• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So, are we buyers, sellers, or Stand Pat....ers?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does the Montgomery trade tell us? I think it can be interpreted in many ways.

My interpretation is that we are sellers. Pitching is this teams weakness this year (how long has it been since a Mariner fan said that). Relief pitching has been a bigger problem than starting pitching. And, we just traded the most consistent and most reliable arm we have had in the pen all year. All due respects to Diaz, but Montgomery had been doing it since day one.

I think Aoki was called back up so they can showcase him.

Zunino wasn't called up a second time just to sit on the bench. He may not play as often as he did in 2014 and 2015, but he's going to be playing a lot more than Sucre or Clevenger did. I take this to mean that Ianetta is being shopped as well. And don't laugh. Despite the low batting average, Ianetta has some value.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are and should be sellers, but not in the traditional sense. I don't think Dipoto is interested in or is going to sell our "best" players, you know the core guys. I think the guys on the chopping block are Lind(obviously), Smith, Aoki, Iannetta, Guti, and anyone in the bullpen outside of Diaz. All of those guys have a certain level of value to the right team. The returns wouldn't be huge but you might be able to find a diamond in the rough, you never know we got a former first rounder and a former 2nd rounder for Monty. The trade deadline is about finding the right team to match up with. The more desperate the better.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should be sellers as I've wrote in the other thread, I truly believe teams will covet alot pieces and can get a bidding war going. Not getting top prospects back but enough to get the M's in the top 20 of farm systems. Which will be beneficial going into the winter when Jerry can flip some of them for MLB guys.

Ianetta, Aoki, Gutierrez, Smith and Lind all can be great depth additions for teams making a playoff push. All 4 of those have greater value for NL teams IMO.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with both of your sentiments. At this point there's still a slight chance that we could squeak into the playoffs, but unloading an already thin farm system for a miraculous sniff of the playoffs wouldn't be in our best interest. That being said, we can still compete when some of the injured return all the while unloading the few that have some value such as the names listed above. Monty is gone, but Furbush should return relatively soon; good trade to add a heavy hitter at first for a reliever that may be replaced soon.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DiPoto is supposedly one of those new needy type guys trying to take over baseball and mathematically it makes no sense to get rid of anything for a shot at a one game playoff. If they were in 1st in the west or even striking distance it would make sense to give up something but they are an aging team with a little window and the more quantity of decent prospects the easier (theoretically) they should flip a few guys to get a better guy. They need a number 2 starter for next year along with and an upgrade in the outfield in terms of athleticism. I always thought Aoki would fit that bill but damn he doesn't low how to steal bases and is average at best at fielding. With Cano, Cruz, Seager, whoever plays first next year and a catcher the other 4 better be able to stretch a single into a double so they need two more if we are to believe Jerry and Scott's word on their vision of a team.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DiPoto is supposedly one of those new needy type guys trying to take over baseball and mathematically it makes no sense to get rid of anything for a shot at a one game playoff. If they were in 1st in the west or even striking distance it would make sense to give up something but they are an aging team with a little window and the more quantity of decent prospects the easier (theoretically) they should flip a few guys to get a better guy. They need a number 2 starter for next year along with and an upgrade in the outfield in terms of athleticism. I always thought Aoki would fit that bill but damn he doesn't low how to steal bases and is average at best at fielding. With Cano, Cruz, Seager, whoever plays first next year and a catcher the other 4 better be able to stretch a single into a double so they need two more if we are to believe Jerry and Scott's word on their vision of a team.
We may actually need an ace with Felix becoming a #2, IMO.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about trading for a guy like Puig?

Something like Paxton+Smith+prospect(s).

They'd be getting a young guy who'd help now so it wouldn't really be mortgaging the future or rebuilding.

Tough giving up a SP but Puig could go off at any point (in more ways than one) and will bring some excitement, which can't be bad for business.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about trading for a guy like Puig?

Something like Paxton+Smith+prospect(s).

They'd be getting a young guy who'd help now so it wouldn't really be mortgaging the future or rebuilding.

Tough giving up a SP but Puig could go off at any point (in more ways than one) and will bring some excitement, which can't be bad for business.

I would take on Puig, but would not include Paxton or Walker. Smith and Peterson would work for me but not much more. Just my opinion.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel we should be sellers. The only players that shouldn't be discussed is Diaz and Zunino

I certainly like the idea of trading for Puig and I would have no problem including Paxton in that trade, or any trade for that matter.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take on Puig, but would not include Paxton or Walker. Smith and Peterson would work for me but not much more. Just my opinion.

Eh, way too much of a headache to trade valuable chips for. If that were the case, they could've taken Kemp after his MVP year when the rumors swirled about the possible trade but Jack wouldn't move Ackley.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does the Montgomery trade tell us? I think it can be interpreted in many ways.

My interpretation is that we are sellers. Pitching is this teams weakness this year (how long has it been since a Mariner fan said that). Relief pitching has been a bigger problem than starting pitching. And, we just traded the most consistent and most reliable arm we have had in the pen all year. All due respects to Diaz, but Montgomery had been doing it since day one.

I think Aoki was called back up so they can showcase him.

Zunino wasn't called up a second time just to sit on the bench. He may not play as often as he did in 2014 and 2015, but he's going to be playing a lot more than Sucre or Clevenger did. I take this to mean that Ianetta is being shopped as well. And don't laugh. Despite the low batting average, Ianetta has some value.

My interpretation of the Aoki call-up was primarily because I expect that they move Adam Lind and move Cruz to DH for good.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners are in a real shitty position IMO. I think if this team is healthy, it could contend for a playoff spot. But that's a big if. I feel as if this team is too good to sell, but is it worth buying? We have very little in our farm system, and with Cano, Cruz and Felix all aging, we may pawn away what little future we have in our system while our best players see their value decline.

I think if the Mariners decide to sell, they need to go all out. Cruz, Cano, Felix. Cano and Felix in particular have monster contracts that could be huge drains on the team. It is anyone's best guess how long Cano will continue playing at a level worthy of his contract. Felix already looks like he's on the downslope of his career. Cruz on the other hand is already 36, how much more of this type of hitting does he have left in him? But then again, I've been wrong on Cruz a number of times now. I didn't want us to sign him before he signed with the O's because I thought he was due to regress, and yet here he is on pace for another 40 HR season.

Mariners have some tough decisions to make. If they stand pat, they need to keep in mind that the longer they 'stand pat' the more Felix, Cano and Cruz lose their values.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, way too much of a headache to trade valuable chips for. If that were the case, they could've taken Kemp after his MVP year when the rumors swirled about the possible trade but Jack wouldn't move Ackley.

Never liked Kemp. Puig may be a headcase much like Kemp, but his body is at least a little better. We are the M's so we have to take chances on players with some issues.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kemp had a huge contract while Puig has a reasonable one through 2018. Ackley was the 2nd overall pick so I'd imagine Jack thought pretty highly of him.

Like NWinAZ said, it seems like at this point the M's need to take these kind of gambles.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kemp had a huge contract while Puig has a reasonable one through 2018. Ackley was the 2nd overall pick so I'd imagine Jack thought pretty highly of him.

Like NWinAZ said, it seems like at this point the M's need to take these kind of gambles.

Contracts are irrelevent in baseball, yes we have cheap ownership but it still would've been a great deal.

Ackley was the number two but damn near became expendable when Seager went nuts in the minors. Seager was a 2B, not 3B. But just my opinion.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given how bad the M's farm system is and how hard it is for the M's to sign good free agent hitters, why are they not taking a chance on Puig? Apparently he can be had for very cheap and his contract is pretty reasonable. I don't get it.

Over the past 100 or so AB's he's hitting .300 with .380 obp. Power isn't there though.

Unless the Dodgers were asking for too much in return, it says something that no other team made the trade for him though.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given how bad the M's farm system is and how hard it is for the M's to sign good free agent hitters, why are they not taking a chance on Puig? Apparently he can be had for very cheap and his contract is pretty reasonable. I don't get it.

Over the past 100 or so AB's he's hitting .300 with .380 obp. Power isn't there though.

Unless the Dodgers were asking for too much in return, it says something that no other team made the trade for him though.
i am surprised Puig hasn't been traded to someone. I haven't really seen him play much this year so not really sure how he looks. I have heard some local radio guys talking about him and how they think his bad speed in significantly worse than its been in the past and that pitchers have been pitching him different than in the past.