• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SOS in 2014

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I would freak out if the Ducks were playing fcs schools in November. Revolt time.

Couldn't even imagine it. 20 years of season tix and I have never had to put up with that BS and hopefully never will.

totally with you on that. I remeber USC played Idaho( pretty sure) one year to begin the season as a favor to their head coach who used to be an assistant at SC and we were hating the game. it was a glorified scrimmage and I'm sorry on a beautiful saturday here we have plenty of other options. The fan base would never allow SC to play a cupcake second to last game of the season. I guess that's where there's a huge difference in the fan bases. Alabama fan could "give a fuck" about spending a saturday in November watching your team basically play a scrimmage when other schools have real games. Yet they think of themselves as "real fans". I'd rather watch an entertaining game where it's possible that the other team can actually play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot believe Texas is playing another series with UCLA.
It seems like the 40 Acres plays them every other year.

The Bruins are the strangest team to schedule in advance.
They are almost impossible to predict how it will turn out in 5 years.

Sometimes you get a 4-8 team...sometimes you get a 10-2 team...
You have no idea whether you are scheduling a cupcake or a national title fringe contender.

Maybe Texas likes the Russian Roulette game of scheduling UCLA.

They do play each other a lot it seems. I didn't bother to look up the all-time record, but the last few match ups have not been kind to Texas. There was the series in the late 90s. Those two games went really badly. One of them was the Route 66 game too. Then there was the series from a few years ago. UCLA crushed them in the first game although UT was really bad that year. They got some revenge by blasting UCLA the following year.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do play each other a lot it seems. I didn't bother to look up the all-time record, but the last few match ups have not been kind to Texas. There was the series in the late 90s. Those two games went really badly. One of them was the Route 66 game too. Then there was the series from a few years ago. UCLA crushed them in the first game although UT was really bad that year. They got some revenge by blasting UCLA the following year.

The 2014 game at Jerry's World was scheduled after UT and UCLA split the last series. 2010 UCLA beat Texas 34-12 in Austin and in 2011 Texas beat UCLA 49-20 in LA. It's the rubber match game held in neutral(?) Dallas. The all-time series is tied at 3-3.
It will be a long time before UT and UCLA play in the regular season as UT schedule is full until 2018 when they play OOC games against USC and Maryland. So, I doubt Texas will schedule anything other than a non-AQ for the open slot.
It is funny how Mack would schedule these games and not try to recruit Cali players.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama should get some sort of dismal scheduling prize for ( again) playing every single cupcake at home , never scheduling anyone these for home and home. Notice the Ohio States , USCs Michigans, Texas of the college football world actually travel to some of their OCC games. And the fact that Alabama schedules the likes of Western Carolina for their second to last game should embarrass their fans. Must be nice to play the local community college the week everyone is playing conference foes or their rivals.

Bama overall SoS 2008-2013-19.5

USC overall SoS 2008-2013---19

What exactly are you whining about again?

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused why ASU's is one of the 10 worst. Two cream puffs (one of them for some reason on the road), and Notre Dame. They've got a legitimate OOC opponent. North Carolina has 3 cream puff type teams (and you can argue over the relative strength of non AQs I guess), and Notre Dame, but they make the top 10.

Liberty for NC, Weber State for ASU- I don't even know where those schools are, so I'm assuming they both are non-threats.

San Diego State for NC, New Mexico for ASU - I know where they are at least. I'm relatively certain they still aren't real threats.

So @East Carolina (in lieu of an extra conference game) and the location of playing Notre Dame is the difference between top 10 and bottom 10?

I don't get it.

EDIT: LOL In my research I find that East Carolina beat both North Carolina and NC State last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course there is going to be a bias towards a 9-game conference schedule...hopefully the SEC doesn't learn this too late.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
totally with you on that. I remeber USC played Idaho( pretty sure) one year to begin the season as a favor to their head coach who used to be an assistant at SC and we were hating the game. it was a glorified scrimmage and I'm sorry on a beautiful saturday here we have plenty of other options. The fan base would never allow SC to play a cupcake second to last game of the season. I guess that's where there's a huge difference in the fan bases. Alabama fan could "give a fuck" about spending a saturday in November watching your team basically play a scrimmage when other schools have real games. Yet they think of themselves as "real fans". I'd rather watch an entertaining game where it's possible that the other team can actually play.

tumblr_lw9kerUGDW1r8rbaao1_400.jpg

Still not giving a fuck, but glad to see your jimmies are all rustled about it. Lived in Rolling Hills for 5 years went to 4 games at the Coliseum...sorry not impressed, just as many douchebag fans there as there ever was at a Bama game. Sure you have to put up with a few snoozefests at Alabama, but USC-Oregon at the Coliseum does not compare with Alabama vs a half a dozen SEC teams at Bryant Denny. Kudos to USC for the pageantry though, lots of great traditions that make the atmosphere good, just wish the football was better.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not giving a fuck, but glad to see your jimmies are all rustled about it. Lived in Rolling Hills for 5 years went to 4 games at the Coliseum...sorry not impressed, just as many douchebag fans there as there ever was at a Bama game. Sure you have to put up with a few snoozefests at Alabama, but USC-Oregon at the Coliseum does not compare with Alabama vs a half a dozen SEC teams at Bryant Denny. Kudos to USC for the pageantry though, lots of great traditions that make the atmosphere good, just wish the football was better.

There is just so much else to do in Southern California (and the west coast in general)...there are much fewer diehard SC fans who live and breathe Trojan football.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama overall SoS 2008-2013-19.5

USC overall SoS 2008-2013---19

What exactly are you whining about again?

:L

The SEC schedule kinda makes up for your lack of schedule outside the conference. Still piss-poor

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas King of the strategic cupcake game that will make their schedule look good on paper. Sucks that BYU and Ole Miss didn't play ball and funny that you are worried about UCLA now that they have improved.

Actually, Ole Miss played ball the 1st time when we dropped 66 pts (should have easily been 80 had Mack not shown mercy) on them in Oxford. Why don't you Team SEC sack sniffers ever talk about that game?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Ole Miss played ball the 1st time when we dropped 66 pts (should have easily been 80 had Mack not shown mercy) on them in Oxford. Why don't you Team SEC sack sniffers ever talk about that game?

1. Not sniffing anything SEC because BYU was put in there also.
2. You know damn well when Ole Miss and BYU where schedule you guys thought they would be cake walks. I am always amused how when an SEC team brings up Ole Miss they are a door mat but when you are playing them they are a quality team.

I really want Auburn to play Texas home and home so I can sit back and read the posts from Texas fans proclaiming us a great team and the 2nd coming.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Not sniffing anything SEC because BYU was put in there also.
2. You know damn well when Ole Miss and BYU where schedule you guys thought they would be cake walks. I am always amused how when an SEC team brings up Ole Miss they are a door mat but when you are playing them they are a quality team.

I really want Auburn to play Texas home and home so I can sit back and read the posts from Texas fans proclaiming us a great team and the 2nd coming.
-
Nobody would schedule a home and home with BYU and anticipate cake walk. They have been one of the best mid-majors since Lavell Edwards started coaching there. Nobody says BYU is great, just a solid and dangerous OOC opponent. Your comments are just stupid. Since your little slap fight with Charlie, your comments on Texas have been over the top.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm trying to figure out what's the difference between a real game in "November" or "August" or "September"?
Don't they all count? I can't imagine all those years the SEC was playing title games and the majority of the other power conferences weren't. The horror! Oh the horror! :rollseyes:

I also can't figure out why Alabama going to Dallas is not considered a road game? They get on a plane and fly over there. Just like if playing in Atlanta. Guess it just matters where your bread is buttered and what helps your argument better? :noidea:

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Nobody would schedule a home and home with BYU and anticipate cake walk. They have been one of the best mid-majors since Lavell Edwards started coaching there. Nobody says BYU is great, just a solid and dangerous OOC opponent. Your comments are just stupid. Since your little slap fight with Charlie, your comments on Texas have been over the top.

I don't remember the Charlie thing but there have been so many.

Mid-Majors = Cakewalk or should be for programs like Texas

Auburn caught major flack several years ago for playing Utah State and BYU is in that category. I'm sorry you feel my comments are over the top but you can't pimp out OCC games like BYU and act like you are taking on the world it just doesn't fly.

I mean you guys have played teams like New Mexico State and give SEC schools crap about playing Florida Atlantic it's all the same stuff automatic wins on the schedule.

Now I admit Auburn playing Samford is a little ridiculous but Pat Sullivan (one of our Heisman Trophy winners) is the coach and it's a huge payday for their program so this is really charity on our part. I honestly do not care what our OCG's are we just need one really nice one every year and I'm fine with that. In fact I would argue that Auburn and Alabama should play at least one UAB, Troy, Jacksonville State, UNA and Samford on a rotating basis keeping the revenue in the state of Alabama.

Florida catches crap for not playing out of state but how many millions stay in their boarders by doing it? When a Troy plays an LSU the state of Louisiana loses and Alabama wins. When LSU plays LA Tech its a win win.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember the Charlie thing but there have been so many.

Mid-Majors = Cakewalk or should be for programs like Texas

Auburn caught major flack several years ago for playing Utah State and BYU is in that category. I'm sorry you feel my comments are over the top but you can't pimp out OCC games like BYU and act like you are taking on the world it just doesn't fly.

I mean you guys have played teams like New Mexico State and give SEC schools crap about playing Florida Atlantic it's all the same stuff automatic wins on the schedule.

Now I admit Auburn playing Samford is a little ridiculous but Pat Sullivan (one of our Heisman Trophy winners) is the coach and it's a huge payday for their program so this is really charity on our part. I honestly do not care what our OCG's are we just need one really nice one every year and I'm fine with that. In fact I would argue that Auburn and Alabama should play at least one UAB, Troy, Jacksonville State, UNA and Samford on a rotating basis keeping the revenue in the state of Alabama.

Florida catches crap for not playing out of state but how many millions stay in their boarders by doing it? When a Troy plays an LSU the state of Louisiana loses and Alabama wins. When LSU plays LA Tech its a win win.

No.. Utah State was a terrible program until Anderson came. Comparing Utah State and BYU is ridiculous. BYU has a NC. BYU has been ranked 17 times in the final polls since. To put that in perspective, Auburn has been ranked 22 times.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.. Utah State was a terrible program until Anderson came. Comparing Utah State and BYU is ridiculous. BYU has a NC. BYU has been ranked 17 times in the final polls since. To put that in perspective, Auburn has been ranked 22 times.
-
17 time since 1977. Not all mid-majors are the same.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
17 time since 1977. Not all mid-majors are the same.

Utah State went to a bowl game the year we played them and has gone to 3 straight they are competitive with BYU right now and that is all that is relevant.

Your comment proves the mentality it's a manipulation game to "pretty" up the schedule but risk adverse. It bit you last year but that was an anomaly. If you were honest you would admit that playing those type of games makes you feel good but you're really not accomplishing anything.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Ole Miss series was arranged by Houston Nutt after Arkansas backed out of the 2009 game in March of that year. It had nothing to do about scheduling cupcakes, just a series to replace the game that Petrino didn't want to play.

... We had a slap fight?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now I admit Auburn playing Samford is a little ridiculous but Pat Sullivan (one of our Heisman Trophy winners) is the coach and it's a huge payday for their program so this is really charity on our part....

Actually, we give SEC crap about playing FCS teams. FBS teams like New Mexico State is what Texas does instead of playing FCS teams.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah State went to a bowl game the year we played them and has gone to 3 straight they are competitive with BYU right now and that is all that is relevant.

Your comment proves the mentality it's a manipulation game to "pretty" up the schedule but risk adverse. It bit you last year but that was an anomaly. If you were honest you would admit that playing those type of games makes you feel good but you're really not accomplishing anything.

I am being honest. BYU is a moderately risky team to schedule. Been well coached for years. Scheduling them 5 yrs in advance is a reasonable game. Better than most AQ OOC games scheduled. Utah State had not been ranked since 1972, when Auburn scheduled them. In fact the prior 6 yrs the highest win total was 4 games in any one season. 17 wins in 6 yrs prior, who was trying to schedule a patsy? You are trying to build a 7-6 Utah State team up because they had success after playing Auburn. Also notice that Auburn didnt give Utah State a home game. The comparison is terrible