• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smart Phones

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Phones are dainty things.

My daughter has broken like 4 of them

Also had 2 where the battery swelled up because of overcharging or not using the apple approved charging block.

I leave my phone plugged in all the time with crappy chargers from 5 below and never had an issue. And if an issue were to arise, I can go on amazon and get a new battery for like 8 bucks and pop it in, saving myself the trouble of going to talk to some hipster goof at the Apple store because my phone is fucked up.
I've been using Iphones for over 10 years and have not had any of that happen with them.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hipster jagoff at the Apple store said it was due to using non genuine charger.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New pixel comes out in about a month

giphy.gif

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been using the same phone (Samsung Galaxy Edge 6+) for over 5 years. Works fine. I really have zero reason to upgrade. My Company gives a massive discount on the phone purchase (75%+) every couple years so I may grab a Google Pixel just to see what it's all about... couple dead pixels on my phone and it seems a little slow over the last 1/2 year.

That said, these dorks that run out to grab the latest phone non-stop (especially the Millennials who then complain about rent being too high but can afford $1K phones) blows my mind.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seconded

Iphone's have their issues but the cameras are not typically one of them. Very good cameras with the best video recording in the game.

It looks like they made a lot more progress in the 11 series too. I didn't think the 11 was going to be an appreciable difference from the 10 but the camera and battery differences may be worth the upgrade to some people. They still should have threw a few extra features in it to compete more with the tech in some of the android market phones. (ie high refresh rate screens, better specs, reverse wireless charging, smaller notch, always on display, etc.) They didn't need to do all of that but they should have picked one or two of those to throw in on at least the 11 Pro Max.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been using the same phone (Samsung Galaxy Edge 6+) for over 5 years. Works fine. I really have zero reason to upgrade. My Company gives a massive discount on the phone purchase (75%+) every couple years so I may grab a Google Pixel just to see what it's all about... couple dead pixels on my phone and it seems a little slow over the last 1/2 year.

That said, these dorks that run out to grab the latest phone non-stop (especially the Millennials who then complain about rent being too high but can afford $1K phones) blows my mind.

how old are you?

like literally i don't even mean sarcastically

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how old are you?

like literally i don't even mean sarcastically

30s. I admit I use my phone quite rarely... don't have Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. And gaming on a phone is simply stupid to me due to the screen size/functionality (no keyboard/controller). So yah... basically for business and contact. And I'm not a camera whore that records/takes pictures every 5 minutes of my life.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30s. I admit I use my phone quite rarely... don't have Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. And gaming on a phone is simply stupid to me due to the screen size/functionality (no keyboard/controller). So yah... basically for business and contact. And I'm not a camera whore that records/takes pictures every 5 minutes of my life.

You know "millennials" are between 23 and 39 now, right? I had this same conversation with 2 friends in the last week lulz. They thought "millennials" was referring to people born in the 2000s, but their asses w

Everyone has different uses for phones and everyone doesn't need to buy a new phone every year (almost no one does for real, including me) i usually do though because i get into the tech and get bored with one after about that long. To each their own. :noidea:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know "millennials" are between 23 and 39 now, right? I had this same conversation with 2 friends in the last week lulz. They thought "millennials" was referring to people born in the 2000s, but their asses w

Everyone has different uses for phones and everyone doesn't need to buy a new phone every year (almost no one does for real, including me) i usually do though because i get into the tech and get bored with one after about that long. To each their own. :noidea:

I'm well aware Millennials can include the 30s - technically I meet the criteria. You asked me for my age demographic (which I gave) and I simply don't understand why people would blow thousands (especially if they are living with their parents or tight on cash which they then complain about money being tight) on a piece of hardware - which from my research RARELY serves a real value purchase. Even desktop/laptop CPUs (which I build in off time) do not need $1K upgrades over a year, let alone 2, and offer FAR more functionality unless there's a MAJOR architecture/technology change which smart phones as of late, there's simply not.

If you're in the 30s you're probably established and I PRAY living on your own... if you're in the 20s and recently graduated or employed and/or strapped for cash (which they complain about routinely)... really?

All said, if you can make a legitimate case to me WHY a new $1K piece of hardware is legitimately better than something 6 months ago then go for it - although I'm going to ask you what are your living conditions and did you really need it? And "Facial recognition and because it's so cool and the latest!" is NOT a valid reason.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm well aware Millennials can include the 30s - technically I meet the criteria. You asked me for my age demographic (which I gave) and I simply don't understand why people would blow thousands (especially if they are living with their parents or tight on cash which they then complain about money being tight) on a piece of hardware - which from my research RARELY serves a real value purchase. Even desktop/laptop CPUs (which I build in off time) do not need $1K upgrades over a year, let alone 2, and offer FAR more functionality unless there's a MAJOR architecture/technology change which smart phones as of late, there's simply not.

If you're in the 30s you're probably established and I PRAY living on your own... if you're in the 20s and recently graduated or employed... really?

All said, if you can make a legitimate case to me WHY a new $1K piece of hardware is legitimately better than something 6 months ago then go for it - although I'm going to ask you what are your living conditions and did you really need it? And "Facial recognition and because it's so cool and the latest!" is NOT a valid reason.

I am in my early 30's, can afford it, and spend hundreds of hours following the consumer tech industry as a kind of hobby year round. I've also never spent more than $600 on a flagship. You don't have to pay full price on launch day every year to get a new phone every year. There are plenty of good trade-in values on newish phones, and good sales too if you are patient. I get my $600 of use out of my phone every year and will continue to do so.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in my early 30's, can afford it, and spend hundreds of hours following the consumer tech industry as a kind of hobby year round. I've also never spent more than $600 on a flagship. You don't have to pay full price on launch day every year to get a new phone every year. There are plenty of good trade-in values on newish phones, and good sales too if you are patient. I get my $600 of use out of my phone every year and will continue to do so.

So, why exactly do you need to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone every 6-12 months (which I said was an issue with a # of Millennials that do it) with what I'd assume if you are getting a good price are specific or contractual considerations towards getting said upgrades ever year? End of day, I am not arguing you can't afford it, part of my argument is a # of Millennials (which you and I called out) CANNOT and are still doing so. You're in a VERY different category.

Hey, if you're a millennial (there are enough of them less than 10 years older than me that earn more) and can afford it go nuts... It's the same extravagant purchase as buying a new Ferrrari. That wasn't my point, my point was calling out the dorks that CANNOT afford it, which is FAR greater than the < 5% middle-upper and upper class.

I think end of day to summarize you've taken my statement out of context. I buy luxurious things... I get you CAN afford it. There's a ton of Millennials that spend a ton of money on this shit and THEY CANNOT, but want a ton of benefits and freebies (College namely) as a result.

Is the juice worth the squeeze. No... a new Iphone for $1k that you blew $1K on a year ago is not. And it especially pisses me off when these Phone fags blow this money on an app/facial recognition update and then complain I'm not submitting enough tax dollars. If you can buy something that is basically the same because you want to throw money away (which you seem to want to do), then I guess go crazy? I'm not trying to tell you how to spend..

Last edited:

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had one of the first mobile phones. We thought it was cool to carry a a35 lb bag on the beach and pay about $7 to call my wife' parents and say we were calling from Hampton Beach. Then I upgraded and let Verizon tear my company car apart to install everything.

I'm retired and don't do anything but text and make phone calls. Don't understand why people are thrilled with Twitter and trying to hold a conversation in 30 words or less. I hate facebook. I could never understand why anyone would want to tell the world that they were taking photos of the water droplets in their bathtub while having a bowel movement.

I do like Apple. My first was an Iphone6, moved to an 8 and now have an XR. Never really had a problem with any of them. Just got an offer from Apple to upgrade to a new Iphone 11 for $599.00. After reading about it, I don't want to spend $600 for a wide anglecamera.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, why exactly do you need to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone every 6-12 months (which I said was an issue with a # of Millennials that do it) with what I'd assume if you are getting a good price are specific or contractual considerations towards getting said upgrades ever year? End of day, I am not arguing you can't afford it, part of my argument is a # of Millennials (which you and I called out) CANNOT and are still doing so. You're in a VERY different category.

Hey, if you're a millennial (there are enough of them less than 10 years older than me that earn more) and can afford it go nuts... It's the same extravagant purchase as buying a new Ferrrari. That wasn't my point, my point was calling out the dorks that CANNOT afford it, which is FAR greater than the < 5% middle-upper and upper class.

I think end of day to summarize you've taken my statement out of context. I buy luxurious things... I get you CAN afford it. There's a ton of Millennials that spend a ton of money on this shit and THEY CANNOT, but want a ton of benefits and freebies (College namely) as a result.

Is the juice worth the squeeze. No... a new Iphone for $1k that you blew $1K on a year ago is not. And it especially pisses me off when these Phone fags blow this money on an app/facial recognition update and then complain I'm not submitting enough tax dollars. If you can buy something that is basically the same because you want to throw money away (which you seem to want to do), then I guess go crazy? I'm not trying to tell you how to spend..

Not getting into some faggy political argument on a tech forum about cell phones. Im sure there are plenty of victims on the tard board who will heed your judgemental call to arms.

Wunder.Noid

All your trophies are belong to Bama
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asus ROG II was just released. Got one on the way. :suds:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how ten years ago, almost no one had a decent digital camera and today it's seemingly THEE only reason to have a cell phone in the first place, so you can take a pic of your dinner and post it to half a dozen social media platforms.

I buy my cell phones for texting and emailing, and occasionally someone will try to call me on it. I don't even think younger people actually use theirs for calling, unless it's something like face time or skype. Voice only calls are soooo 1890's

And I think the watches are cool from a Dick Tracy/Jetsons nostalgia standpoint, but honestly, by the time they were mainstream we'd already moved past that technology to something even better. Good for you if you like them, but I don't see the point any more. A 500$ piece of tech is way more vulnerable on my wrist than in my pocket.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how ten years ago, almost no one had a decent digital camera and today it's seemingly THEE only reason to have a cell phone in the first place, so you can take a pic of your dinner and post it to half a dozen social media platforms.

I buy my cell phones for texting and emailing, and occasionally someone will try to call me on it. I don't even think younger people actually use theirs for calling, unless it's something like face time or skype. Voice only calls are soooo 1890's

And I think the watches are cool from a Dick Tracy/Jetsons nostalgia standpoint, but honestly, by the time they were mainstream we'd already moved past that technology to something even better. Good for you if you like them, but I don't see the point any more. A 500$ piece of tech is way more vulnerable on my wrist than in my pocket.

I always thought the watch concept was dumb as fuck. I saw some random dork get on the office elevator one time (a year or two ago). He's listening to music. Puts his phone IN his pocket (he had it out looking at something), then lifts his wrist to turn off the music via IWatch (or whatever the fuck the stupid thing is called). Spends about 15 seconds trying to navigate what is equivalent to trying to stick your dick in a Cheerio to get through, disables it, then pulls out his phone again.

I've never wanted to publicly beat someone up that bad in my life.

"But it measures health!" So does a fuckin' scale you fucktard.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asus ROG II was just released. Got one on the way. :suds:

That's an interesting choice that i'll give you props for. I've seen some reviews of that bitch and it's speced the fuck out. I would think that was definitely the best gaming phone on the market right now and has better specs than pretty much any phone on the market gaming or not.