• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Speculation (re: Clowe and Thornton)

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pure speculation on my part, but I get the feeling that Clowe and Thornton don't really get along that well. It's a feeling I've had for awhile ever since Clowe's outburst last year about (paraphrased) "some people in this room aren't tired after games". We know he wasn't talking about Couture, Murray and Boyle. I always thought he was referring to Jumbo, Patty and Heatler (in no particular order).

Then comes this:

Day 11.5 — ‘Right now, as fragile as this team is, we can’t take those undisciplined penalties’ | Working the Corners

Jumbo sure doesn't disguise his shots, why not just say his name??? i.e. - "Clowey knows he's got to be smarter there" or something of that ilk:

“High. Just undisciplined. All of us realize what we’re in for right now. We’ve pretty much hit bottom now and hopefully we can dig our way out of it because we’re definitely in a race now to get into the playoffs.

“Yeah, fair assessment. They know they cant be doing that kind of thing. It cost the team, that’s the bottom line tonight. We’re in a game and a couple unfortunate penalties like that put you behind the eight ball.

No Joe, not having your teammates ready to play and spotting Columbus 4 goals in the first is putting your team behind the eight ball.

“Right now, as fragile as this team is, we can’t take those undisciplined penalties.”

Now these are legit gripes though, I'm not going to deny Jumbo of that.

However, this is where I really laughed at Joe:

What does a captain say to players at this point? (from Pollack)

“You can talk so much, but it’s up to that individual to come out and perform. This is why we get paid, to perform every night and for whatever reason everybody’s not on board.

So in essence: "I'm not going to talk to the team, but I am going to single them out with out mentioning their name to the paper. I'm also the most highly paid player on the team yet I don't perform every night."

You're "on board" alright Joe, you're just always the Captain on a sinking ship (come playoff time).

I get the feeling there is a dichotomy going on in the room right now. McLellan also said that he at least likes the fact that Clowe sticks up for his teammates:

"I'll talk to Clowe about it tomorrow, but frustration seeps through a little bit there," McLellan said. "He was sent the message. He wasn't put back on the ice for a little while. But in the same breath, he does take care of a lot of his teammates."

He also said something yesterday that I thought was curious:

“It’s competitive every night. There’s some players irregardless of how they play, they probably get the benefit of the doubt a lot of times. Whether that’s fair or not, that’s sometimes how it works.

“Their cutbacks come within games and power plays and stuff like that. Then there’s another group of players that have to work to stay in the lineup.

Anyway, interesting to think about right now. I wonder if DWil does any coaching from the GM Chair?

Last edited by a moderator:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, fuck Thornton, basically.

Also, if he thinks this is rock bottom, I think he'll be in for a big shock in 7-10 days when the Sharks are fighting the Ducks to not be last in the Pacific Division...

This team is a fucking disaster.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thornton single handedly lost 2 games on this trip on his own, probably shouldnt be casting stones

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, sign of a true captain, that dude.... :L

PS. I can't wait to hear what Clowe has to say to Thornton calling him out. He hasn't been afraid to speak up in the past. Hopefully he goes off on Jim. Publicly.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't worry tooo much about it. :think: I wish TMac would sit down and talk with Doug one on one and talk about which players need to show up during game time.

Seems like the same problem since Nolan was traded.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Clowe cost us a game by going off, getting an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty because he's pissed off and frustrated with the way his team is playing rather than Thornton costing us MULTIPLE games with his laid back "I'm just happy to be here" attitude. I just wish the big boys showed some grit or at least some determination. What Clowe did last night was wrong but why is it that our "Captain" is calling him out? We were already in a position that we shouldn't have been in, in the first fucking place. Maybe Dumbo Slow should talk to the media about that, you know something along the lines of "I am the captain of this team and I did NOT have my team ready to play tonight." I'm sick of this "there's only so much I can say" bullshit, "the guys have to take it upon themselves to be prepared for games." Well if that's the case, then why the fuck do we even have a captain?! Take away the C and have three A's on the ice to talk to the refs. We don't need a captain because our captain seems to take the easy way out at every opportunity that is presented to him. These guys were getting SCRAPED BY THE WORST TEAM IN HOCKEY BEFORE CLOWE EVEN GOT HIS PENALTY, that is the real problem here!!!

ads_2006

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
well

hopefully a stanley cup can fix their relationship issuess

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimbo is a softy. He was never Captain material. When he was appointed Captain, I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that he was the ideal choice. We all HOPED that he would evolve into the role.

And yes, I do think there is a rift between Clowe and Thornton. It has to do more with Clowe not liking Thornton. Filo, you cited one instance last season when Clowe made those remarks that seemed to be a shot at Joe, and I think Heatley. There was another time it happened too, I remember posting about it but I forget the specifics. Then now, this.

I get the feeling that the more Clowe "acts up", the more likely he goes bye bye so that Doug's golden boy will be happy.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And honestly, Joe's outlook on life is a good one. There has to be balance in life. Work, family, yourself. That happy go lucky attitude is great to have in order to deal with this crazy world. I just wish the Captain of my favorite hockey team didn't have it.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought that Clowe was the one who seemed like a dickhead.

Stackem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would probably be a dickhead too knowing that the 'captain' of my team really had no business being a captain, or had the legitimacy to be calling me out on what I should or should not be doing to help win games. Hell, I would be a HUGE dickead to a guy like that.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would probably be a dickhead too knowing that the 'captain' of my team really had no business being a captain, or had the legitimacy to be calling me out on what I should or should not be doing to help win games. Hell, I would be a HUGE dickead to a guy like that.

Agree 100% of that. Just like at work, youd be a dickhead if you had a lazy ass manager that reported shit like "I dont know why the job isnt getting done, they just wont listen to me blah blah" Well shit would get done if you out there helpin & busting ass like your suppose to. Things trickle down in every aspect of life, if your weakest, laziest link is at the top, dont expect the people under him/she to give 2 shits after a period of time.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What ever happened to the days when guys like Jeff Odgers were captains? Now it seems the C comes with whoever tops the list in salary...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Clowe does end up traded (seeming more and more likely) I hope he goes to Detroit and wins a cup. IMO Clowe is a no nonsense, straightforward guy and deserves to be rewarded for his hard work. It's too bad everyone on the Sharks doesn't have Clowe's passion and desire.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ricci needs to be made the captain...

And bring in Don Frye needs to be brought in for a coach to turn these boys into men. And for those who dont know who Frye (the manliest man ever) is. look him up haha

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe TMac needs to grow some BALLS!

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe TMac needs to grow some BALLS!

Speaking of his balls... if he starts Niemi tomorrow night, 100% chance that he no longer has them.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimbo is a softy. He was never Captain material. When he was appointed Captain, I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that he was the ideal choice. We all HOPED that he would evolve into the role.

And yes, I do think there is a rift between Clowe and Thornton. It has to do more with Clowe not liking Thornton. Filo, you cited one instance last season when Clowe made those remarks that seemed to be a shot at Joe, and I think Heatley. There was another time it happened too, I remember posting about it but I forget the specifics. Then now, this.

I get the feeling that the more Clowe "acts up", the more likely he goes bye bye so that Doug's golden boy will be happy.

Agreed with everything. As for the other incident you're talking about, I don't remember.

And honestly, Joe's outlook on life is a good one. There has to be balance in life. Work, family, yourself. That happy go lucky attitude is great to have in order to deal with this crazy world. I just wish the Captain of my favorite hockey team didn't have it.

Truer words were never spoken. I like Joe Thornton as a person, he seems like a really good dude. I just wish he'd have a frontal lobotomy before the playoffs start.

I've always thought that Clowe was the one who seemed like a dickhead.

I think he's a pretty good guy, he just speaks his mind. He sticks up for his teammates all the time (even after coming back from injuries). I'd be frustrated as all hell too if I worked my ass off and my "Captain" (I use the term loosely) didn't.

Speaking of his balls... if he starts Niemi tomorrow night, 100% chance that he no longer has them.

Well, Niemi vs. Reimer is the supposed matchup per David Pollacks tweet.....good call Chango.