• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sooner Network to be available in Austin

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So OU is moving in on UT territory? How the hell did Texas not get Fox to pick up the Longhorn Network in Austin?

Edit: Nevermind, it's because ESPN has complete control over the LHN 3rd tier rights and won't cut deals with anybody... Jesus Texas, if people hated you before, now that your feeding the machine the angry mob might just show up on the doorstep...

Last edited by a moderator:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So OU is moving in on UT territory? How the hell did Texas not get Fox to pick up the Longhorn Network in Austin?

Texas doesn't own any part of the LHN.....it's completely owned and operated by ESPN. They are demanding a higher per customer charge than the entire Big 10 network for like 2 football games, so no carriers are picking up the channel. Regardless, Texas gets their 300 mill.

OU is going with a much more affordable option. But this is something I tried to tell everyone last year......school networks are the future, not conference networks. They make more money for the schools. Florida will most likely be the next school to cut a deal.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas doesn't own any part of the LHN.....it's completely owned and operated by ESPN. They are demanding a higher per customer charge than the entire Big 10 network for like 2 football games, so no carriers are picking up the channel. Regardless, Texas gets their 300 mill.

OU is going with a much more affordable option. But this is something I tried to tell everyone last year......school networks are the future, not conference networks. They make more money for the schools. Florida will most likely be the next school to cut a deal.

I realized that, hence the edit to the post and it should read "Jesus ESPN", not Texas. Really hurts the fans that should be able to watch Texas games regionally that ESPN jacks up the cost to broadcast the LHN; my school would be a tougher sell for a school network, as we don't graduate more than 6 or 7k a year. Outside the major south east cities and SC, there's not a whole lot of demand for our product, but hopefully that changes in the next decade...

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realized that, hence the edit to the post and it should read "Jesus ESPN", not Texas. Really hurts the fans that should be able to watch Texas games regionally that ESPN jacks up the cost to broadcast the LHN; my school would be a tougher sell for a school network, as we don't graduate more than 6 or 7k a year. Outside the major south east cities and SC, there's not a whole lot of demand for our product, but hopefully that changes in the next decade...

What ESPN is waiting on is the fact their cable deals expire with a lot of the carriers this year. They will include the LHN in their basic package and force the regional carriers to buy it. It's shady, but I know they will have Direct TV and other satellite carriers by the balls when they do this.

That would force Time Warner/Uverse to follow suit, and then they'd have to pay whatever ESPN wanted.

It's dirty business. I would prefer Texas not be associated with it.

As far as your school goes, keep in mind that this is all 3rd tier content. It's games no one else elected to broadcast, mostly OOC stuff. So there will be an interest from at least alumni and students. It doesn't have to be national to be a success or profitable for your school.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ESPN is waiting on is the fact their cable deals expire with a lot of the carriers this year. They will include the LHN in their basic package and force the regional carriers to buy it. It's shady, but I know they will have Direct TV and other satellite carriers by the balls when they do this.

That would force Time Warner/Uverse to follow suit, and then they'd have to pay whatever ESPN wanted.

It's dirty business. I would prefer Texas not be associated with it.

As far as your school goes, keep in mind that this is all 3rd tier content. It's games no one else elected to broadcast, mostly OOC stuff. So there will be an interest from at least alumni and students. It doesn't have to be national to be a success or profitable for your school.

It's sickening how much influence ESPN has, not only over media/broadcasting rights but over the dumbasses that blindly follow whatever they say. Wonder if they'll have Craig James run for president in the next decade or so...

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame Texas!!! :ss:

You're doing it wrong. You have to go on a rant blaming Texas for the loss in your bowl game, the NU loss, the Michigan loss, and the Wisconsin loss......and tie them all together for dramatic effect.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're doing it wrong. You have to go on a rant blaming Texas for the loss in your bowl game, the NU loss, the Michigan loss, and the Wisconsin loss......and tie them all together for dramatic effect.

No, then you have to blame tSEC for causing Texas to go rogue!