• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some miscellaneous stuff

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a disgrace this man is not in the HOF.
Yes it is. Woodson was on The radio a couple weeks back on 105.3 the fan. They askEd how he got his jersey number. Woody laughed and said he was with the equipment Guy in the locker room and he threw him #28 and said he is your number kid. And that was that.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else get the idea that if you bought McCarthy a few beers at a bar he would pretty much just tell you everything about what the Cowboys are thinking relating to the draft? No wonder Jerry likes him...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else get the idea that if you bought McCarthy a few beers at a bar he would pretty much just tell you everything about what the Cowboys are thinking relating to the draft? No wonder Jerry likes him...
Not funny.

OK, maybe it is.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry likes to talk.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones was asked about filling a need over what could be a better player available on offense, such as Florida tight end Kyle Pitts. A year ago, the Cowboys had similar defensive needs but selected wide receiver CeeDee Lamb, their sixth-rated player, at No. 17 overall.

"I think the real thing to do is don't be stupid over your needs," Jones said. "Just don't be ridiculous."

Jones acknowledged that "we've got a good chance to have a top defensive player, the top, or one of the top, be there at 10." Cornerbacks Patrick Surtain II and Jaycee Horn are among the top considerations.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like that takes Sewell and Slater off of the board.
and Horn and Chase and Parsons and Farley

I think there is zero doubt it is a little bit of yellow flag because you are going off of year and a half old data and maybe drops guys a little, but I would be very surprised if it makes us not draft a guy. Maybe if you are torn you take a guy that played over a guy that didn't I guess because you have more recent film on him but I suspect that is probably about as far as it will go.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A year ago, the Cowboys had similar defensive needs but selected wide receiver CeeDee Lamb, their sixth-rated player, at No. 17 overall.

"I think the real thing to do is don't be stupid over your needs," Jones said. "Just don't be ridiculous."
After not being stupid about our needs, we then go down in history books for futility. Finished the year tops in franchise history in points allowed and second in yards given up. Good thing we will now play 17 games to maybe clear those off the record book. Needs are not wants.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After not being stupid about our needs, we then go down in history books for futility. Finished the year tops in franchise history in points allowed and second in yards given up. Good thing we will now play 17 games to maybe clear those off the record book. Needs are not wants.
Using last year as an example thank god we took CeeDee and not Chaisson IMO

Blame the needs on free agency decisions but don't screw up your draft because of it. The last time we went into the draft deciding on position over player it gave us Taco

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do a good bit of scouting, surely we can find a first round defender in 20 and 21 drafts.
Our backs aren't against the wall on any one position. It was the opinion of a coach over our scouting dept. that gave us Taco. Hindsight 20/20 and all that is nice, but we should have been bullish on a defender last year and now we have more holes to fill and fewer resources to use. Ceedee picks are like that saying robbing Peter to pay Paul. Peter needs to get his. TWSS.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do a good bit of scouting, surely we can find a first round defender in 20 and 21 drafts.
Our backs aren't against the wall on any one position. It was the opinion of a coach over our scouting dept. that gave us Taco. Hindsight 20/20 and all that is nice, but we should have been bullish on a defender last year and now we have more holes to fill and fewer resources to use. Ceedee picks are like that saying robbing Peter to pay Paul. Peter needs to get his. TWSS.
The point is Chaisson was the defender we were picking. I'm sure there were guys available at that time that we would look back on now and like but he was the one the team was going to take if Lamb went. As far as Taco goes it was made crystal clear we wanted a weak side DE in that spot and we were taking one no matter what. A bunch went before we were on the clock and we still just took one. It was like only one position was on our list for 1st round options. I'm not blaming one person for that. I'm, blaming not being flexible and instead of taking BPA or BPA at any position of need we took the biggest need and regretted it. The guy that others in the room like was Kevin King who went to GB. He may not be the greatest player but he's better than Taco.

Who knows what we will do or should do even. I want a defender and would pass on a comparable offensive player to take D. But I'm not passing on a guy we love just because he is on offense to take a guy we "like" on defense. :2cents:

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is Chaisson was the defender we were picking. I'm sure there were guys available at that time that we would look back on now and like but he was the one the team was going to take if Lamb went. As far as Taco goes it was made crystal clear we wanted a weak side DE in that spot and we were taking one no matter what. A bunch went before we were on the clock and we still just took one. It was like only one position was on our list for 1st round options. I'm not blaming one person for that. I'm, blaming not being flexible and instead of taking BPA or BPA at any position of need we took the biggest need and regretted it. The guy that others in the room like was Kevin King who went to GB. He may not be the greatest player but he's better than Taco.

Who knows what we will do or should do even. I want a defender and would pass on a comparable offensive player to take D. But I'm not passing on a guy we love just because he is on offense to take a guy we "like" on defense. :2cents:
Point taken.
It was a collective fuckup for the FO (not to mention to discount the scouting dept's work) and go all-in for a DE. But it came down to one person's prerogative that led us to take Taco. This wasn't a scenario of we have several players with close grades....take the need. The need was dire. They were looking for Rod to be the one voice in the room to identify the one he thinks he can mold or fit. I pray that won't happen ever again.

I had Chaisson as one of the guys I liked, but he was a tad undersized. As it turns out, it took him a while to get his feet wet in Jax, but then started paying dividends. He wouldn't have cured our many ills, but he could have made a better play than Smith down the 2020 stretch. Moving forward, he could be the one to duel Randy Gregory. I would still trade CeeDee pick for him. Maybe CeeDee turns out better over the long haul, its possible. I sure hope if we end up with Kyle Pitts that he can play D too. Only offensive position I won't be terribly upset would be an O lineman. I would at least understand.

(Chaisson stats below).
  • 16 games (three starts)
  • 19 tackles
  • 1 pass defended
  • 20 quarterback hurries
  • Nine quarterback hits
  • Seven quarterback knockdowns
  • 29 quarterback pressures
  • One sack
  • Four missed tackles
Randy Gregory: 10 games, 0 starts, 15 tackles, 1 pass defend, 3 QB hurries, 16 QB pressures), 12 QB hits, 8 knockdowns, 3.5 sacks, 3 FF.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point taken.
It was a collective fuckup for the FO (not to mention to discount the scouting dept's work) and go all-in for a DE. But it came down to one person's prerogative that led us to take Taco. This wasn't a scenario of we have several players with close grades....take the need. The need was dire. They were looking for Rod to be the one voice in the room to identify the one he thinks he can mold or fit. I pray that won't happen ever again.

I had Chaisson as one of the guys I liked, but he was a tad undersized. As it turns out, it took him a while to get his feet wet in Jax, but then started paying dividends. He wouldn't have cured our many ills, but he could have made a better play than Smith down the 2020 stretch. Moving forward, he could be the one to duel Randy Gregory. I would still trade CeeDee pick for him. Maybe CeeDee turns out better over the long haul, its possible. I sure hope if we end up with Kyle Pitts that he can play D too. Only offensive position I won't be terribly upset would be an O lineman. I would at least understand.

(Chaisson stats below).
  • 16 games (three starts)
  • 19 tackles
  • 1 pass defended
  • 20 quarterback hurries
  • Nine quarterback hits
  • Seven quarterback knockdowns
  • 29 quarterback pressures
  • One sack
  • Four missed tackles
Randy Gregory: 10 games, 0 starts, 15 tackles, 1 pass defend, 3 QB hurries, 16 QB pressures), 12 QB hits, 8 knockdowns, 3.5 sacks, 3 FF.
Sorry. Give me Ceedee all day long from last years draft.

Stats from a jags DL vs. our DL with a shit show DC, where we alternate players all the time (apples & oranges) to compare stats doesnt paint an accurate picture using stats.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry. Give me Ceedee all day long from last years draft.

Stats from a jags DL vs. our DL with a shit show DC, where we alternate players all the time (apples & oranges) to compare stats doesnt paint an accurate picture using stats.
Just pointed out that he is certainly a guy that would have helped us last year and moving forward. A.Smith played 800 snaps and RG got less than 300. This kid got around 550 (alternating) and by all accounts started playing very well later in the year. Not like Jax had an amazing D either. They do have the #1 overall pick this year. To each, his own.