• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some miscellaneous stuff

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point taken.
It was a collective fuckup for the FO (not to mention to discount the scouting dept's work) and go all-in for a DE. But it came down to one person's prerogative that led us to take Taco. This wasn't a scenario of we have several players with close grades....take the need. The need was dire. They were looking for Rod to be the one voice in the room to identify the one he thinks he can mold or fit. I pray that won't happen ever again.

I had Chaisson as one of the guys I liked, but he was a tad undersized. As it turns out, it took him a while to get his feet wet in Jax, but then started paying dividends. He wouldn't have cured our many ills, but he could have made a better play than Smith down the 2020 stretch. Moving forward, he could be the one to duel Randy Gregory. I would still trade CeeDee pick for him. Maybe CeeDee turns out better over the long haul, its possible. I sure hope if we end up with Kyle Pitts that he can play D too. Only offensive position I won't be terribly upset would be an O lineman. I would at least understand.

(Chaisson stats below).
  • 16 games (three starts)
  • 19 tackles
  • 1 pass defended
  • 20 quarterback hurries
  • Nine quarterback hits
  • Seven quarterback knockdowns
  • 29 quarterback pressures
  • One sack
  • Four missed tackles
Randy Gregory: 10 games, 0 starts, 15 tackles, 1 pass defend, 3 QB hurries, 16 QB pressures), 12 QB hits, 8 knockdowns, 3.5 sacks, 3 FF.
Rod also the reason we picked Trystan Hill who to date has looked the same or even possibly worse than Taco did over Thornhill. How much better could we be having a mulligan there?

As far as Chaisson goes he had 568 snaps last year. Gregory had 271. Gregory wasn't ready when he first came back (his own fault of course) and might have been one of the best players on the team the last couple of games. He and Chaisson look ngiht and day different. Being better than Smith was down the stretch is not what I'm looking for at pick #17 in the draft even in year 1. As far as trading Cee Dee for him? We clearly watched different games. I would literally go ballistic if the team even considered that.

My point is give me a great player over an ok player at a position of need over and over and over again. Stars win Football games nowadays and this team isn't likely not winning a SB this year with 3 picks in the top 10. And again the reason those are huge needs is because we screw up FA every single year over and over again and we don't learn from it. We resign our own average players and are surprised we keep being an average team. Don't now screw up the draft too by trying to make up for FA failures. Fill your needs in FA when you have a whole list of expensive, middle of the pack and cheap proven players to pick from. Don't take a Hill because he looks like a 3 you are lacking or a Taco because you are desperate for a pass rusher. It's just dumb IMO. If Pitts or Chase falls you take them and figure out out later unless you have one of these defensive guys rated close, which I don't. OL I agree and am totally fine with it and called for it last year. Anyone who hasn't seen Smith's decline and injury issues isn't watching. It's like with Sean Lee. At some point you have to admit it isn't bad luck with injuries. Some guys just can't stay healthy.

Give me a CB, a LB, a 3 tech a safety and an OL and I'm happier than a pig in shit, but it better be because you thought all of those players were the best pick at the time or it will just be another batch of Hill, Taco picks that don't help any way. I'm tired of being happy in April and May. I want to be happy in January and that only comes from having great players. Luckily it looks like Surtain and to a lesser extent IMO Horn may represent both a position of great need and great player :hope:

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rod also the reason we picked Trystan Hill who to date has looked the same or even possibly worse than Taco did over Thornhill. How much better could we be having a mulligan there?

As far as Chaisson goes he had 568 snaps last year. Gregory had 271. Gregory wasn't ready when he first came back (his own fault of course) and might have been one of the best players on the team the last couple of games. He and Chaisson look ngiht and day different. Being better than Smith was down the stretch is not what I'm looking for at pick #17 in the draft even in year 1. As far as trading Cee Dee for him? We clearly watched different games. I would literally go ballistic if the team even considered that.

My point is give me a great player over an ok player at a position of need over and over and over again. Stars win Football games nowadays and this team isn't likely not winning a SB this year with 3 picks in the top 10. And again the reason those are huge needs is because we screw up FA every single year over and over again and we don't learn from it. We resign our own average players and are surprised we keep being an average team. Don't now screw up the draft too by trying to make up for FA failures. Fill your needs in FA when you have a whole list of expensive, middle of the pack and cheap proven players to pick from. Don't take a Hill because he looks like a 3 you are lacking or a Taco because you are desperate for a pass rusher. It's just dumb IMO. If Pitts or Chase falls you take them and figure out out later unless you have one of these defensive guys rated close, which I don't. OL I agree and am totally fine with it and called for it last year. Anyone who hasn't seen Smith's decline and injury issues isn't watching. It's like with Sean Lee. At some point you have to admit it isn't bad luck with injuries. Some guys just can't stay healthy.

Give me a CB, a LB, a 3 tech a safety and an OL and I'm happier than a pig in shit, but it better be because you thought all of those players were the best pick at the time or it will just be another batch of Hill, Taco picks that don't help any way. I'm tired of being happy in April and May. I want to be happy in January and that only comes from having great players. Luckily it looks like Surtain and to a lesser extent IMO Horn may represent both a position of great need and great player :hope:
about the only time (I am sure their might be an exception) I am good with taking need over the quality of the player (draft grade etc...) is if they grade close to each other. other than that.
Take the quality of the player. Probably minus the QB if we have a franchise QB. Although that has bit us in the ass before as well (i.e. Montana)
Like I said. I am sure there are exceptions.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After not being stupid about our needs, we then go down in history books for futility. Finished the year tops in franchise history in points allowed and second in yards given up. Good thing we will now play 17 games to maybe clear those off the record book. Needs are not wants.
There wasn't one D player who looked like a nice pick at 17 and CeeDee was by far BPA and a steal.

This year there will be a couple of CB worthy of #10, but if Pitts is still there he will be the same steal CeeDee was. Also OT is a need IMO.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chaisson was a nice pick. He is not an every down DE yet, but we were going to run more 3-4 under Nolan and we needed pressure players to do it. He would have fit better here than most teams. Y'all acting like the kid is Taco. He is a quicker, shorter length Gregory that can fly to the ball. We could use one of him in this draft.
Also, I wasn't going to mention this, but I don't think CeeDee was even the best WR available at 17. Need to stop making him out to be bigger than he is, or else he'll be making 100 million in 3 years. Good player playing mostly slot bracketed by Coop and Gallup. He is better than Beasley, but shouldn't he at pick 17?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to stop making him out to be bigger than he is, or else he'll be making 100 million in 3 years. Good player playing mostly slot bracketed by Coop and Gallup. He is better than Beasley, but shouldn't he at pick 17?
Husker...you know darn well fans don't determine a players salary. Sure Ceedee had way to many drops last season, but he flashed his talent. He was the correct pick at 17 regardless what the Vikings receiver did last season. The draft is in no way an exact science and all this needs another couple of years to determine who is who

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
about the only time (I am sure their might be an exception) I am good with taking need over the quality of the player (draft grade etc...) is if they grade close to each other. other than that.
Take the quality of the player. Probably minus the QB if we have a franchise QB. Although that has bit us in the ass before as well (i.e. Montana)
Like I said. I am sure there are exceptions.
I totally agree. I'm not saying if we had a TE ranked about even or slightly ahead of a CB that we should take the TE. I'm saying if we have a TE ranked way ahead of the CB take the TE and don't even think about it

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my 1st 5 picks with no trades:

10. Patrick Surtain II CB Alabama
44. Jevon Holland S Oregon
75. Walker Little OT Stanford
115. Bobby Brown III DL1T Texas A&M
138. Drake Jackson OC Kentucky

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kick those tires but he may be out of our price range. I think its another week or two before the date after which signings don't hurt your comp picks. So I suspect we won't hear anything form the Cowboys on anyone other than nickel and dimers until after that date (maybe the 28th?)
How many F'ing rules does the NFL have?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many F'ing rules does the NFL have?
Biased judging criteria and incompetent judging in MMA | Sherdog Forums |  UFC, MMA & Boxing Discussion

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There wasn't one D player who looked like a nice pick at 17 and CeeDee was by far BPA and a steal.

This year there will be a couple of CB worthy of #10, but if Pitts is still there he will be the same steal CeeDee was. Also OT is a need IMO.
If Pitts is there when we are on the clock, I hope JJ is on 5 different phone calls.

I am a BPA guy but want to throw in a bit of common sense too. If no takers for an extra 2 or something better then I wouldn't die if Pitts became a Cowboy. I love TEs. And he could be the guy that breaks records.

I look at what the lions did with #1 picks and they kept selecting WR. Finally hit with Megatron but others were a disgrace.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not t oput the cart before the horse, but one of my favorite things to read is the UDFAs that we pick up after the draft. Plus, it seems more of them stick with the team for over a year than our free agent signings!!!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering if the best case scenario for me isn't BPA at #10 and then trading back into the first round with our 2nd pick to grab whatever DB we love that is still out there - even if the pick at #10 is DB. I think some really good DBs go in that end of 1st/beginning of 2nd area. This allows you to both fill a need and grab a potential superstar.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What else is new

Miss You Love GIF by Gavin James

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my 1st 5 picks with no trades:

10. Patrick Surtain II CB Alabama
44. Jevon Holland S Oregon
75. Walker Little OT Stanford
115. Bobby Brown III DL1T Texas A&M
138. Drake Jackson OC Kentucky
My first 5 wish list:
10. Jaycee Horn CB S. Car (I'd be fine with Surtain, just like the alpha Horn brings better)
44. Richie Grant FS UCF ( I can live with Holland )
75. Alim McNeill DT NC State ( Solid 1 Tech to pair with Galamore & Hill)
99. Spencer Brown OT Northern Iowa (good foot speed, and power)
138. Derrick Barnes LB Purdue ( great speed & instincts...my #1 sleeper in this draft)

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first 5 wish list:
10. Jaycee Horn CB S. Car (I'd be fine with Surtain, just like the alpha Horn brings better)
44. Richie Grant FS UCF ( I can live with Holland )
75. Alim McNeill DT NC State ( Solid 1 Tech to pair with Galamore & Hill)
99. Spencer Brown OT Northern Iowa (good foot speed, and power)
138. Derrick Barnes LB Purdue ( great speed & instincts...my #1 sleeper in this draft)
I could live with those choices but you didn’t list a pick at 115