• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Similarities of NE to Denvers Offense

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So from my rudimentary research they look a little similar. Both love the short timing routes, while Denver had the better weapons at WR last year, NE has better TE. Both running games don't really scare anyone.

both QB's don't really throw deep. I was surprised that TB's completion percentage when throwing long is poor, like 25% or so.

Last year, Thomas had a record for receptions, but paid for every single one of them. Look for Edalman to get the same treatment.

I am getting so fired up.

Thoughts? Any denver fans still around?

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So from my rudimentary research they look a little similar. Both love the short timing routes, while Denver had the better weapons at WR last year, NE has better TE. Both running games don't really scare anyone.

both QB's don't really throw deep. I was surprised that TB's completion percentage when throwing long is poor, like 25% or so.

Last year, Thomas had a record for receptions, but paid for every single one of them. Look for Edalman to get the same treatment.

They don't have a deep threat. Haven't since Moss left. The receivers excel in the short and medium passing game though. Very sure handed now that Welker is gone. :lol:

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Edelman gets hit like Thomas did, he won't make it very long. Seattle may be able to get Amendola out of the game just by staring at him. The only one that can stand up to Seattle physically is Gronk. The others have to avoid contact as much as possible.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying both broncos and pats offense like short to medium routes and weak run games is severely over simplifying them and if you were a coach Belichick would have a field day with you. You can also say both teams are fond of the rub (pick) plays and using crossing routes and finding open seams.

You will see a lot more creativity with the Pats offense. Broncos like their bread and butter. Find a screen you like and run it 10 times a game. The patriots are going to do a better job disguising their plays and throwing in kinks to trip up the defense. Watch for eligible vs. ineligible change ups that might have the RB lined in WR or a tackle being a receiver.

On top of that, the patriots run game tends to be more elective. I think they can run it and decide whether they want to. You also have to take into accounts broncos receivers tend to be soft in press coverage. If they can't run their routes unimpeded they quit on the play or look for a flag. The patriots receivers will not get pushed around so easily.

Wazzu, you seem to be taking the pats a little too lightly. I guess the recent seahawks domination has spoiled you a little. Make no mistake, the patriots are good. They are well coached and can play scrubs that look great with them.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no expert but it seems like Peyton loves curl routes.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OFCs are similar...I would disagree on the point of them not throwing deep though.

If there's a difference...this is what I would point out.

1st...NE doesn't have the OFC studs aside from Gronk so they tend send the play where the DEF dictates, instead of tying to take advantage of matchups outside of Gronk.

2nd...NE is quicker to adjust to what you're doing well. If the RT is getting beat a lot...it won't take them 2Qs to figure out how to get him some help.

3rd...you're right that RBs are not really players to fear, but NE is not afraid to run...they tend to play a little more physical than you might think along the OL.

I've said all week, the last 2 weeks really...if SEA's front 4 are getting to Brady a lot, The Hawks are going to repeat by two scores...if they don't, TB will find the open player and NE will win a fairly close game. On DEF...the Pats are not pretty good at CB themselves...I think they will stack the box and try to make Wilson beat them throwing into a mix of coverages.

I'm looking for to a good game.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying both broncos and pats offense like short to medium routes and weak run games is severely over simplifying them and if you were a coach Belichick would have a field day with you. You can also say both teams are fond of the rub (pick) plays and using crossing routes and finding open seams.

You will see a lot more creativity with the Pats offense. Broncos like their bread and butter. Find a screen you like and run it 10 times a game. The patriots are going to do a better job disguising their plays and throwing in kinks to trip up the defense. Watch for eligible vs. ineligible change ups that might have the RB lined in WR or a tackle being a receiver.

On top of that, the patriots run game tends to be more elective. I think they can run it and decide whether they want to. You also have to take into accounts broncos receivers tend to be soft in press coverage. If they can't run their routes unimpeded they quit on the play or look for a flag. The patriots receivers will not get pushed around so easily.

Wazzu, you seem to be taking the pats a little too lightly. I guess the recent seahawks domination has spoiled you a little. Make no mistake, the patriots are good. They are well coached and can play scrubs that look great with them.

Not quite sure how comparing NE to the best offense (statistically) ever is taking them lightly?

Im very scared of this game,,,,but I was scared of GB,,,, CAR, hell i was scared of the STL game to end the year, im a worrier,

But trying to look at things and compare them to other teams to get some perspective.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OFCs are similar...I would disagree on the point of them not throwing deep though.

If there's a difference...this is what I would point out.

1st...NE doesn't have the OFC studs aside from Gronk so they tend send the play where the DEF dictates, instead of tying to take advantage of matchups outside of Gronk.

2nd...NE is quicker to adjust to what you're doing well. If the RT is getting beat a lot...it won't take them 2Qs to figure out how to get him some help.

3rd...you're right that RBs are not really players to fear, but NE is not afraid to run...they tend to play a little more physical than you might think along the OL.

I've said all week, the last 2 weeks really...if SEA's front 4 are getting to Brady a lot, The Hawks are going to repeat by two scores...if they don't, TB will find the open player and NE will win a fairly close game. On DEF...the Pats are not pretty good at CB themselves...I think they will stack the box and try to make Wilson beat them throwing into a mix of coverages.

I'm looking for to a good game.

Good points,

1- Seattle will squeeze the field. trying to force TB to throw it deep outside the numbers which is where Seattle really thrives. the Safeties and LB will try to suffocate the short stuff and tackle. This team usually tackles very very well. NEED to do that vs NE

2-Seattle defensively atleast doesn't do much. Im sure BB figured out our D in about 30 minutes of film. We play Cover 3, and we play Man under and rush 4. Were gonna bump you at the line, and were gonna rally to the ball. Thats it.

3.Blount has had some good games, and they will test our middle im sure... we have a couple of DT's on IR at the moment.... but im more worried about Vareen out of the backfield.

Fun fact about last superbowl, Seattle didn't record any sacks. We were up in mannings kitchen all game but never actually god home.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well to me there are some major differences between the two. First off NE is a lot more creative in the way they run things. Denver pretty much has the mindset of we have great talent and have no problem using our strength even if it goes against your strength. Such as in the Super Bowl last year the Broncos kept trying to force the pass and it just wasn't working at all.

NE on the other hand watches the tape and sees where the weakness is in the defense and attacks that and when the defense adjusts they change to take advantage of how you changed. A great example is that of against Baltimore their strength is that of stopping the run so NE hardly ever ran the ball. Then in the very next game against the Colts they are very good against the pass but stink against the run so they just ran the heck out of the ball.

Throw in Brady is a little more mobile (not much) than that of Manning so you can't just keep sending pressure up the middle and know that it is going to disrupt the offense.

I would say the biggest difference between the two is coaching. The Broncos essentially relied on Manning to run the entire offense and the coaches just were not good of looking for weaknesses they could exploit. With the Broncos from game 1 to the end of the season for the most part they ran the very same things over and over. For NE you never know what type of offense they are going to feature from week to week.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points,

1- Seattle will squeeze the field. trying to force TB to throw it deep outside the numbers which is where Seattle really thrives. the Safeties and LB will try to suffocate the short stuff and tackle. This team usually tackles very very well. NEED to do that vs NE

2-Seattle defensively atleast doesn't do much. Im sure BB figured out our D in about 30 minutes of film. We play Cover 3, and we play Man under and rush 4. Were gonna bump you at the line, and were gonna rally to the ball. Thats it.

3.Blount has had some good games, and they will test our middle im sure... we have a couple of DT's on IR at the moment.... but im more worried about Vareen out of the backfield.

Fun fact about last superbowl, Seattle didn't record any sacks. We were up in mannings kitchen all game but never actually god home.

NE has to mix it up between the run and short pass. If they can't run, they'll have a real hard time passing.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it was 2 1/2 years ago but Brady had almost 400 yds against Seattle last time they played.

Peyton stuggled in the Super Bowl against Seattle but also struggled earlier that season in the preseason in similar fashion.

Its not conclusive evidence or anything but my hunch is that Brady will be able to get short passes against Seattle.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it was 2 1/2 years ago but Brady had almost 400 yds against Seattle last time they played.

Peyton stuggled in the Super Bowl against Seattle but also struggled earlier that season in the preseason in similar fashion.

Its not conclusive evidence or anything but my hunch is that Brady will be able to get short passes against Seattle.

Yeah he had alot of yards....Brady put a whooping on Brandon Browner that day. I think Aaron Hernandez had a pretty nice game too.

We'll see.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he had alot of yards....Brady put a whooping on Brandon Browner that day. I think Aaron Hernandez had a pretty nice game too.

We'll see.
138 yds from Welker, 80 from Lloyd, 60 from Gronk, 46 from Woodhead, 35 from Fells, 30 From Hernandez, 5 from Branch.

So totally different people although Amendola and Edelman can probably get most of that Woodhead and Welker action going.

And you'll see. I'll pass on the Super Bowl.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points,

Meant to say NE CB are pretty good.

1...yes...SEA has very athletic LBs and obviously with the CBs they have they can also bring one of the S up to secure the short area...it will be very interesting to see how that effects NE short passing game.

2...yep...the whole philosophy is not based on deception...we think our guys are better than your guys...let's play...just going back to the GB game...they were able to move the ball okay because the front 4 was not wrecking havoc against Rodgers...that's really the difference from the '13 Hawks to this team to me...it's also what makes me think NE has a good chance to move the ball...if there's a difference from GB...Gronk in the RZ.

3...I just think NE is more willing to test every part of the DEF...TB doesn't care how they beat you, whereas Manning wants that ball in the air ideally.

Pressure...this is the biggest difference to PM and TB in that regard...Manning doesn't want to get hit...period...Brady...I'm sure he doesn't like getting hit, but he has more of a LB mentality...he expects to get hit, often runs the QB sneak...just being in his space is not the same as being in Manning's...I agree sacks aren't all that, but you need to hit Brady.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to say NE CB are pretty good.

1...yes...SEA has very athletic LBs and obviously with the CBs they have they can also bring one of the S up to secure the short area...it will be very interesting to see how that effects NE short passing game.

2...yep...the whole philosophy is not based on deception...we think our guys are better than your guys...let's play...just going back to the GB game...they were able to move the ball okay because the front 4 was not wrecking havoc against Rodgers...that's really the difference from the '13 Hawks to this team to me...it's also what makes me think NE has a good chance to move the ball...if there's a difference from GB...Gronk in the RZ.

3...I just think NE is more willing to test every part of the DEF...TB doesn't care how they beat you, whereas Manning wants that ball in the air ideally.

Pressure...this is the biggest difference to PM and TB in that regard...Manning doesn't want to get hit...period...Brady...I'm sure he doesn't like getting hit, but he has more of a LB mentality...he expects to get hit, often runs the QB sneak...just being in his space is not the same as being in Manning's...I agree sacks aren't all that, but you need to hit Brady.

One thing I will disagree with is you said GB moved the ball ok. Our front four didn't get to him, your right, but our Defense shut that offense down. Seattles Offense did everything they could to lose that game but the defense was stifling. Only allowing ONE td after FIVE turnovers....

Thats what people dont notice during the nfccg. the D was epic.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that still stands out for me from the GB V SEA game is how wide open the middle of the field was for Rodgers and the Packers. But Rodgers is an impatient QB who likes to work deep and outside instead of just taking the dink and dunk stuff. Brady is the opposite and will throw to the short middle all day long if Seattle gives it to him.

How well Seattle improves in that area from 2 weeks ago will decide the outcome of this game IMO.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that still stands out for me from the GB V SEA game is how wide open the middle of the field was for Rodgers and the Packers. But Rodgers is an impatient QB who likes to work deep and outside instead of just taking the dink and dunk stuff. Brady is the opposite and will throw to the short middle all day long if Seattle gives it to him.

How well Seattle improves in that area from 2 weeks ago will decide the outcome of this game IMO.

A bit of hyperbole here no? I mean if it was wide open you don't think the best qb in the game could of gotten to his 2nd or 3rd read to hit it? They had a couple completions over the middle, but again, 1 td after 5 turnovers.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rodgers had less than 200 yards, a ypa of 5.7 and he took 3 sacks. If Brady has that type of production and the Hawks dont put them in FG range every possession of the first half, the Hawks run away with it.

According to ESPN Gamecast, Rodgers had 3 completions over the middle, most of their production came from short passes to the left.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing more against most teams wins you games. Throwing more against Seattle, does not. The Pats dont have a chance if they think they can win it by slinging it. Look at any of the great passing offenses in the league (Broncos, Saints, Packers) when they play Seattle two times. The first time they try to do what they do and air it out and it doesnt work well at all, the second time, they change it all up and try to play the Seahawks game, slow down and slug it out. Which turns out to be just a different way to lose.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing more against most teams wins you games. Throwing more against Seattle, does not. The Pats dont have a chance if they think they can win it by slinging it. Look at any of the great passing offenses in the league (Broncos, Saints, Packers) when they play Seattle two times. The first time they try to do what they do and air it out and it doesnt work well at all, the second time, they change it all up and try to play the Seahawks game, slow down and slug it out. Which turns out to be just a different way to lose.

Dallas showed how to beat Seattle. I think the Pats do run it often, but if you stuff the box, watch out.