabama and northwestern have a better defense than NC State no doubt in my mind. Later in the season it'll be more insightful but it's not really the most accurate at this point, but idk which stats are the most accurate