• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: Rams decide to trade 2nd overall pick

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm blindsided by this development! ;)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
its a concern but nothing we can do about it? teams picking HIGH are supposed to get better, thats how the draft works.

IMO lets not worry about it, lets just concern ourselves with the 49ers obtaining another good draft class (relative to their slot).

even Seattle and Arizona have higher slots than us, so they'll get better too.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
to me Miami has too high a slot at #8, they'd have to trade the farm to get past Cleveland and Washington.

Cleveland shouldn't go overboard with their offer, they have a big advantage over Washington.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets say the Dolphins and Redskins sign Manning and Flynn. Is there any chance the Browns decide to stay put and not trade up? Who else would be interested at that point. The Browns know that as long as nobody else trades up they are going to be able to draft RGIII because the Rams and Vikings are going to draft him. (obviously other teams could trade up...but who would be interested and what would they try to offer the Rams?)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
STL trading down, gaining a load of picks, and still getting Blackmon is my biggest divisional concern heading into March and April.

2012 NFL draft -- St. Louis Rams decide to trade No. 2 overall pick, sources say - ESPN

Blackmon and Bradford scares me, but I would welcome it because IMO I think there could be a far greater crisis if draft Gods don't play in our favor. Imagine if they have two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks (in both draft class '12 & '13). They could end up with all these threats on offense in one draft:

Dontari Poe (1st) / LaMichael James (3rd rd) / Coby Fleener (2nd rd) / Peter Konz or David DeCastro (1st)/ Stephen Hill or Kendall Wright (2nd rd). And still be in position to do the same in 2013 - but this time stock on their defense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lets say the Dolphins and Redskins sign Manning and Flynn. Is there any chance the Browns decide to stay put and not trade up? Who else would be interested at that point. The Browns know that as long as nobody else trades up they are going to be able to draft RGIII because the Rams and Vikings are going to draft him. (obviously other teams could trade up...but who would be interested and what would they try to offer the Rams?)

very good question.

it did mention the Rams talking to other teams, but can't imagine the Rams trading out of the top 10? the offer would have to be almost two drafts worth?

the Vikings could trade down too but very similar situation, they'd need a ton of picks in return.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me Miami has too high a slot at #8, they'd have to trade the farm to get past Cleveland and Washington.

Cleveland shouldn't go overboard with their offer, they have a big advantage over Washington.

In the NBA, they feel that if you're bad enough, you're in that boat of needing help, so they have a lottery. In the NFL, you have to be exactly this bad to get it, and Miami wasn't bad enough. (I know what I said wasn't entirely true.)

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Blackmon and Bradford scares me, but I would welcome it because IMO I think there could be a far greater crisis if draft Gods don't play in our favor. Imagine if they have two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks (in both draft class '12 & '13). They could end up with all these threats on offense in one draft:

Dontari Poe (1st) / LaMichael James (3rd rd) / Coby Fleener (2nd rd) / Peter Konz or David DeCastro (1st)/ Stephen Hill or Kendall Wright (2nd rd). And still be in position to do the same in 2013 - but this time stock on their defense.

Sounds like the draft gods ramming their :censored: up our collective :censored:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. I think the only question is when. Do they want to trade the pick now before FA and a couple teams that are looking to move up get their hands on Flynn and Manning, or wait till we get closer to the draft and hope a team falls in love with Griffin even more and is desparate enough to offer them a ton of pick, but will probably have less teams looking to trade up.

If they drop to #4 or #6 they probably get a ton of picks and still have a legitimate shot at Blackmon. A consolation prize is them not being able to land Matt Kalil, though.

Is this the most valuable #2 pick of all time? Jeez.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is one of the reasons why it makes sense to trade the pick before FA.

Kansas City at 11 and Seattle at 12 might also be candidates to trade up, although Seattle hasn't had real contact with Griffin, yet.

Maybe the Bills?

Last edited by a moderator:

jaypok626

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Which is one of the reasons why it makes sense to trade the pick before FA.

Kansas City at 11 and Seattle at 12 might also be candidates to trade up, although Seattle hasn't had real contact with Griffin, yet.

Maybe the Bills?

Kansas City can really worry me. Call me crazy, but, what if they were to offer a franchised Dwayne Bowe as part of the trade?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
lol! Can we say uncreative sports writing here?

If the Rams were smart they'd trade Bradford instead.

RGIII >>>>>>>>>> Bradford.

Yup agree.

The Rams with Bradford do not scare me at all, even if they are able to trade down and get Blackmon along with some high extra picks.

If they would land RGIII and we would have to play against him for the next 12 yrs, now that would be a pain in the ass.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good chance the Rams lose out on Blackmon if they trade the pick. The Vikings need a receiver. The Vikings could also opt to trade the #3 pick to someone wanted to leap the Rams to get Blackmon or even grab Kahlil.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good chance the Rams lose out on Blackmon if they trade the pick. The Vikings need a receiver. The Vikings could also opt to trade the #3 pick to someone wanted to leap the Rams to get Blackmon or even grab Kahlil.

I think if the Rams trade down to #4 they're more likely to take Claiborne than Blackmon.