• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So...Who are the real 'Blue Blood' College Football Programs?

Archangel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's 8 of 'em and not really much gonna change any time soon: Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Archangel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma State has an all-time winning record against Alabama: 1-0. I'd think you need at least 20 games for it to mean anything, so you catch them in some good years, which clearly we didn't.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've done some soul searching since the last thread when I had a very liberal definition of blue blood. Now I'm more picky than any of you sumbitches.

Bama
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Texas

If you haven't won a natty this century, your team don't qualify.

AP titles during the BCS era and vacated titles don't qualify.
@Chewbaccer finished the thread. Already enough years passed this century where any real blue blood would have won a NC. The only other qualification I could add if splitting hairs is if they are on the possible list have they at least played in a NC game this century.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Chewbaccer finished the thread. Already enough years passed this century where any real blue blood would have won a NC. The only other qualification I could add if splitting hairs is if they are on the possible list have they at least played in a NC game this century.

Bluebloods means something totally different to me.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same thing and not just homer bias, but throw all the other criteria in the mix too, A number of blue blood teams have gone through droughts similar to Nebraska including Alabama USC and Texas and it isnt the first time Nebraska went from being great to being lack luster, Football has cycles, when an all time great like Coach Tom retires those are hard shoes to fill, and knee jerk reactions happen, i think Solich (who took us to NC in 2001) if given more time would have righted the ship, he knew the identity and tradition we have here and if nothing else would have been a much better coach in the interim than was he who shall not be named and the ass hat bopeepee

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama
Ohio State
Michigan
Notre Dame
USC
Nebraska
Oklahoma

Those are the preeminent Blue Bloods of the nation, in my opinion.
I'd say OSU, Bama and OU are on their own tier tho since those three have been consistently good on most eras

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've done some soul searching since the last thread when I had a very liberal definition of blue blood. Now I'm more picky than any of you sumbitches.

Bama
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Texas

If you haven't won a natty this century, your team don't qualify.

AP titles during the BCS era and vacated titles don't qualify.
Get Texas off that list.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue Bloods:

1. Michigan
  2. Notre Dame
  3. Texas
  4. Nebraska
  5. Ohio State
  6. Alabama
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Penn State
  9. Southern Cal
  10. Tennessee

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue Bloods:

1. Michigan
  2. Notre Dame
  3. Texas
  4. Nebraska
  5. Ohio State
  6. Alabama
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Penn State
  9. Southern Cal
  10. Tennessee
That's my old school train of thought. If we are going by the last 20 years, the numbers dwindle significantly:

1. Texas
  2. Ohio State
  3. Alabama
  4. Oklahoma
  5. Southern Cal

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue Bloods:

1. Michigan
  2. Notre Dame
  3. Texas
  4. Nebraska
  5. Ohio State
  6. Alabama
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Penn State
  9. Southern Cal
  10. Tennessee

Wat Da Fuq, there are only 2 programs ahead of USC who has a winning record against them, mean while SC has the most players in the college FB HOf NFL HOF, tied for Heismans more players drafted into the NFL top that off with 11 NC. And you have them ranked 9th?

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wat Da Fuq, there are only 2 programs ahead of USC who has a winning record against them, mean while SC has the most players in the college FB HOf NFL HOF, tied for Heismans more players drafted into the NFL top that off with 11 NC. And you have them ranked 9th?

I should have taken the numbers off of that. There's no particular order there. I just his the "list" function on my puter and listed them.

SO, EVERYONE READING MY LIST ......... DISREGARD THE NUMBERS!! I DID NOT INTEND TO RANK THEM! JUST LISTING THEM!!

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize you lose your blue blood status built up over 125 years for having a bad few years.

Oklahoma doesnt lose their for the Blake years.
Alabama was garbage in the early 2000s. They did not forfeit their blue blood status.
Michigan is a blue blood regardless of what happened with Rich Rod or Brady Hoke.
Notre Dame was irrelevent from 1999-2009 with 6 seasons of .500 or lower, they are still a blue blood.

A Blue Blood is built over decades of being a cornerstone of the sport.
They have instant recognition and long term brand identity with millions of loyal fans countrywide.

College Football is tradition that moves at a glacial pace over decades of branding loyalty.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have taken the numbers off of that. There's no particular order there. I just his the "list" function on my puter and listed them.

SO, EVERYONE READING MY LIST ......... DISREGARD THE NUMBERS!! I DID NOT INTEND TO RANK THEM! JUST LISTING THEM!!

Lol, okay then

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize you lose your blue blood status built up over 125 years for having a bad few years.

Oklahoma doesnt lose their for the Blake years.
Alabama was garbage in the early 2000s. They did not forfeit their blue blood status.
Michigan is a blue blood regardless of what happened with Rich Rod or Brady Hoke.
Notre Dame was irrelevent from 1999-2009 with 6 seasons of .500 or lower, they are still a blue blood.

A Blue Blood is built over decades of being a cornerstone of the sport.
They have instant recognition and long term brand identity with millions of loyal fans countrywide.

College Football is tradition that moves at a glacial pace over decades of branding loyalty.

I agree that it is a status built over decades, but I would argue it can be lost, and lost quicker than it was bestowed upon you. By the very definition, it is "of noble birth." It is receiving unwarranted gain or recognition due to that noble birth. And, in my opinion, that nobility can be revoked or lost if you don't continue to maintain your reign or leadership over the rest of the herd. And some teams have lost their privileges to the palace.

Just my 2 cents on a sports message board that has no bearing on life. I do love to kill time here though. It is fun. But the Hoop is no blueblood.

:suds: