• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SM

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • i

John KeimESPN Staff Writer
RICHMOND, Va. -- Former Washington Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan made it clear from his first tweet: He missed being part of “Redskins nation.” Based on fans' responses to him, they miss him as well. And later McCloughan tweeted he would return “if the situation was right.”

It’s hard to imagine the situation ever being right again for either side. But McCloughan still has interest in the team he worked for for more than two years -- and fans still want his insight. He’s been willing to share that insight on Twitter. (He even jumped into the Colin Kaepernick fray. When asked if Kaepernick was good enough to be an NFL starter this year, McCloughan simply responded, “Yes.”)

Among the topics he has discussed since joining Twitter last week:

Quarterback Kirk Cousins: In the offseason, McCloughan said Cousins had hit his ceiling, though he didn’t specify how high that meant. While he advocated for Cousins to get the starting job in 2015, he wasn’t in favor of re-signing him at any cost. The prevailing notion: Cousins was good, not great.

When asked if Cousins was a top-10 quarterback, McCloughan replied, “Yes.” And when asked if he had the top pick in the draft and could sign Cousins or draft a QB, he simply said, “I’d take a pass-rusher.”

Running back Matt Jones: He’s fallen out of favor with the coaches and barring injuries it’ll be tough for him to make the roster. But one of those players ahead of him that coaches were most excited to see -- Keith Marshall -- already is lost for the season. Still, there’s a good shot Jones won’t make the 53-man roster.

But McCloughan told fans he still believes in the 2015 third-round pick “big time.”

Why?

“Big body, good feet, good hands, speed and instinct.”

Guard Brandon Scherff: McCloughan liked him from the start, and his reasoning for drafting him hasn’t changed. But Scherff was selected to play tackle, only to be moved inside early in his first camp. The Redskins passed on defensive end Leonard Williams to select Scherff.

McCloughan was asked about that, too, and replied: “Tough, but I made the right decision.” He later expanded on the decision: “I wanted Brandon. He’s gone to the pro bowl already, he sets a culture.”

He later said Scherff would become an All-Pro someday.

The Redskins’ draft: McCloughan was fired in early March but said the draft board had already been set -- and was followed. The board always has involved input from multiple people, but McCloughan was in charge. Boards are tweaked after the combine and medical reports, but McCloughan said the Redskins followed his draft/free agent board to a “T,” with one exception. One source said seventh-round corner Josh Holsey was not on the original board in March.

McCloughan was asked, “Who is your proudest signing/draft pick during your time with Skins? And favorite pick other than Allen this year by Skins?”

The response: “[Scherff], Crowder, Kyshoen Jarrett and Matt Jones is going to be a stud. Ryan Anderson this year.”

McCloughan said he figuratively “stood on the table” for Crowder in 2015. He raved about Crowder early in the 2015 training camp, too.

And on Twitter, McCloughan predicted third-round corner Fabian Moreau could be a starter down the line “sooner than later.” And that both Moreau and 2016 third-round corner Kendall Fuller will be "damned good at a position that's hard to find." McCloughan had end Jonathan Allen as a top-five pick; Allen fell to 17.

McCloughan said Jarrett would be a starting safety now if not for the nerve damage to his arm that he suffered in the 2015 regular-season finale. He hasn’t played since that game. But McCloughan said D.J. Swearinger will solve the Redskins’ safety problems and agreed that fellow safety Su'a Cravens would make a big jump in Year 2 after switching from linebacker.

The Redskins signed Swearinger in free agency. They also signed receiver Terrelle Pryor, whom McCloughan said was his “#1 FA.”

One last draft nugget involved center Ryan Kelly from Alabama in 2016. McCloughan was asked what player the team missed out on because he was selected right before they picked. It was Kelly, taken 18th. And it led to Washington, with the 21st pick, trading down one spot and taking receiver Josh Doctson.

But McCloughan also predicted current center Spencer Long, who was moved to the position in the spring of 2016, would have a major impact this year.

Among his other thoughts: He likes linebacker Zach Brown, another free-agent signee, and McCloughan said there’s a 50-50 chance third-string quarterback Nate Sudfeld becomes a starter.

ok so here is some clarifications . 1st HE stood on the table for crowder so he should get credit (coach ) for the pick . it looks like they followed his draft board with the exception of hosley . it looks like his plan was followed for free agency as well

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • i

John KeimESPN Staff Writer
RICHMOND, Va. -- Former Washington Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan made it clear from his first tweet: He missed being part of “Redskins nation.” Based on fans' responses to him, they miss him as well. And later McCloughan tweeted he would return “if the situation was right.”

It’s hard to imagine the situation ever being right again for either side. But McCloughan still has interest in the team he worked for for more than two years -- and fans still want his insight. He’s been willing to share that insight on Twitter. (He even jumped into the Colin Kaepernick fray. When asked if Kaepernick was good enough to be an NFL starter this year, McCloughan simply responded, “Yes.”)

Among the topics he has discussed since joining Twitter last week:

Quarterback Kirk Cousins: In the offseason, McCloughan said Cousins had hit his ceiling, though he didn’t specify how high that meant. While he advocated for Cousins to get the starting job in 2015, he wasn’t in favor of re-signing him at any cost. The prevailing notion: Cousins was good, not great.

When asked if Cousins was a top-10 quarterback, McCloughan replied, “Yes.” And when asked if he had the top pick in the draft and could sign Cousins or draft a QB, he simply said, “I’d take a pass-rusher.”

Running back Matt Jones: He’s fallen out of favor with the coaches and barring injuries it’ll be tough for him to make the roster. But one of those players ahead of him that coaches were most excited to see -- Keith Marshall -- already is lost for the season. Still, there’s a good shot Jones won’t make the 53-man roster.

But McCloughan told fans he still believes in the 2015 third-round pick “big time.”

Why?

“Big body, good feet, good hands, speed and instinct.”

Guard Brandon Scherff: McCloughan liked him from the start, and his reasoning for drafting him hasn’t changed. But Scherff was selected to play tackle, only to be moved inside early in his first camp. The Redskins passed on defensive end Leonard Williams to select Scherff.

McCloughan was asked about that, too, and replied: “Tough, but I made the right decision.” He later expanded on the decision: “I wanted Brandon. He’s gone to the pro bowl already, he sets a culture.”

He later said Scherff would become an All-Pro someday.

The Redskins’ draft: McCloughan was fired in early March but said the draft board had already been set -- and was followed. The board always has involved input from multiple people, but McCloughan was in charge. Boards are tweaked after the combine and medical reports, but McCloughan said the Redskins followed his draft/free agent board to a “T,” with one exception. One source said seventh-round corner Josh Holsey was not on the original board in March.

McCloughan was asked, “Who is your proudest signing/draft pick during your time with Skins? And favorite pick other than Allen this year by Skins?”

The response: “[Scherff], Crowder, Kyshoen Jarrett and Matt Jones is going to be a stud. Ryan Anderson this year.”

McCloughan said he figuratively “stood on the table” for Crowder in 2015. He raved about Crowder early in the 2015 training camp, too.

And on Twitter, McCloughan predicted third-round corner Fabian Moreau could be a starter down the line “sooner than later.” And that both Moreau and 2016 third-round corner Kendall Fuller will be "damned good at a position that's hard to find." McCloughan had end Jonathan Allen as a top-five pick; Allen fell to 17.

McCloughan said Jarrett would be a starting safety now if not for the nerve damage to his arm that he suffered in the 2015 regular-season finale. He hasn’t played since that game. But McCloughan said D.J. Swearinger will solve the Redskins’ safety problems and agreed that fellow safety Su'a Cravens would make a big jump in Year 2 after switching from linebacker.

The Redskins signed Swearinger in free agency. They also signed receiver Terrelle Pryor, whom McCloughan said was his “#1 FA.”

One last draft nugget involved center Ryan Kelly from Alabama in 2016. McCloughan was asked what player the team missed out on because he was selected right before they picked. It was Kelly, taken 18th. And it led to Washington, with the 21st pick, trading down one spot and taking receiver Josh Doctson.

But McCloughan also predicted current center Spencer Long, who was moved to the position in the spring of 2016, would have a major impact this year.

Among his other thoughts: He likes linebacker Zach Brown, another free-agent signee, and McCloughan said there’s a 50-50 chance third-string quarterback Nate Sudfeld becomes a starter.

ok so here is some clarifications . 1st HE stood on the table for crowder so he should get credit (coach ) for the pick . it looks like they followed his draft board with the exception of hosley . it looks like his plan was followed for free agency as well

If Jones and Kojo gets released, I think his image gets a little tarnished. Pryor came to us b/c I believe we offered the highest amount of money on a one year deal. As far as the draft goes, Allen was a no brainer pick. Any GM would of made it. We needed an OLB so Anderson was the pick. It made sense b/c TM and JG are heading to Fa next year. Everyone was saying Moreau is better than his draft slot and was going to fall b/c of his injury. Plus we needed a CB with BB hitting FA next year.

I knew we were targeting Kelly two years ago. Some people said he wasn't a first round pick. Good stuff here skinksdad

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jones and Kojo gets released, I think his image gets a little tarnished. Pryor came to us b/c I believe we offered the highest amount of money on a one year deal. As far as the draft goes, Allen was a no brainer pick. Any GM would of made it. We needed an OLB so Anderson was the pick. It made sense b/c TM and JG are heading to Fa next year. Everyone was saying Moreau is better than his draft slot and was going to fall b/c of his injury. Plus we needed a CB with BB hitting FA next year.

I knew we were targeting Kelly two years ago. Some people said he wasn't a first round pick. Good stuff here skinksdad

I think that all GMs miss on some draft picks - I don't think that any of them pick correctly 100% of the time - even in the early rounds. Beyond the specific picks I believe that SM played a very important role in a culture change where the Redskins are finally valuing draft picks. Up until the last several years their draft history has been outright awful.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that all GMs miss on some draft picks - I don't think that any of them pick correctly 100% of the time - even in the early rounds. Beyond the specific picks I believe that SM played a very important role in a culture change where the Redskins are finally valuing draft picks. Up until the last several years their draft history has been outright awful.

Of course they all miss. It is nice to see that we have draft picks in the future.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington Redskins draft history - Wikipedia

As a reminder - take a look at the Redskins drafts since 2000 (basically the Snyder era). The top 2 picks that year (2 of top 3 in draft) were really good ones - the rest of that draft sucked. With very few exceptions the 2001-2003 drafts were terrible. 2004 - of course - brought Taylor & Cooley. 2005-2008 drafts were very, very forgettable. 2009 draft brought Orakpo & nothing else. Most of the other drafts brought a handful of good players (Kerrigan, Cousins, Reed) but not that much overall.

There are still some misses, but I believe that Redskins are turning the corner where you would expect more than 1-2 players from each draft to make solid contributions & certainly avoid some of the horrid drafts from previous regimes. SM was only one part of this, but I believe that he helped to shape this culture & hopefully whoever is running this now keeps this going in the rt direction (& for God sakes no more major trade ups for QBs).

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bullshit on sm he just sold out on are scout

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are scout stood up for crowder he begged sm for crowder according to are scout

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok coach , the scout finds a player (crowder ) . the GM (SM) selects the player (crowder ) after consultation with the HC , allen and snyder . So SM said Crowder was the pick to make and they did . shelve your SM hate and learn how drafting is done

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are scout stood up for crowder he begged sm for crowder according to are scout
Now I understand. Its "Our", not "are". I realize that English is a second language for you. Just trying to help. BTW, read what dad says above as to how it works in every franchise. Here is no different.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know SM has messed up a few picks, but why was he fired again? Year 3 of his oversight and the talent level and potential looks great. Motivation and execution will be another thing, I fear Gruden may need another face to motivate. Obviously he is respected and talented offensively, I wonder if SM actually got some players going too

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know SM has messed up a few picks, but why was he fired again?

I think the term "In Scot we trust" rubbed some one the wrong way, and thus Scot had to go.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the term "In Scot we trust" rubbed some one the wrong way, and thus Scot had to go.

oh yeaaaaaah. That idiot Bruce, I don't hate him as much as Dan but its getting there.
very interested in the tone of this next pre season game, I'm slightly worried about Gruden

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to remember this is the 3rd time Scot has been let go also.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to remember this is the 3rd time Scot has been let go also.

Actually he was fired by the Niners, resigned from the Seahawks, and got railroaded by the Redskins.... But yea this is the third GM gig he has lost.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh yeaaaaaah. That idiot Bruce, I don't hate him as much as Dan but its getting there.
very interested in the tone of this next pre season game, I'm slightly worried about Gruden

Actually, I hate Bruce far more. Dan could be a good owner because he is willing to spend. He just needs to hire the right football guys and not let the wrong one fire the right one.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the team doesn't do well this year, we'll definitely be getting an old-new GM here. Bruce is gone :hope: and SM is rehired. This time with full authority.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if scott was fired why would he public say he would come back to the redskins ?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if scott was fired why would he public say he would come back to the redskins ?
He said only if the conditions were right. My bet is one of those conditions is that Bruce is no longer here, or at least in charge of him.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said only if the conditions were right. My bet is one of those conditions is that Bruce is no longer here, or at least in charge of him.

Yep & it is good gesture to say something like this to put yourself in position to perhaps be hired by another team in the future. BTW - just because someone is fired by a team doesn't mean that the team won't take you back or that the person fired is angry & would never work for that organization again.

Cerrato was fired by the Redskins & rehired one year later.