• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Top 25 Week 6 discussion

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already gave you the difference in schedule strength, it's huge in favor of Alabama. 14th vs not in the top50. And that was games played, not the entire schedule.

And thinking trash = trash is just stupid. As if MTSU or LA Monroe are anywhere near as cupcake as an FCS team. But of course, you ignorantly put them as equal.

Hell Minnesota ranks WAY worse than MTSU in power rankings, not even in the top75. But there you go acting like they aren't trash, but the ones Alabama played aren't.

Again, just dumb.

Based on being a fan of the team and watching them play. The same way when everyone was saying the Alabama dynasty was over after the Ole Miss loss and straight up laughed at me for saying that despite the win - I actually DOWNGRADED Ole Miss after the Alabama game(ranked them higher than Alabama for the win, but understood they weren't that good of a team). And low and behold what happened? Ole Miss got blown out by Florida and Alabama goes on to blow out Georgia.

You probably think Tennessee wasn't a quality win for Oklahoma due to their record. Probably mark them as "trash", and yet they are actually a very good opponent who's just played a tough schedule.

I'm not doing a power ranking either. Power rankings are just what you use to determine the value of the opponent because win/loss records are a TERRIBLE METRIC for such things due to the differences in SoS. Again, for the same reason the NCAA SoS using win% is trash. Just because 2 teams have the same record doesn't mean they are equal teams.

Wtf are you talking about bye weeks? That you believe anyone not in the top25 is equal only goes to highlight your ignorance.

Georgia could very well lose to Tennessee this weekend.

@24seven had been doing rankings based solely on who they played back in the day and I always defended his rankings. He only counted the performance of the teams for that season when he ranked them. If you played nothing but cupcakes, his rankings would show it.

Now why would I defend his rankings all those years when he got lots of flak for his rankings, but yet don't defend yours or others?

Simple: He actually rated the power of the opponents realistically rather than this stupid bullshit you and a few others do where you pretend like every year is "fresh" and "all teams are equal". College football NEVER starts a fresh new year, it's always either building or declining off the previous year. It is not "biased" for any fool to understand that based on previous years performances what general area a team is likely to be. It IS not only biased, but extremely ignorant to knowingly punish teams and move teams around where you openly admit you know better. But that's what you do.

All because of some stupid fucking "image" of being "unbiased". While in fact having the most biased piece of shit polls possible because you purposely ignore the reality. To which you even admit.

Saying Minnesota is ranked worse than Mid Tenn State in your rankings was a very bad way to convince us of your point, honestly you really hurt your point there sir.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for a top 25 team that ULM is an easy win, just as is Middle Tennessee State. I think Minnesota, unlike Kansas and Iowa State and MTSU and Army are games where you could lose. When I judge wins, it's based on the eye test. I think Tennessee is a much better win than Minnesota. I don't pretend teams of all records are equal.

Players come and go, and to say that a team that lost over half of their starters, and an OC and was right around the middle of the top 25 one year should be preseason top 25 the next, is ridiculous. I rank teams based on their performance, plain and simple. I admit that I don't make my polls based on who the best teams are, but instead based on how the season has gone and who has performed the best on the field.

Minnesota is terrible and the only reason you think they are decent is because you are applying last years weight on to them while you at the same time make claims that you don't do such things.

They lost to TCU and Northwestern and they needed OT to beat a Colorado St team that just lost their HC to Florida.

Is it that 10-7 win over Kent St that makes you think Minnesota is a team that can beat you?

Or was it that 27-24 win over the Ohio Bobcats?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota is terrible and the only reason you think they are decent is because you are applying last years weight on to them while you at the same time make claims that you don't do such things.

They lost to TCU and Northwestern and they needed OT to beat a Colorado St team that just lost their HC to Florida.

Is it that 10-7 win over Kent St that makes you think Minnesota is a team that can beat you?

The Ohio Bobcats and Colorado State are better than Mid Tenn State or UL-Monroe

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying Minnesota is ranked worse than Mid Tenn State in your rankings was a very bad way to convince us of your point, honestly you really hurt your point there sir.

Well I didn't say it was ranked worse in my rankings(I don't rank either), I said they were ranked less in the ESPN FPI.

ESPN Football Power Index - 2015 - ESPN

MTSU: 59
Minn: 69

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just quoted a ranking that had Arkansas 23rd

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just quoted a ranking that had Arkansas 23rd

Yeah, it's called a power ranking, which is a ranking of how good the team is rather than what their record/season has been.

In 2010 I ranked Boise St #1 in the power rankings, but not in the top10 in the season rankings. While your loss to Nevada was enough to hurt your season ranking combined with a bad SoS, it didn't mean Boise St was an easier team to beat overall. Thus when it came to rewarding the teams that played you that year, it was the power ranking that is used, not the season ranking.

Power rankings are what you use to determine the quality of the opponent, season rankings are the top25 we post. You all do your own power rankings in your head even if you don't realize it.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we just name who we think are the best teams without their records perhaps I could just power rank the MWC 1-12

then do my rankings based on that?

makes sense

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we just name who we think are the best teams without their records perhaps I could just power rank the MWC 1-12

then do my rankings based on that?

makes sense

Because that's what you believe, or because you need to post stupid shit rather than acknowledge the point?

As I said, you already do this no matter if you realize it or not.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power rankings are so opinionated that they just don't work especially ESPN's these rankings are just terrible

Northwestern is #34, Stanford is #11 and USC is #2

I saw Northwestern against Stanford and without a doubt in my mind they are the better team, I saw Stanford vs USC and without a doubt in my mind Stanford was the better team

without a doubt Texas Tech was better than #23 Arkansas, they dominated them in fact.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because that's what you believe, or because you need to post stupid shit rather than acknowledge the point?

As I said, you already do this no matter if you realize it or not.

Makes as much sense as Stanford being 20 spots ahead of Northwestern a team that dominated them

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know who played Toledo better than Arkansas? Iowa State. Lol

At least those were close games so you can give and take a little there

but Arkansas was completely dominated by Texas Tech, I believe Texas Tech was in the redzone and could have scored another touchdown if they wanted to at the end.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power rankings are so opinionated that they just don't work especially ESPN's these rankings are just terrible

Northwestern is #34, Stanford is #11 and USC is #2

I saw Northwestern against Stanford and without a doubt in my mind they are the better team, I saw Stanford vs USC and without a doubt in my mind Stanford was the better team

without a doubt Texas Tech was better than #23 Arkansas, they dominated them in fact.

Because computers don't focus in on single games in which to apply confirmation bias.

They aren't perfect. It predicts Texas A&M to beat Alabama and I think it's off it's fucking rocker. And this will probably blow your mind - Alabama is ranked higher in the power rankings than Texas A&M.

So why does it predict A&M to beat Alabama despite Alabama being higher in the rankings? Because power rankings are usually broken up into areas such as pass/rush offense/defense and it likes the matchups for Texas A&M better.

Makes as much sense as Stanford being 20 spots ahead of Northwestern a team that dominated them

Of course the Boise St fan only wants to look at single games instead of the whole season.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least those were close games so you can give and take a little there

but Arkansas was completely dominated by Texas Tech, I believe Texas Tech was in the redzone and could have scored another touchdown if they wanted to at the end.
Yeah well head to head means nothing in the face of opinions

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because computers don't focus in on single games in which to apply confirmation bias.

They aren't perfect. It predicts Texas A&M to beat Alabama and I think it's off it's fucking rocker. And this will probably blow your mind - Alabama is ranked higher in the power rankings than Texas A&M.

So why does it predict A&M to beat Alabama despite Alabama being higher in the rankings? Because power rankings are usually broken up into areas such as pass/rush offense/defense and it likes the matchups for Texas A&M better.

Of course the Boise St fan only wants to look at single games instead of the whole season.

Northwestern is undefeated, and have played well in every game, they have done nothing to tell me that Stanford would beat them.

it's far from it, it picked Georgia to beat Alabama for goodness sake, where did they find a good matchup there? Alabama stops the run well and Georgia doesn't have good QB play.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northwestern is undefeated, and have played well in every game, they have done nothing to tell me that Stanford would beat them.

it's far from it, it picked Georgia to beat Alabama for goodness sake, where did they find a good matchup there? Alabama stops the run well and Georgia doesn't have good QB play.

So I should just go look at all your wrong predictions and point them out as a reason why you should never vote in a poll again?

I haven't checked out it's % on correct guesses, but a 75% average is pretty good.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure, I never said I wasn't using the eye test to determine what was/wasn't a good win. But, that's a good point, and I need to look more into those things. Maybe Minnesota is going to finish dead last in the B1G. It doesn't change the fact that...

Stanford > Georgia
Duke > Wisconsin
Minnesota = ULM or MTSU or whoever.

Northwestern still has better wins.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol just looked at the FPI... Auburn is 35th. Good stuff

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, I never said I wasn't using the eye test to determine what was/wasn't a good win. But, that's a good point, and I need to look more into those things. Maybe Minnesota is going to finish dead last in the B1G. It doesn't change the fact that...

Stanford > Georgia
Duke > Wisconsin
Minnesota = ULM or MTSU or whoever.

Northwestern still has better wins.

Once again you are cherry picking a couple of games and ignoring the entire schedule.

Most of the time I'm having to hear how much a FCS team is a piece of crap, and yet you want to rate them as being equal to any non-top25 team.

:lol: