• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SOS in 2014

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am being honest. BYU is a moderately risky team to schedule. Been well coached for years. Scheduling them 5 yrs in advance is a reasonable game. Better than most AQ OOC games scheduled. Utah State had not been ranked since 1972, when Auburn scheduled them. In fact the prior 6 yrs the highest win total was 4 games in any one season. 17 wins in 6 yrs prior, who was trying to schedule a patsy? You are trying to build a 7-6 Utah State team up because they had success after playing Auburn. Also notice that Auburn didnt give Utah State a home game. The comparison is terrible

September 30, 2011

BYU 27 Utah State 24

October 5, 2012

BYU 6 Utah State 3

October 4, 2013

BYU 31 Utah State 14 (note Chuckie Keeton went out with knee injury first Qtr)

I think this shows Utah State has been competitive with BYU over the last three years and since this is head to head with 2 of the 3 being played in Provo (first two) my point stands.

As for Auburn I don't have an issue with our scheduling and if you want to trash it no biggie some of it is deserved.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
September 30, 2011

BYU 27 Utah State 24

October 5, 2012

BYU 6 Utah State 3

October 4, 2013

BYU 31 Utah State 14 (note Chuckie Keeton went out with knee injury first Qtr)

I think this shows Utah State has been competitive with BYU over the last three years and since this is head to head with 2 of the 3 being played in Provo (first two) my point stands.

As for Auburn I don't have an issue with our scheduling and if you want to trash it no biggie some of it is deserved.

just intellectually dishonest. Why are you giving me information about how Utah State did 2 yrs after playing on the road at Auburn? Again that is not the same as a home and home. Why dont you acknowledge the one team not being ranked in 25 yrs prior to the game, while the other was ranked 17 of 25 yrs. Lets talk about the fact that Utah State at most won 4 games the yr that Auburn signed them. Everyone knows there is volatility in signing a team to play. Sometimes they are better and sometimes they are worse. The intent of signing Utah State prior to 2011 is clearly different. If you can not agree with that we will have a different discussion. One that is trying to decipher if you are lying to me or yourself.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just intellectually dishonest. Why are you giving me information about how Utah State did 2 yrs after playing on the road at Auburn? Again that is not the same as a home and home. Why dont you acknowledge the one team not being ranked in 25 yrs prior to the game, while the other was ranked 17 of 25 yrs. Lets talk about the fact that Utah State at most won 4 games the yr that Auburn signed them. Everyone knows there is volatility in signing a team to play. Sometimes they are better and sometimes they are worse. The intent of signing Utah State prior to 2011 is clearly different. If you can not agree with that we will have a different discussion. One that is trying to decipher if you are lying to me or yourself.

1. We played them in 2011 that is when I started the comparison of BYU and for the record BYU didn't play them at home either until the 3rd year. I don't see it being dishonest and think it's silly you would accuse me of that.

2. I'm not patting myself on the back for playing Utah State just stated we caught crap for it and its no different than playing BYU. That is fair because I consider right now including the last three years the programs are comparable.

3. This has zero to do with the last 25 years and is irrelevant IMO we are discussing the last 3 years when our games were played period.

You seem to be under the impression I am comparing Auburn's SOS to Texas' and I am not. My thesis is that Texas schedules games they absolutely should win with teams that give them the best "window dressing" and then strut around like they have done something. I don't buy it.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody in their right minds considers UTAH STATE and BYU to be the same level program.

BYU is arguably the best mid-major in history.
They do have a national title.
They routinely win 8-10 games and go bowling every season.
If the Big 12 were to invite BYU, nobody would really see a big issue.
If the Big 12 were to invite USU, they would be laughingstocks.

Heck BYU is 23-2 versus Utah State in their last 25 meetings.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. We played them in 2011 that is when I started the comparison of BYU and for the record BYU didn't play them at home either until the 3rd year. I don't see it being dishonest and think it's silly you would accuse me of that.

2. I'm not patting myself on the back for playing Utah State just stated we caught crap for it and its no different than playing BYU. That is fair because I consider right now including the last three years the programs are comparable.

3. This has zero to do with the last 25 years and is irrelevant IMO we are discussing the last 3 years when our games were played period.

You seem to be under the impression I am comparing Auburn's SOS to Texas' and I am not. My thesis is that Texas schedules games they absolutely should win with teams that give them the best "window dressing" and then strut around like they have done something. I don't buy it.

Auburn played in 2011. You gave me game scores in 2012 and 2013. That is intellectually dishonest, when discussing the decision to schedule Utah State by Auburn's AD. The preceding 5-10-15-25 yrs makes all the difference in the world. Saying it does not is perhaps the dumbest words uttered on a message board. If previous history is not important than signing Bama, USC, Texas, or Ohio State is the same as any AQ school.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UTAH STATE and AUBURN played in 2011.
From 1981-2010:
USU had ONE WINNING SEASON.
USU had two bowl appearance
USU had zero poll appearances at any point from 1981-2010.

TEXAS and BYU played in 2010.
From 1981-2009:
BYU had 23 WINNING SEASONS.
BYU had 13 10 win seasons
BYU had 23 bowl game appearances.
BYU had 20 appearances in an AP poll.
BYU has 14 AP top 25 finishes.

Clearly, both Auburn and Texas were EXPECTING the same level of opponents?!?!?!

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time this has nothing to do with who or why Auburn scheduled anyone and you don't see me bragging about our out of conference schedule. Ridicule it at will I don't care.

You guys are the ones that pimp games like BYU and the POINT is you might as well have played Utah State. It's window dressing that makes you feel good about yourselves but it's scheduled to be a win on the books you just want extra credit. It's smart but don't deceive yourself that you're taking on the world either.

How many times have you seen a Texas poster trash Ole Miss when an SEC list them as a quality opponent but when you guys play them they are a fierce top 25 team. Talk about intellectual dishonesty that is the definition. The TRUTH is BYU and Utah State are absolutely comparable but both you guys are having a hissy to argue they aren't. That proves my point your fan base is into window dressing but not reality.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time this has nothing to do with who or why Auburn scheduled anyone and you don't see me bragging about our out of conference schedule. Ridicule it at will I don't care.

You guys are the ones that pimp games like BYU and the POINT is you might as well have played Utah State. It's window dressing that makes you feel good about yourselves but it's scheduled to be a win on the books you just want extra credit. It's smart but don't deceive yourself that you're taking on the world either.

How many times have you seen a Texas poster trash Ole Miss when an SEC list them as a quality opponent but when you guys play them they are a fierce top 25 team. Talk about intellectual dishonesty that is the definition. The TRUTH is BYU and Utah State are absolutely comparable but both you guys are having a hissy to argue they aren't. That proves my point your fan base is into window dressing but not reality.

Who was pimping? You started this about Utah State and BYU. Nobody said a word about Texas, you offered that up on your own. Hissy fit? Come on. That is your way of saying others showed a bunch of facts that you could not counter in a coherent manner. Just say you were wrong and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, all I got to say is: Texas NEVER schedules non-'division 1 or FCS' schools. Anyone wants to talk about cakewalks on a particular SOS?

Teams you will NEVER see Texas play: Citadell, Samford, Jacksonville State, Prairie View a&m, Bethune-Cookman, Furman, William & Mary, Alcorn State, Cal Poly, Florida a&m, Jackson State, Liberty, Hampton, Lamar, Presbyterian, Wofford, and about 100 more.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was pimping? You started this about Utah State and BYU. Nobody said a word about Texas, you offered that up on your own. Hissy fit? Come on. That is your way of saying others showed a bunch of facts that you could not counter in a coherent manner. Just say you were wrong and move on.

LOL you have pimped the BYU game this year and last year even went so far as to say you "were concerned" not to mention in 2011 YOU brought up Auburn having to come from behind to beat Utah State as a negative over at CBS.

Guess what they are comparable from 2011 to 2013 that is the freakin point. Window dressing my friend quit lying to yourself you don't play FCS teams but some of the teams you do play could get there ass kicked by some FCS teams.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, all I got to say is: Texas NEVER schedules non-'division 1 or FCS' schools. Anyone wants to talk about cakewalks on a particular SOS?

Teams you will NEVER see Texas play: Citadell, Samford, Jacksonville State, Prairie View a&m, Bethune-Cookman, Furman, William & Mary, Alcorn State, Cal Poly, Florida a&m, Jackson State, Liberty, Hampton, Lamar, Presbyterian, Wofford, and about 100 more.

No I agree but you "schedule" wins all the same and this is how:

1). You will play home and home and so many teams will take that because a Texas alone will sell a ton of season tickets and help recruiting.

2). As you guys love to point out money isn't an issue so you can afford to do so.

You guys are very fortunate and it allows you to play a smart and PR savvy schedule but it's a tough task to pull off for 90% of the BCS teams. Auburn won't do it because the home games even the crappy ones are not only important for the Athletic budget but it's critical for the City of Auburn businesses. A home game is worth a lot to local businesses and we have to get as many as we can.

Austin has a lot more economical diversity so you really need to realize that when thinking about smaller cities like Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Starkville etc etc. There is a serious political and economical component at work.

So next time your strutting like a peacock and feeling all superior remember those shitty SEC games are feeding families and those "BYU" and "New Mexico" type games that you are traveling away to are window dressing.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At no point in time was I attacking the scheduling tactics of anyone.

I kept my comments to a factual basis on one simple topic.
I merely pointed out that UTAH STATE and BYU are not even close to the same programs.

BYU is a known brand name that is easily comparable to most BCS level league teams.
USU is a much lesser brand name that has almost zero history....(what with spending 1981-2012 never receiving any votes in the AP poll).

If a team agrees to play BYU, whether its Notre Dame, UVA, Texas, OU, Wisconsin or whomever.....

They are expecting a tough opponent that is more than capable of winning.
There is no expectation of beating BYU by 4 touchdowns.

BYU has never been looked at as a cupcake.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last 3 years the programs are comparable period we don't live in the past. Now it remains to be seen if they can maintain with the new coach and after Chuckie Keenton leaves but the past two years very comparable.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last 3 years the programs are comparable period we don't live in the past. Now it remains to be seen if they can maintain with the new coach and after Chuckie Keenton leaves but the past two years very comparable.

Good to know. If Ole Miss wins a national title in 7 yrs I will be sure to use that as evidence to what an awesome team they were in 2013 andwhat a ballsy call it was by the AD to schedule them. History and season mean little it is the performance after the season that one should look at, correct?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL you have pimped the BYU game this year and last year even went so far as to say you "were concerned" not to mention in 2011 YOU brought up Auburn having to come from behind to beat Utah State as a negative over at CBS.

Guess what they are comparable from 2011 to 2013 that is the freakin point. Window dressing my friend quit lying to yourself you don't play FCS teams but some of the teams you do play could get there ass kicked by some FCS teams.

I said I was concerned, because BYU is a bunch of grown men and capable of exposing Texas. Thanks for pointing out how intelligent a poster I am. Pt is Auburn tried to schedule a patsy and you are trying to making it into something. Texas tried to schedule a good mid-major. Those are facts. I never mentioned FCS teams, take that up with your AD

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I agree but you "schedule" wins all the same and this is how:

1). You will play home and home and so many teams will take that because a Texas alone will sell a ton of season tickets and help recruiting.

2). As you guys love to point out money isn't an issue so you can afford to do so.

You guys are very fortunate and it allows you to play a smart and PR savvy schedule but it's a tough task to pull off for 90% of the BCS teams. Auburn won't do it because the home games even the crappy ones are not only important for the Athletic budget but it's critical for the City of Auburn businesses. A home game is worth a lot to local businesses and we have to get as many as we can.

Austin has a lot more economical diversity so you really need to realize that when thinking about smaller cities like Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Starkville etc etc. There is a serious political and economical component at work.

So next time your strutting like a peacock and feeling all superior remember those shitty SEC games are feeding families and those "BYU" and "New Mexico" type games that you are traveling away to are window dressing.

Yes, Texas schedules 'wins', to a certain extent. But your argument just doesn't hold water. Your calling Tuscaloosa a smaller city doesn't make sense. Alabama football is the biggest of the big. I don't understand why they have to schedule an FCS school? Just to spread the money around? I don't buy it.

Your saying a small town team like Bama or Auburn or Tex a&m has to schedule these games, rather than a home-n-home with, say, UCF or BYU, just because the community needs the game income?
I just don't buy that either.

I'm not strutting anything dude. I'm just tired of people bad-mouthing Texas. And you are bad mouthing our SOS, so I gave you my two cents, i.e. Texas does not schedule FCS schools, so quit shitting on our scheduling. BYU is tougher than any FCS school.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I didn't say anything about Utah State. As far as I know, they are FBS, they play in the big leagues, if you will.

I have nothing to do with yall's argument. All I said was, everyone not from Texas bitches about our everything...Scheduling at Texas should not be on that Bitch list. That's all I'm saying.

I just get steamed because it seems we are the favorite on the pile-on-the-shit-let's-bitch-about-them list.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just repeat what I said on another thread. It's nothing personal.

'Something about today, seems every thread I look at has people bitching about Texas. Just got tired of it today. '

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jefe,

Look at the tread title, look who started the tread and look who is number one on the "best" list. If you are tired of the conversation take it up with your fellow posters because if they are going to pimp their SOS it's only fair they catch crap for it. Otherwise just keep it on the Texas bds.

BTW Alabama and Ohio State catch a lot more crap on these bds so toughen up a little.