• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smith ruled out

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just heard on KNBR. I sure hope they were getting Kap plenty of reps even with Smith theoretically slated to start. It would be awful if they throw Kap out there without adequate practice time to face that Bears' D.

Shit, and I was feeling pretty confident about this game....

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very surprised and worried about this now. Sounded all week like Smith was going to be good to go and was practicing.

Like Crimson said, I hope Kap was able to get some snaps this week, sounded like Smith was taking quite a few of them.

Really need to Kap to be careful with the ball. I thought this was a good match up for us but not with Kap starting. Kap needs to try to be an Alex Smith clone this week and just be conservative.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should be fine if we lean on hunter and gore. one thing i'm worried about is kap fumbling.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm just hoping all the talk of Smith starting was a little gamesmanship by the staff. Trot him out there in the black jersey, talk up how sharp he looked, then drop this on the Bears last minute. Somehow I doubt that's the case.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coaching staff must have known how iffy Smiths return was and planned accordingly. How could you not in this new era of evaluating people with concussions? Somehow I think Harbaugh and Roman were preparing Kap for this eventuality.

That said, facing a defense that takes advantage of mistakes is not the best starting game for Kap.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard on KNBR. I sure hope they were getting Kap plenty of reps even with Smith theoretically slated to start. It would be awful if they throw Kap out there without adequate practice time to face that Bears' D.

Shit, and I was feeling pretty confident about this game....

According to Maiocco - Smith took most/nearly all of the QB1 reps

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard that on Mike and Mike this morning while getting ready for work. Didn't expect to hear that. I hope the D plays lights out and Kaep makes enough plays to get the W. Tough team to make your first NFL start against, but at least the game is at home.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I'd be surprised if this was the case. Not that Maiocco's lying, but doesn't the media get to see warmups at the most? Perhaps it appeared that way on purpose. Who knows.

If they really did bank on Smith being able to go, then the staff looks silly now. I can't imagine they weren't prepared.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's amazing to plan for something like this.

Yeah, I'm kind of scratching my head on this one - but I also know that is precisely what Jimmy & G-Ro want me (and da Bears) to be doing.

This is far from the ideal situation for Kaps (or any young NFL QB) to be making his 1st start but now that it is unavoidable, it will be interesting.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I know those are the reports, but the reporters are barred from practice. Just hoping, as said, it was some gamesmanship. I don't believe that, but I also find it hard to believe they didn't get kap some serious practice reps.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'd be more inclined to believe that Harbaugh and Co were doing a little deception, but if not I'd be gobsmacked they didn't get Kap more work during the week under the circumstances.
Regardless, part of me is intrigued about how Kap will do tonight, even though I've never wanted him to start this season.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am excited to see what Kap can do. I think we will still win and I do believe the coaching staff were probably prepared for this

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know those are the reports, but the reporters are barred from practice. Just hoping, as said, it was some gamesmanship. I don't believe that, but I also find it hard to believe they didn't get kap some serious practice reps.

Curious as to why you don't believe that, given Harbaughs secrecy with injuries etc?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Barred from practice but not barred from coaches & players after practice. I know there was gamesmanship, that is a given with Harbaugh, but bare in mind that either starting QB would need just as many practice reps to prepare for the Bears.

It is not as if we could give all the reps to Kap then throw Smith out there at the last minute. So the 49ers kind of had to take a gamble of some sort and from this report it would appear the 49ers gambled on Smith.

From Maiocco:

"Quarterback Alex Smith is expected to start Monday night against the Chicago Bears because it's clear that the 49ers expect Alex Smith to start Monday night against the Bears.

If second-year player Colin Kaepernick were going to start, the 49ers' coaching staff would've given him all of the first-team snaps in practice in order to be properly prepared to face one of the top defenses in the NFL.

If the 49ers started an under-prepared Kaepernick against the Bears, it would be a form of coaching malpractice.

Instead, the 49ers approached practices about the same as they do on a normal week -- a week in which Smith is not returning to action after sustaining a concussion.

When asked if Smith went through the same workload at practice as usual, 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman answered, "Thereabouts."

And how did Smith look at practice?

"He's looked good," Roman said. "He's looked really sharp."

Also, as reported Saturday, any time the past two seasons in which a 49ers player has returned from a concussion has been medically cleared to take part in even one day of limited practice, that player has played in the next game.

In Smith's case, he took part in practices Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday."

Make of it what you will - I think Kap is practice ready and in about 12 hours we will know if he was game ready.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody else think Harbaugh was hoping for this? I think he's been wanting to see what Kaepernick could do and now he gets an entire game to look without having to take any blame for doing it because he can say that Alex Smith could not play because of injury.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, as reported Saturday, any time the past two seasons in which a 49ers player has returned from a concussion has been medically cleared to take part in even one day of limited practice, that player has played in the next game.

In Smith's case, he took part in practices Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday."[/I]

Make of it what you will - I think Kap is practice ready and in about 12 hours we will know if he was game ready.[/QUOTE]

I think Kaepernick can do enough to win; especially with the wretched Jason Campbell opposing him. I'd put Campbell in the bottom 25%of QBs and Kaepernick in the bottom 10% but the Niners are at home against the team that Harbaugh would love to beat more than any other. After the egg they laid last week, they'll be looking for redemption.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Barred from practice but not barred from coaches & players after practice. I know there was gamesmanship, that is a given with Harbaugh, but bare in mind that either starting QB would need just as many practice reps to prepare for the Bears.

It is not as if we could give all the reps to Kap then throw Smith out there at the last minute. So the 49ers kind of had to take a gamble of some sort and from this report it would appear the 49ers gambled on Smith.

From Maiocco:

"Quarterback Alex Smith is expected to start Monday night against the Chicago Bears because it's clear that the 49ers expect Alex Smith to start Monday night against the Bears.

If second-year player Colin Kaepernick were going to start, the 49ers' coaching staff would've given him all of the first-team snaps in practice in order to be properly prepared to face one of the top defenses in the NFL.

If the 49ers started an under-prepared Kaepernick against the Bears, it would be a form of coaching malpractice.

Instead, the 49ers approached practices about the same as they do on a normal week -- a week in which Smith is not returning to action after sustaining a concussion.

When asked if Smith went through the same workload at practice as usual, 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman answered, "Thereabouts."

And how did Smith look at practice?

"He's looked good," Roman said. "He's looked really sharp."

In Smith's case, he took part in practices Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday."

Make of it what you will - I think Kap is practice ready and in about 12 hours we will know if he was game ready.

Yeah, I know. I read the excerpts from that press conference, too. As said, I don't believe they've given Kap most of the reps, I'm just hoping they gave him more than reports indicate.