• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

so ... what now?

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Born in Chicago, lived there until I was 9, my dad was a big Sox fan and of course you go with your dad's team usually. But I've lived in SF for 27 years now, and for a while I was a fan of both equally, but when Bonds showed up I started leaning Giants. Also like the NL game better. But I still like the Sox, really root for them, etc. My dad and I talk baseball almost more than any other thing.

There's so little overlap or conflict having those 2 teams, the only interaction they've had was probably the 1997 'white flag' trade. My wife is a huge Giants fan ans she always teases me about who I'd root for if they met up in the Series. I think Giants but I wonder. I doubt I'd ever have to face that. It'd be fun though! :suds:

Nice win tonight. 2 CGs, game took 1:54. CLassic Buehrle fast game
Similar story with me growing up also ... bounced back & forth btwn Chicago & South Bend as a kid. Was always a Sox fan cuz of dad, but screw da Bears & the Cubs ... hated them, so horrible during those years. lol

I used to live in Bay Area myself. First duty station in Navy was Concord. Hated that place being stuck way out at the weapons station, but I loved the BART and many trips into the city and many A's games. Never made it to a Giants game at the Stick. BART to OAC was just so very convenient.

Great time to be a Giants fan ... D-Y-N-A-S-T-Y. I've kinda always liked the Giants and am glad to see their recent successes, especially since they sucked for so long. A feel good story, if you will.

Am pretty good 'pals' with one of your fellow Giants fans on here ... screen name Moxie. She's a hoot and loves her some Giants.

Thanks for sharing and hope to see ya around some more. This board has been really dead this year. :suds:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moxie totally rules...

I'm usually on the Giants board, I've recently been boring them with one of my favorite bits, about how the Sox did something in 2005 that will never happen again for the rest of time: winning 4 playoff games in a row throwing complete games in all 4. Will NEVER happen again.

Take care, I'll be around.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so ... toronto needs pitching badly. quintana for donaldson?

That's a really intriguing idea, well done. Do the Sox have any new blood to replace him in the rotation?

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a really intriguing idea, well done. Do the Sox have any new blood to replace him in the rotation?
Yes, interesting, indeed.

Just drafted a guy Fulmer ... one of the top prospects, but you never know how they'll turn out.

Rodon is still 'learning', but he looks strong.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, interesting, indeed.

Just drafted a guy Fulmer ... one of the top prospects, but you never know how they'll turn out.

Rodon is still 'learning', but he looks strong.

they also have a kid named montas they're high on. PLUS, if they were able to swing a deal for donaldson they night more seriously consider trying to sign smarg.

it's a long long shot but if you consider that donaldson is 29 and won't be a f.a. until 2019 and quintana is only 26 AND signed thru 2021 to an insanely cheap contract, the deal becomes much more realistic.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing is Donaldson is in the MVP conversation. I don't think Quintana is nearly enough

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing is Donaldson is in the MVP conversation. I don't think Quintana is nearly enough
Quintana might be all-star caliber, if he played on a team that could give him some decent run support. Not saying he's overpowering, but has great command & control, just not big numbers like the hosses in the league.

I couldn't even tell you the last time I seen this poor guy pitch a 'bad game'. He's always solid.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quintana might be all-star caliber, if he played on a team that could give him some decent run support. Not saying he's overpowering, but has great command & control, just not big numbers like the hosses in the league.

I couldn't even tell you the last time I seen this poor guy pitch a 'bad game'. He's always solid.

Agree I was just reminded of how spectacular of a year Donaldson is having. Not taking anything away from Q, but dayum that kid is kicking ass in Toronto

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

clearly these are both teams that NEED to make some moves if they intend to improve. as much as i love what the sox are doing on the field these last couple weeks ... they still can't hit and will go nowhere without change. i think toronto is in a similar situation only in regards to pitching. i doubt this deal i proposed has any chance of actually happening but if a computer were making the decisions it very well could. both teams would be dealing from their strengths.

as bad as third base has been i imagine the 'salad-man' will be sent down in a few days and we'll be back to gillaspie and mary beckham. makes soooo much sense.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
clearly these are both teams that NEED to make some moves if they intend to improve. as much as i love what the sox are doing on the field these last couple weeks ... they still can't hit and will go nowhere without change. i think toronto is in a similar situation only in regards to pitching. i doubt this deal i proposed has any chance of actually happening but if a computer were making the decisions it very well could. both teams would be dealing from their strengths.

as bad as third base has been i imagine the 'salad-man' will be sent down in a few days and we'll be back to gillaspie and mary beckham. makes soooo much sense.

No doubt the Sox have pitching to get hitting, and the Jays the reverse, but it would take more than Quintana alone to get Donaldson even if a 'computer were making decisions'

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so ... toronto needs pitching badly. quintana for donaldson?

Too bad real life isn't a video game. Only scenario where that deal is realistic is on a playstation, and even then. I doubt you're getting an MVP candidate every day player for a mediocre to slightly above average Jose Quintana.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad real life isn't a video game. Only scenario where that deal is realistic is on a playstation, and even then. I doubt you're getting an MVP candidate every day player for a mediocre to slightly above average Jose Quintana.

i'm not going to keep arguing for this idea as i think i laid out my point pretty well. anyhow, it was just an idea. how about todd frazier? .... or tucker barnhart?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not going to keep arguing for this idea as i think i laid out my point pretty well. anyhow, it was just an idea. how about todd frazier? .... or tucker barnhart?

I don't know man. Q's contract is fantastic. Worth keeping him around, if only based off of that. Shark is the guy that may go.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know man. Q's contract is fantastic. Worth keeping him around, if only based off of that. Shark is the guy that may go.

that's kinda the point. his contract would also be attractive to potential trade partners.

smarg is going in either case. either trade now or let loose aftder the season for a draft choice.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smarj still here. Surprising. Musta been that win streak, but now ....

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smarj still here. Surprising. Musta been that win streak, but now ....

the smarg thing doesn't really bother me as they should get someone as good as anyone else they'd have taken a chance on. still i'd like to know how hard they tried and why no one would bite.
but they sure could have moved ramirez. they have short covered in this organization and ramirez surely could have brought something worthwhile youth-wise. the short-sighted only seem to think his value is based on his current average but since when has that ever been the case? he's been considered among the top ss's in the game for the last 6 years. he's not in the future of this team so why keep waiting until he just gets older and older? there are others who also could have been moved .... maybe not for as much but for something in the way of youth and salary relief.

this organization is just too stupid. you can't use duct tape for 5 years and hope you contend. god i wish they sell this team.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the smarg thing doesn't really bother me as they should get someone as good as anyone else they'd have taken a chance on. still i'd like to know how hard they tried and why no one would bite.
but they sure could have moved ramirez. they have short covered in this organization and ramirez surely could have brought something worthwhile youth-wise. the short-sighted only seem to think his value is based on his current average but since when has that ever been the case? he's been considered among the top ss's in the game for the last 6 years. he's not in the future of this team so why keep waiting until he just gets older and older? there are others who also could have been moved .... maybe not for as much but for something in the way of youth and salary relief.

this organization is just too stupid. you can't use duct tape for 5 years and hope you contend. god i wish they sell this team.

Hard to agree with this, it's common sense that if you know Ramirez is not very helpful to the Sox (and hence want to deal him) he can't be very helpful to another team either. Hence no one wants him. If the Sox traded another team to get Ramirez to come to the Sox, you'd be raging at their stupidity.

Again, even you were ok with things at the start of the year. Players took way too long to hit like they should have been. That's not evidence that the team needs new owners, that's bad luck.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm spitballing here about Ramirez without really looking.

I'm guessing maybe the contenders/shoppers might not be in the market for a SS batting .220-.230ish???

Alexei has had a pretty down year at the plate. I mean he notoriously starts out slow, but usually picks it up as the weather gets warmer. So far, that hasn't happened this year and a prospective shopper may want more pop with a SS right now.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to agree with this, it's common sense that if you know Ramirez is not very helpful to the Sox (and hence want to deal him) he can't be very helpful to another team either. Hence no one wants him. If the Sox traded another team to get Ramirez to come to the Sox, you'd be raging at their stupidity.

Again, even you were ok with things at the start of the year. Players took way too long to hit like they should have been. That's not evidence that the team needs new owners, that's bad luck.

it's a common dilemma. if a player plays well you want to keep him and only then are other teams interested. if he plays poorly you want to trade him but no one else would want him. only it doesn't work that way. ramirez has a solid history. when teams are trading they are hoping a change of scenery will restore that player to his previous self. in this case, since the sox don't really need him, he's available and other teams weak at short who are contenders will take that chance.

in your example you are not really accurate. if the sox were contenders and needed a shortstop ... i would certainly NOT rage against it.

and yes, i was ok ... as most sox fans were .... but at some point you have to recognize you were wrong. for one, i was totally against getting laroche and i was also FOR acquiring a catcher, which didn't happen. the re-acquisition of beckham drove me up a tree as i KNEW he become a major problem. RV cannot resist playing him. i'll get an argument on this but i believe he's a factor in gillaspie's poor showing .... having to look over his shoulder ever day and we end up with as piece of garbage that can't hit .200. throw in the fact that the sox have one of the worst managers in sox history and i'm not totally amazed at their current plight. these are rather large gaps in this team. and did we really expect abreu would be the same? pitchers are finding his weaknesses (and he sure has them) even tho he's still very good. did we really expect garcia was a superstar that just hadn't had a healthy chance yet. garcia is still a year or two away and not nearly as good as everyone had hoped.

fans still think this is a good team when clearly it's not ... regardless what anyone thought at the start of the season. and it's why the sox should be making moves now for its future's sake. ramirez is not for the future of this team. why keep him until he is actually and truly worthless?