• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So I bought another oldie

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't say he would have to shave the shock towers to fit that in there? I thought to go bigger than a 351 would require engine bay mods.

As you have said, you just need it to look and sound nice, and 302 will do that. Once you add a bigger engine you really have to redo a lot, like you already listed. But then you also have to replace exhaust because your headers wont line up...if you can even fit headers with that beast in there.

Nah, if you want to do anything go with what was already suggested...throw a slightly delayed cam and a some better breathing heads to go with a free breathing exhaust. There is plenty of safe HP in the 302, just didn't come off the lot that way. If you just want sound, go with a cam to give it a little more thump and throat sound!

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ All true. With my luck, some little old lady will want it for an island car and willing to pay a lot...until she finds out there's a monster under the hood.

I might look for an antique drag boat to put one of those 460s in....always wanted one.

K-Boat_lift.jpg

dantes-boat-41.jpg

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
He didn't say he would have to shave the shock towers to fit that in there? I thought to go bigger than a 351 would require engine bay mods.

As you have said, you just need it to look and sound nice, and 302 will do that. Once you add a bigger engine you really have to redo a lot, like you already listed. But then you also have to replace exhaust because your headers wont line up...if you can even fit headers with that beast in there.

Nah, if you want to do anything go with what was already suggested...throw a slightly delayed cam and a some better breathing heads to go with a free breathing exhaust. There is plenty of safe HP in the 302, just didn't come off the lot that way. If you just want sound, go with a cam to give it a little more thump and throat sound!

It should slip right in.
Those 71-73's were pretty much built for big blocks.