• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So, Is The "U" Back?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And winning the division and conference was simply a by product of beating osu on a fluke. How many times is a FG going to get blocked and returned for a TD. Conversely a couple inches on a spot of the ball is what kept Michigan from beating OSU. A rarity and a couple inches makes a big difference?

And I would disagree in regards to the money. It'd be one thing if a school like Maryland was paying huge for a coach since their athletic department has been in shambles for like a decade now. But not Michigan.
PSU won the division and the conference title that year. This is simply a fact. Since then, PSU has lost to Ohio State 3 times, just like michigan, but by a combined 13 points (2 of those 3 at Ohio State, and two of those three by 1 point). Over the last 3 against michigan, we've won by a combined 63 points (2 of those 3 at michigan). Penn State has been by far the most competitive team against OSU over the past 5 years in the Big Ten. Since 2016, they have a better overall record, they've won 2/3 bowl games, and they've played OSU extremely close. Meanwhile, Harbaugh has a worse record, has gone 0-3 in bowl games, and has been blown out against OSU more and more each year.

All this does is support my statement. PSU and michigan have gotten very similar recruits, but PSU has simply been the better team, and when you put them against OSU, they're not scared. They think they can win every time. Meanwhile, michigan is just praying we have a bad game.

The state of the program is irrelevant. Harbaugh is paid like one of the best coaches in the entire nation and hasn't come close to earning it. This makes him overrated.

Are you actually trying to make an argument?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PSU won the division and the conference title that year. This is simply a fact. Since then, PSU has lost to Ohio State 3 times, just like michigan, but by a combined 13 points (2 of those 3 at Ohio State, and two of those three by 1 point). Over the last 3 against michigan, we've won by a combined 63 points (2 of those 3 at michigan). Penn State has been by far the most competitive team against OSU over the past 5 years in the Big Ten. Since 2016, they have a better overall record, they've won 2/3 bowl games, and they've played OSU extremely close. Meanwhile, Harbaugh has a worse record, has gone 0-3 in bowl games, and has been blown out against OSU more and more each year.

All this does is support my statement. PSU and michigan have gotten very similar recruits, but PSU has simply been the better team, and when you put them against OSU, they're not scared. They think they can win every time. Meanwhile, michigan is just praying we have a bad game.

The state of the program is irrelevant. Harbaugh is paid like one of the best coaches in the entire nation and hasn't come close to earning it. This makes him overrated.

Are you actually trying to make an argument?

My argument is there isn't much difference between Michigan and PSU. PSU got a fortunate bounce, Michigan got an unfortunate spot. Harbaugh has a better record against ranked opponents since he got there. You seem to overlook that.

PSU has been more competitive, no doubt, but they also have the advantage of playing at night. Also, as I've said it IS concerning that Michigan has been blown out the last couple times. Harbaugh is also 3-2 against Franklin.

And I still don't understand why it matters how much the guy makes? We aren't paying his salary, and the people that are, are swimming in money.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My argument is there isn't much difference between Michigan and PSU. PSU got a fortunate bounce, Michigan got an unfortunate spot. Harbaugh has a better record against ranked opponents since he got there. You seem to overlook that.

PSU has been more competitive, no doubt, but they also have the advantage of playing at night. Also, as I've said it IS concerning that Michigan has been blown out the last couple times. Harbaugh is also 3-2 against Franklin.

And I still don't understand why it matters how much the guy makes? We aren't paying his salary, and the people that are, are swimming in money.
OSU has won the last 3 years by an average of 4 points a game over Penn State (two of those games at OSU), while they've beaten michigan by an average of 21 points a game in that timeframe (two of those games in AA). Playing at night means nothing.

Harbaugh, ironically enough, seems to be on the same trajectory as David Shaw. Did great at first with the prior guys' recruits but is sputtering with his own recruits. Only difference is, michigan is a far more prestigious football program with more resources. He's an abject failure.

Again, how rich a school is makes no difference. When you're paying a guy like an elite coach, you expect elite results. michigan is getting nothing close to that, and things are getting worse. He's a good recruiter, a mediocre coach, and a bad talent developer. This is why michigan is failing.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU has won the last 3 years by an average of 4 points a game over Penn State (two of those games at OSU), while they've beaten michigan by an average of 21 points a game in that timeframe (two of those games in AA). Playing at night means nothing.

Harbaugh, ironically enough, seems to be on the same trajectory as David Shaw. Did great at first with the prior guys' recruits but is sputtering with his own recruits. Only difference is, michigan is a far more prestigious football program with more resources. He's an abject failure.

Again, how rich a school is makes no difference. When you're paying a guy like an elite coach, you expect elite results. michigan is getting nothing close to that, and things are getting worse. He's a good recruiter, a mediocre coach, and a bad talent developer. This is why michigan is failing.

I guess we have different visions of what Michigan is. They aren't an elite program anymore. They are a top 15 program, that if it falls right, can maybe make the CFP. Having an elite program in the same division will make it tough for Michigan to break through. They will never have top 5 talent. Like I said before, their talent matches up with their results.

My guess is they'll beat PSU and Wisconsin this season since both are at home, lose to OSU because they always do, struggle against Washington, Minnesota and MSU since they are road games and go 10-2 or 9-3.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we have different visions of what Michigan is. They aren't an elite program anymore. They are a top 15 program, that if it falls right, can maybe make the CFP. Having an elite program in the same division will make it tough for Michigan to break through. They will never have top 5 talent. Like I said before, their talent matches up with their results.

My guess is they'll beat PSU and Wisconsin this season since both are at home, lose to OSU because they always do, struggle against Washington, Minnesota and MSU since they are road games and go 10-2 or 9-3.
We don't disagree on what they are. The disagreement is on where they should be. They are near the top of the P5 in revenue, and I don't know of any other schools that are willing to fly kids all over the world if they commit to play for them. They have all the history, they were the first to sign on with the Jumpman label, they've got everything an elite program needs to be elite. Their biggest problem is coaching, and it has been for 15+ years now. Ever since Tressel came to OSU and beat the snot out of Lloyd Carr, their program hasn't been the same.

Harbaugh had all the fanfare and everything, but the results are clearly lacking based on expectations. Again, the comments by Devin Bush are extremely damning, and say pretty much everything you need to know about the culture Harbaugh has created. If they could ever manage to land the right guy, there's no reason at all they couldn't be competitive with Ohio State. However, they've failed to land him.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't disagree on what they are. The disagreement is on where they should be. They are near the top of the P5 in revenue, and I don't know of any other schools that are willing to fly kids all over the world if they commit to play for them. They have all the history, they were the first to sign on with the Jumpman label, they've got everything an elite program needs to be elite. Their biggest problem is coaching, and it has been for 15+ years now. Ever since Tressel came to OSU and beat the snot out of Lloyd Carr, their program hasn't been the same.

Harbaugh had all the fanfare and everything, but the results are clearly lacking based on expectations. Again, the comments by Devin Bush are extremely damning, and say pretty much everything you need to know about the culture Harbaugh has created. If they could ever manage to land the right guy, there's no reason at all they couldn't be competitive with Ohio State. However, they've failed to land him.

Their biggest problem is they won't be able to recruit at an elite level year in and year out. They are limited in that front. Unfortunately for them they play in a division with an elite program. If they were in the B1G W, he'd have a couple division titles by now.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their biggest problem is they won't be able to recruit at an elite level year in and year out. They are limited in that front. Unfortunately for them they play in a division with an elite program. If they were in the B1G W, he'd have a couple division titles by now.
Why? What's stopping them?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. Imagine thinking an elite coach and developer at a blue-blood university with limitless resources in a tier 1 conference could ever pull in elite recruits.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL... how many pages back do I need to go to see the word "Miami"?

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
_amn right they're back _ude!

They will _ominate the ACC _orsal or whatever its calle_.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Miami is back. The Redhawks from Oxford, OH, actually made a bowl game this year. Of course, they lost to UL-Lafayette; but at least they weren't shut out like those losers from Coral Gables.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Miami is back. The Redhawks from Oxford, OH, actually made a bowl game this year. Of course, they lost to UL-Lafayette; but at least they weren't shut out like those losers from Coral Gables.
Let's never forget what they did to Ohio State:

upload_2020-2-4_13-2-28.png