• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So I bought another oldie

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Snapped a couple pics for insurance this morning. Hope it doesn't show too big...can't get it into the editor for some reason.

View attachment 10566

View attachment 10567

Looks nice.
Whoever had it before you put the gauge cluster and stripes from a Mach 1 in, but left the dummy lights in rather than installing the tach. Another thing if you want to go the Mach route, change the real valance under the bumper, the Mach 1's had two cutouts for the dual exhaust.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be very hard at all to increase the horsepower on that thing, just for the fun of it.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, and parts are cheap.

I'll bet they are. Juice said it had a 302 in it and from what I looked up it's rated at 140hp with the 2bbl carb, which was the only carb offered.

Do a 4bbl carb and intake swap, perf. cam, and some head work with the right rear end and that thing would fly.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet they are. Juice said it had a 302 in it and from what I looked up it's rated at 140hp with the 2bbl carb, which was the only carb offered.

Do a 4bbl carb and intake swap, perf. cam, and some head work with the right rear end and that thing would fly.

It just so happens I have a 4bbl Holly from an old boat engine. I might order a rebuild kit and conversion mount for it. But that's all kinda' pointless with the current exhaust and all that. Seriously, the car is already faster than the suspension and brakes can handle! So, those come first.

The car is pretty common so I'm not too concerned about messing with a completely original situation. I think I'll go the $$ route and not change things that won't be somewhat made up for at selling time. The exhaust (sound) is a big one. A/C is a big one and the kit is coming tomorrow. The dash cluster is another cheap and good investment. I'm kinda' torn on whether getting new wheels would return much of their cost. A shoulder seat-belt needs to come before all these!

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what Ford has as a modern day Hi-Perf new engine substitution, but drop in that 5 liter V-8 in there for 4 grand AFTER you blow up the original 302 in it. Toss in the intake up grade and fuel injection system and now ya gots something Juice. What kind of rearend (butt) ya got in the Stang BTW?

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what Ford has as a modern day Hi-Perf new engine substitution, but drop in that 5 liter V-8 in there for 4 grand AFTER you blow up the original 302 in it. Toss in the intake up grade and fuel injection system and now ya gots something Juice. What kind of rearend (butt) ya got in the Stang BTW?

It appears to be a 9in Ford like I had in a souped-up Camaro once...but not sure yet.

But if I was going to soup-up a hot rod, I'd have bought a beater for $3k. This thing only has 40k original miles on it. I'll sell it in nice condition to some old fucker for an island car down here.

By the way, I've learned a bit in reading this past week. If I were going to re-power this thing, I think I'd go with a 6 cylinder. Now, I know this has some of your jaws flopping. But even the 1973 V6 used 7 cam bearings instead of 4 and is said to be able to take 7,000 rpm! So, if I was going to jack the car up, I'd be very tempted to go with a blown 300ci V6 instead of the 302 or 351 V8. The i6 gives you sooo much more room to work under that long hood, you could really do some fancy work with headers, a supercharger, etc etc.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See...now this looks like fun to work on:

VWVortex.com - A cheap 10 second 300 (4.9) inline six Ford. Yes, that's the old 145 hp van/truck engine.

ccrp-1108-04+1971-ford-maverick.jpg

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya on not wanting to do to much to your new ride...thought the guy above talking about a few exterior upgrades and interior dash upgrades is on target. Nothing wrong with trying to squeeze whatever new "horsies" one could get out of a 302 wouldn't be bad either.

I like seeing projects/cars like yours just so I can live thru the internet with a new car owner like yourself.

So your daughters "hotrod" aint going to happen...probably put her in a Prius or something by her 16th Birfday anywhoze. :clap:

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the car is pristine without any rust anywhere. That doesn't mean it doesn't have paint chips and scratches n' shit all over...it has 40 years worth but no corrosion.

Well, my mechanic dude is putting in a new a/c system today and I stopped by to see him just as he found something ridiculous. He pulled back the carpet on the passenger side and there's a huge hole rusted all the way through! No rust anywhere else...just a big honkin' rusty hold where the passenger's right foot would rest. It's about 3 inches wide and a foot long.

After a minute, the dude figured it out. That spot is right below where the line connected to the heater element inside the dash. So, that bastard must've had a little drip for years without anyone noticing...just enough to keep the carpet damp and rust it through.

Time to order a patch!

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
So, the car is pristine without any rust anywhere. That doesn't mean it doesn't have paint chips and scratches n' shit all over...it has 40 years worth but no corrosion.

Well, my mechanic dude is putting in a new a/c system today and I stopped by to see him just as he found something ridiculous. He pulled back the carpet on the passenger side and there's a huge hole rusted all the way through! No rust anywhere else...just a big honkin' rusty hold where the passenger's right foot would rest. It's about 3 inches wide and a foot long.

After a minute, the dude figured it out. That spot is right below where the line connected to the heater element inside the dash. So, that bastard must've had a little drip for years without anyone noticing...just enough to keep the carpet damp and rust it through.

Time to order a patch!

I would dump some water in the cowl and make sure it doesn't leak. That's pretty much where they leak, right at the passenger floorboards.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a place in Garland that does floor plans and cowl replacement. $350 for each side. Not including parts...

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would dump some water in the cowl and make sure it doesn't leak. That's pretty much where they leak, right at the passenger floorboards.

I know a place in Garland that does floor plans and cowl replacement. $350 for each side. Not including parts...

Took a good look at it last night. It turns out it wasn't the heater connection or anything mechanical, it was the vent. That thing must've let a drop drip now and again for years and years. You can tell because the rust spot is the size of a ruler...a couple inches wide and a foot long. So, it never leaked much...just drops on the carpet.

I guess the moral of the story is to make sure your classic car's fresh air vents are closed! I left the one on the passenger side on the Wagoneer one time when I went through the car wash. It was a mess - probably a liter came pouring in.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet car. I love the early 70's mustangs but the rust is horrible on them. I saw a Grande in the DFW area going cheap. I loved everything but the vinyl top.With all the rust under the vinyl it's practically a convertible already.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet car. I love the early 70's mustangs but the rust is horrible on them. I saw a Grande in the DFW area going cheap. I loved everything but the vinyl top.With all the rust under the vinyl it's practically a convertible already.

Thanks. Yeah, you can't buy one if it has any rust underneath anywhere...the shit would never end. The top rust is easy. Hell, you could probably get a salvage top for that thing for 100 bucks and have it welded on for a couple hundred more.

Rust is weird on southern and western cars that have never been in the salt. The Wagoneer was pristine underneath but wanted to rust only under the rubber gaskets around the windows. When I had that area patched, you could see it had already been done at least a couple times before.
This mustang is also pristine underneath and under the hood. There are just a couple little areas of concern on the underside of the trunk (maybe from condensation) and down where the convertible top sits when it's down - figured the top probably sat in there wet many times.

Just gotta keep after it!

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I would check the cowl anyway.
40 years of shit could be in there, plugging it up.
At least for peace of mind.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know if I had it that I just wouldn't be able to resist the urge to increase the power with a cam and some heads and carb. Take it from 140hp to around 300hp or more. I know I'd ruin it, but WTF, why not.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ lol. It's very tempting. But I think I'd better install a new master cylinder for the brakes first before I drive it into the kitchen.

Let's face it; classic cars are about nolstalgia and looking cool. If I just wanted to be quick, I'd be in a Nissan Z or some pheg shit. But like the Wagoneer, I think I can increase the HP about 50% without spending too much...make it respectable. The 4 BBL carb in my garage, better exhaust (I won't do headers - PITA), etc.

Going from the back forward, the rear suspension (original) and exhaust are first.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the mechanic sez he has 2 460s in his garage and will drop one in the Mustang for $1,500. Of course, then I'll need a new gearbox, upgrade all the brakes, suspension, new exhaust, gauges and ....?

I think I'll have to pass even though I hate to.

137551_large%2B1971_ford_mustang%2Bengine_bay_view.jpg