• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sounds like NFL players are out of shape - Injuries

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I know looks can be deceiving, and I don't know the statistics of injuries during training cam VS injuries regular season practices, but it seems to me a lot of players are getting injured (tearing things, etc) because their bodies aren't ready for football activity yet.

"Out of shape" by NFL standards doesn't mean they're sitting on a couch with a beer gut eating Cheetos. It just means they probably should have taken 2 or 3 weeks before training camp started to just run, lift lower-than-usual weight, stretch & run some individual drills at about half speed. It takes at least 2 weeks to get your body used to athletic activity IMO.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the amount of injuries does seem to be alarming. I wonder if what you said is true, then teams should tone it done quite a bit. Seems like a lot of ACL tears too....

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It just seems like they're going from 0 to 60 extremely fast & their bodies can't take it.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't there a counter-argument that these injuries could also be caused by over-training?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't there a counter-argument that these injuries could also be caused by over-training?

I guess it could be, especially in some situations; however, the fact that they fought to put that into the CBA tends me to believe they wanted to do less. I don't think they fought to stay and work out the same at home, but rather to have more of a break. They believe that having a break would help the body. It got to a ridiculous point, to me, when players could not get playbooks from the team that they were traded to or signed until a certain date. Sometimes practicality rules it out, like if you gave the playbook before the trade was finalized, and then that trade fell through, that would be dumb. But there should not be any rules against it. But the idea was that if you allowed certain things they would be a temptation to overuse the players.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

That could be, but it seems doubtful because this is the time of year that football players should be the most rested.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it could be, especially in some situations; however, the fact that they fought to put that into the CBA tends me to believe they wanted to do less. I don't think they fought to stay and work out the same at home, but rather to have more of a break. They believe that having a break would help the body. It got to a ridiculous point, to me, when players could not get playbooks from the team that they were traded to or signed until a certain date. Sometimes practicality rules it out, like if you gave the playbook before the trade was finalized, and then that trade fell through, that would be dumb. But there should not be any rules against it. But the idea was that if you allowed certain things they would be a temptation to overuse the players.

The idea that over-training caused injuries is probably why they pushed so hard for the new CBA rules. Not saying I believe the argument because I think Jerry Rice and Justin Smith are pretty good examples of guys who tried to keep themselves in football shape year round and they both stayed relatively injury free throughout their careers.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Of course we should mention the elephant in the room that with HGH testing looming players might not be taking their Super Happy Fun Time Anger Go Go Juice like they used to.

But then again I'm sure if you go from training camp year to year you'll have some abnormally low injury count years and abnormally high injury count years and it could be just one of those years where you have a high injury count.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Speaking of out shape...

images

Sorry for the small pic. I posted this on my phone, but you get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of out shape...

images

Sorry for the small pic. I posted this on my phone, but you get the idea.

You know those are really bad angles, right? Or are you just showing it as a joke? They later showed him on the same workout and he looks pretty in shape, for a running back or football player.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the realities here is that ligaments and tendons have no growth other than natural. One could pack on major muscle but could never strengthen those no matter what they do to train.