• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So, who do the Seahawks sign next?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be 29 in 2 months. And tons of mileage on him.

He has been a work horse, but don't forget he didn't get much playing time for a year and a half in his final days in Buffalo sitting behind fred Jackson and CJ Spiller. That's a good chunk of time of not getting knocked around.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too agree that Wags is next to sign. No way PC/JS will let him sniff at FA. I think the Wilson contract will get done before training camp opens up.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is precedence involved. Take care of your players. You dont earn developing player's trust by trying to be cheap with your main producers, you want them to feel that they can earn as much contract leverage as possible by producing as much as possible.

Yes, Lynch is 28, and yes he takes a pounding, but he's running like he's in his prime. You dont play scared in terms of rewarding him with the anticipation that his production is going to fall off a cliff. 36 previous NFL RBs carried the ball more times than Lynch has, some have doubled what he has. Just because Alexander was handled improperly doesnt mean they're going to do that with Lynch.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Shaun Alexander contract is looked back at too much. It was technically 8 year 62 million, but unless everything went perfect for him he wasn't seeing the last 3 years of that deal. It was more like a 5 year 35 million dollar contract, of which he saw a little over half.

Personally, I have always felt that they cut him a year too soon (no way he wasn't at least as good as Julius Jones, and despite his poor numbers in 2007 it was still the best Seahawk running back season until Lynch in 2011) as it costed them more money to cut him that year than it would have costed to pay him. Hell, if Seattle's line hadn't dissolved into a laughing stock in 2007 (something they still struggle with) I'm sure people look back more fondly on those 2 seasons. Baring injury (which is the real culprit) he's a 1000 yard rusher in 2006, and could probably have reached it again in 2007.

As for Lynch's contract. If he's as important to the offense as the Seahawks seem to think he is (and most fans as well) then you do what you must to lock him up for as long as you think he'll be effective. If reports are true, the new deal will turn his last year $5.5 million into 4 years $31 million with the bulk of the cap hit coming in the first two seasons. If you have to extend him, then making his cap presence happen when you think he'll still be effective is smart, gamble on him still being effective at low cost later in the contract.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been a work horse, but don't forget he didn't get much playing time for a year and a half in his final days in Buffalo sitting behind fred Jackson and CJ Spiller. That's a good chunk of time of not getting knocked around.
That's somewhat accurate. Spiller wasn't in the league in 2009; Lynch was suspended the first few games of that season then replaced as the starter later in the year. Lynch started the first few games for the Bills in '10 before the trade. 300+ touches 4 years straight and 2 more before that in Buffalo that were over 290. 1800 touches is a lot of miles on an NFL RB...Lynch is over 2k. I would love to see him prove to be super human, but the odds are he's close to the end.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think Lynch's age is that big of a deal when you get down to it. As others have said, I doubt the contract is much more than a 2 year guaranteed deal. And sure, you can bring up guys like Shaun Alexander who turned to shit after his big contract. But there are guys like Frank Gore who has rushed for at least 1100 yards and 4.3 yards per carry since he turned 28.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't sign Suh next month muhfuggahs. I gots no interest in owning a Seahawks jersey.

None!!!

bs, try putting on a `12 jersey and place a coupla lime green stripes towards the back of your `do. Bam, Kam style. You would look pretty cool.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Shaun Alexander contract is looked back at too much. It was technically 8 year 62 million, but unless everything went perfect for him he wasn't seeing the last 3 years of that deal. It was more like a 5 year 35 million dollar contract, of which he saw a little over half.

Personally, I have always felt that they cut him a year too soon (no way he wasn't at least as good as Julius Jones, and despite his poor numbers in 2007 it was still the best Seahawk running back season until Lynch in 2011) as it costed them more money to cut him that year than it would have costed to pay him. Hell, if Seattle's line hadn't dissolved into a laughing stock in 2007 (something they still struggle with) I'm sure people look back more fondly on those 2 seasons. Baring injury (which is the real culprit) he's a 1000 yard rusher in 2006, and could probably have reached it again in 2007.

As for Lynch's contract. If he's as important to the offense as the Seahawks seem to think he is (and most fans as well) then you do what you must to lock him up for as long as you think he'll be effective. If reports are true, the new deal will turn his last year $5.5 million into 4 years $31 million with the bulk of the cap hit coming in the first two seasons. If you have to extend him, then making his cap presence happen when you think he'll still be effective is smart, gamble on him still being effective at low cost later in the contract.

The point was that he was paid for what he had already done, not for what he was going to do...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point was that he was paid for what he had already done, not for what he was going to do...

Everyone is paid for what they have already done, to an extent. There was no way he was getting that rich of a contract had he rushed for 1200 yards and 12 tds.

The Alexander contract isn't nearly as bad as people like to think it is. Yes, it was 8 years, and it was 62 million, but anything over 5 is just a 5 year deal, since the signing bonus money no longer counts against the cap. Alexander was never going to see the final three years of the deal, it was just a throw in to give him the highest paid running back cherry. His deal was realistically 5 years, $35 million. Even then, he's easily cuttable after year 3.

In essence, he was given $11.5 million for what he had done, and signed on for less money he was already making for the next four years ($6.2 million, 2005; $3.6 million, 2006; $3.4 million, 2007; $4.5 million, 2008; $5.5 million, 2009), at which point he is most likely retired or released (leaving more than half of the contract on the table).

He's most likely $49 million in guaranteed money away from continuing his success and that contract working out in Seattle's favor.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Spotrac it says the Hawks have 23 mill in cap space, but how many more players do they have to sign?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Spotrac it says the Hawks have 23 mill in cap space, but how many more players do they have to sign?

They have 61 players under contract, and Maxwell, Carpenter and Kearse are the only starters that aren't under contract (I think), so they have some freedom to worry about the guys they want to extend. They could conceivably stand pat and go through the draft, though I expect them to also try and re-sign a few of their contributors (Schofield, Johnson, etc.).

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals have just released Ted Ginn Jr.

I like the possibilities of signing him in place of Bryan Walters. Probably wouldn't cost much, and provides not only to the return game but even more in the passing game than Walters. Thoughts?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals have just released Ted Ginn Jr.

I like the possibilities of signing him in place of Bryan Walters. Probably wouldn't cost much, and provides not only to the return game but even more in the passing game than Walters. Thoughts?
I think it would be nice to see a upgrade from Walters, but not sure if Ginn is the answer. Must not of done much for the Cards if there letting him go.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Ginn is that he has never been much of a WR and last year he was below average as a KOR, and has been only average on KO his entire career. Now, if you wanted to bring him in just as a PR, then that's something, but there just isn't that kind of roster space on any NFL team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Age should not really be the consideration for a RB. I would say mileage is the bigger issue. Now they say 30 is about that place where most top tier RB's hit the wall and a big reason is that is when they get over the 2,000 carry level for most backs. Right now Lynch is considered 5th on carries among active RB's. Good chance 2 of those 4 ahead of him are done before this next season in Steven Jackson and Willis McGahee. Both have severely declined in ability. The other two continue to do pretty well in Peterson (hard to tell a bit considering he missed most of this last year but good chance he still has some quality play ahead of him) and Frank Gore. Gore seems to defy the odds with being over 30 and having over 2400 carries yet had over a thousand yards this past season and averaged 4.3 yards per carry. He has over 400 more carries than that of Lynch at this point (over a season's worth of carries as 300 is usually about the max you see from a RB in the NFL). So I could see Lynch having 1-2 more good years left in him which is from the sound of it what this contract is. At the same time 2 of the guys ahead of him in carries fell off big time and were like Lynch in being the bruising style back. It really is hard to tell but hey the NFL is all about taking chances as you just never know when a player is going to decline or say have a career ending injury.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is paid for what they have already done, to an extent. There was no way he was getting that rich of a contract had he rushed for 1200 yards and 12 tds.

The Alexander contract isn't nearly as bad as people like to think it is. Yes, it was 8 years, and it was 62 million, but anything over 5 is just a 5 year deal, since the signing bonus money no longer counts against the cap. Alexander was never going to see the final three years of the deal, it was just a throw in to give him the highest paid running back cherry. His deal was realistically 5 years, $35 million. Even then, he's easily cuttable after year 3.

In essence, he was given $11.5 million for what he had done, and signed on for less money he was already making for the next four years ($6.2 million, 2005; $3.6 million, 2006; $3.4 million, 2007; $4.5 million, 2008; $5.5 million, 2009), at which point he is most likely retired or released (leaving more than half of the contract on the table).

He's most likely $49 million in guaranteed money away from continuing his success and that contract working out in Seattle's favor.
Gotta throw the BS flag. I was a big SA fan.... but the sad truth is that contract was a total whiff. Shaun only played 2 more seasons in Seattle after he signed that, and his production dropped off by over 50% in '06 and then dropped off again in '07 before he was released. I don't know the total amount of that deal he actually saw, but whatever it was, it was a ripoff for the team. A total reward contract in the end.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's somewhat accurate. Spiller wasn't in the league in 2009; Lynch was suspended the first few games of that season then replaced as the starter later in the year. Lynch started the first few games for the Bills in '10 before the trade. 300+ touches 4 years straight and 2 more before that in Buffalo that were over 290. 1800 touches is a lot of miles on an NFL RB...Lynch is over 2k. I would love to see him prove to be super human, but the odds are he's close to the end.

Your right, i messed that one up:doh:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in the complete know of the Seahawks but my guess would be Wagner. It is the lower cap number of the two making it a little easier to figure out the numbers. I mean when you look at the top players at his position the top-10 are pretty well bunched together contract wise so you know the starting point a lot easier compared to that of quarterback. Throw in it sounds like the Seahawks are planning on getting creative with Wilson's contract compared to any other contract in the NFL at this time. That usually takes time to accomplish.

Yep, Wagner is a key guy to our D no doubt and will be a focus.... Hey man what's the word on Manning ? Last I read he was planning to come back, but the Broncos are thinking a pay cut to open salary in other places... Be interesting to see how that play's out ... He was clearly injured in that Colts game so he can't end it like that...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Wagner is a key guy to our D no doubt and will be a focus.... Hey man what's the word on Manning ? Last I read he was planning to come back, but the Broncos are thinking a pay cut to open salary in other places... Be interesting to see how that play's out ... He was clearly injured in that Colts game so he can't end it like that...

Well there is speculation that the Broncos are telling Manning that if he is coming back it is with a pay cut. People are reading into Elway at the combine really trying to get around any questions about Manning and his contract. Pretty much Manning's camp has said he is fully healthy and the Broncos want him back but I think the Broncos are trying to see if Manning will live up to his word of saying he would do anything to help the team win a championship and for the Broncos they see that as him saying he is willing to take the pay cut and maybe free up about $9 million in cap space. I'm actually glad the Broncos are possibly playing a bit of hard ball with him and his camp. I love Manning and I want him back and I think he will be back but we have too many young talented players up for contracts to let our rental in Manning hamper us for the future.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta throw the BS flag. I was a big SA fan.... but the sad truth is that contract was a total whiff. Shaun only played 2 more seasons in Seattle after he signed that, and his production dropped off by over 50% in '06 and then dropped off again in '07 before he was released. I don't know the total amount of that deal he actually saw, but whatever it was, it was a ripoff for the team. A total reward contract in the end.

Why is it BS, because it didn't work out in hindsight? Or is it because giving your MVP (not to mention greatest single season offensive performance in team history) a contract when he has less than 2000 career touches (barely had 1900) and hadn't missed a game in his career is just so ludicrous that no one should ever try to lock up elite running backs?

As for his production drop - of course it was going to drop, he missed 6 games with a broken foot.

Also, which part is BS? That Seattle never intended on him making the entire $62 million, or is it the part that signing Hutch ($49 million in guaranteed money) would have allowed him to continue his success? The 2006 line was a shamble. LG and C both gone, RT missing 6 games, RG was 36 years old.

You give Alexander Hutchinson back (and assuming he gets his production to the left side back as well) and Alexander ends with 1013 yards rushing (the difference in ypc to the left side from 2005, 4.5, and 2006, 3.8). But, with the respect Jones and Hutchinson got as a duo it was his production to the right side that was amazing in 2005 (6.5 ypc to the right side) but with the line the way it was in 2006 he averaged only 3.0. If they keep Hutch, then I speculate (and it is all speculation at this point) he runs for over 1100 yards and 10 tds in his 10 games in 2006, though it could be more with the passing game also getting a boost with better protection of Hasselbeck (49 sacks in 2006 as opposed to 27 in 2005). That's just what I think is the difference between Steve Hutchinson and Floyd Womack.