• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Top 25 Week 6 discussion

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now it doesn't look like Baylor has played anyone of merit...even if they haven't struggled. That Tech victory at Arky isn't looking like much...and now the OU win at Tennessee isn't looking impressive either. And right now we can shoot holes in all of them...like MSU's win over Oregon isn't looking so hot.

When teams get into conference things tend to level out....familiarity I guess. I'm not ready to discout tOSU and Sparty just yet....or anyone else that looked like they struggled.

And I'm the last one to defend Baylor's OOC schedule (or any other team that plays FCS schools). But Rice and SMU are FBS, non Power 5 schools which all Power 5 schools feast on. Lamar is the only outlier. Change Lamar with a Power 5 team and their OOC looks just about like everyone else's.

That's a big change.

Every year people always forget this is college football and that all teams aren't perfect. They are inconsistent and crazy wins/losses are going to happen. It's the reason why we love college football, and yet people act like every win/loss is everything every week.

A 4 loss team at the end of the year is still a top 25 team.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 games in should be the start. . Most conferences have started conference play.. and it's a good gauge on the start of the polling system. . Week 8 or 9 is almost over except for the upsets that might happen. . Week 6 is half way through for the start

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma's win over Tennessee is looking less impressive if you purely look at it in a vacuum. It's still not a signature win by any means, but it's not meaningless. Dynamics change as the season progresses, and so do teams. What Oklahoma did in the fourth quarter with a very young and brand new offense combined with what their defense did stands on its own merit, and Neyland will most likely not be that hostile for another team this year. That win really took the air out of a Tennessee team that looked poised to break out. That had to be taken into account going forward.

So I guess what I'm saying, is I'm agreeing with 4down in that you can't simply look at scores and records. You have to acknowledge that dynamics change as games are played. Just because Oregon is suddenly quite unimpressive does not take away MSU's quality win over them. Nor does Utah's stomping of Oregon mean they're far and away a better team than Michigan State. Just like Florida is not necessarily a better team than Alabama, and so on and so forth.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma's win over Tennessee is looking less impressive if you purely look at it in a vacuum. It's still not a signature win by any means, but it's not meaningless. Dynamics change as the season progresses, and so do teams. What Oklahoma did in the fourth quarter with a very young and brand new offense combined with what their defense did stands on its own merit, and Neyland will most likely not be that hostile for another team this year. That win really took the air out of a Tennessee team that looked poised to break out. That had to be taken into account going forward.

So I guess what I'm saying, is I'm agreeing with 4down in that you can't simply look at scores and records. You have to acknowledge that dynamics change as games are played. Just because Oregon is suddenly quite unimpressive does not take away MSU's quality win over them. Nor does Utah's stomping of Oregon mean they're far and away a better team than Michigan.
I agree. It is too damned early to assess. That's exactly why I'm saying tOSU and Sparty's performances yesterday should be viewed as you describe instead of claiming they struggled with nobody. Purdue isn't the same as it was earlier this year, just like Tennessee. One was better early, one not. Same with TCU and Baylor playing Tech. One was with a hot Tech team coming off a win at Arky, getting a highly ranked team at home. The other got them after a big loss on a neutral field. Not the same.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody let Nathan687687165741 know that he has two teams with a loss in the top 10.

Was he trying to play catch-up by doing a preseason poll?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very very interesting early polls. Looks like the people who base their,rankings on results only pretty much have NW number 1 while people who use a different model are way less high on the Cats

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted some shit.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn between Utah and NW for number 1 in my poll. Leaning towards NW.

How do you have Iowa ahead of Texas A&M? Texas A&M has played a tougher schedule.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you have Iowa ahead of Texas A&M? Texas A&M has played a tougher schedule.
If you base it on a truly objective comparator like the VERN, yep. A&M has the 2nd toughest so far.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pittsburgh,& Wisconsin could be interpreted as betters wins than Mississippi State, Arkansas and Arizona State at this point

none of those wins are overly impressive, Pittsburgh, and Arizona State are the best two in my opinion, but I gave Arizona State a big boost because of a one game performance, Texas A&M does at least have the edge in decent wins.

Iowa also has Iowa State I guess too, Iowa State is comparable to Arkansas so far, Iowa State has less losses and both lost to Toledo, but at least Iowa State took them to overtime on the road

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you base it on a truly objective comparator like the VERN, yep. A&M has the 2nd toughest so far.

Damn, you just quoted the worst computer poll in existence and you called it "truly objective".

:crazy:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh,& Wisconsin could be interpreted as betters wins than Mississippi State, Arkansas and Arizona State at this point

none of those wins are overly impressive, Pittsburgh, and Arizona State are the best two in my opinion, but I gave Arizona State a big boost because of a one game performance, Texas A&M does at least have the edge in decent wins.

Iowa also has Iowa State I guess too, Iowa State is comparable to Arkansas so far, Iowa State has less losses and both lost to Toledo, but at least Iowa State took them to overtime on the road

Texas A&M SOS - 50
Iowa SOS - 114

I'm only playing by his rules. If he's going to base it solely on resume I have a big issue with that. Looking forward to his bullshit spin though.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to say, you can tell from the variety in our polls

there's so much parity this year, and it is just making things so crazy and so much fun.

we could be looking at a season close to how wild 2007 was, and I have been waiting for such a thing for so long

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha on ignore Sparky. Fire away, knew you would dog me! :dhd:

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas A&M SOS - 50
Iowa SOS - 114

I'm only playing by his rules. If he's going to base it solely on resume I have a big issue with that. Looking forward to his bullshit spin though.

I was saying there's a way to argue it, and to me there is no way there's that much of a different between A&M and Iowa's schedules so far, both have done a good job to be unbeaten but neither have a victory that sticks out to this point.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guarantee A&M will still be undefeated after this weekend