• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SI: Broncos CB Roby using offseason training for physical, personal growth

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOS ANGELES -- From the perspective of sheer physical talent, Ohio State's Bradley Roby was perhaps the most impressive cornerback prospect in the 2014 draft. That's saying something, considering that five cornerbacks were taken in the first round, but Roby's tape and measurables do stand out when he's playing at his best. At the scouting combine, Roby ran a 4.34 40-yard dash despite suffering a knee injury last December, and he aced the agility drills. No surprise there, as Roby showed through three seasons with the Buckeyes that he had the trail speed, short-area agility and raw technique to excel in this era of aggressive pass defense. Even at 5-11 and 194 pounds, Roby appeared to be an ideal version of the modern starting cornerback. The Broncos selected him with the No. 31 overall pick, and expect him to start in a secondary that also includes new acquisitions Aqib Talib and T.J. Ward.

Then again, there have been lapses in judgment on and off the field that have left NFL teams wondering. In April, he was arrested for driving a vehicle while impaired -- the police found him in a parked car and smelled alcohol. Last July, he was charged with disorderly conduct based on his alleged role in a bar fight -- the charges were dismissed, but in the rarefied air of the first round, these things tend to add up.

Similarly, as talented as he is, Roby will occasionally lose his bearings on the field. There was perhaps no better example than in Ohio State's 31-24 win over Wisconsin last September: Roby amassed eight tackles and an interception, but was also exposed in coverage by receiver Jared Abbrederis, who used his route awareness and quick cuts to fool Roby to the tune of 10 catches for 207 yards and a touchdown. In straight routes, especially deeper ones, Roby stuck to his receivers like glue, but he also zigged too often when he should have zagged.

Denver Broncos CB Bradley Roby using offseason training for physical and personal growth - NFL - SI.com

Good read, sounds like the kid has the right mindset.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hope that Roby is a stud. He certainly seems to have the physical ability to do so.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Just keep out of trouble kid, and you've got a bright future. Can't wait to see him on the field.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid is one that I think in 5 years could be considered the steal of the 1st round as I think his potential is greater than that of Gilbert taken at pick 8. He just has to stay focused and out of trouble. I think he is in the perfect setting though with a guy like Talib who is a lot like him in all the potential in the world but almost blew his opportunity by letting off the field issues get in the way.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to pass this along, but a friend of mine who is an avid Buckeyes fan and watches all of their games told me that in terms of physicality Roby makes "Deon Sanders look like Ray Lewis". Hope that is wrong, of course. Very disappointing.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched quite a few of his games TDs3nOut since we drafted him and not sure what your Buckeye fan is seeing. Almost every scout that was interviewed about him said his physicality and speed are the first 2 things to stick out about him. I watched him hit quite a few times like a safety who loves contact. If anything I am worried about him getting penalized for too big of hits. I would ask your friend about the hit he made that actually got him kicked out of a game?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched quite a few of his games TDs3nOut since we drafted him and not sure what your Buckeye fan is seeing. Almost every scout that was interviewed about him said his physicality and speed are the first 2 things to stick out about him. I watched him hit quite a few times like a safety who loves contact. If anything I am worried about him getting penalized for too big of hits. I would ask your friend about the hit he made that actually got him kicked out of a game?

I was surprised by his description, since I somehow had the impression that Roby is unusually physical. Hope you are right and my friend is wrong about him. I haven't seen him play, other than that clip of missed tackles that was aired during the draft.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha yeah I have watched probably 15 of his games since the season ended (he was one of the players I was looking at for the Broncos to draft). He is a mixed bag I will give him that. The problem in his game is not skill related at all. The problem with his game (and a bit surprised by an Urban Meyer coached team) is it is very undisciplined. Maybe your friend thought he was unphysical because there were times where he got burned when he did try to get physical. The problem with him though was more his technical skills. When he was told to get physical a lot of times he took that as just go pop the guy in the mouth so he would go undisciplined like running at the receiver and on occasion would just whiff.

I would also say last year was a bad showing his skills because he was in a very bad defense to maximize his skills. The year before when he was getting so hyped up they had him in press coverage most of the year. The next year they switched to a more off-man type coverage and he really struggled especially with double moves. Off-man coverage required a lot more discipline in understanding things such as double moves and knowing when to go ahead and start back pedaling. He wasn't ready for it and struggled. It would be like if we tried to put Talib in that style of defense. Yes he could do decent but it isn't his strong suit.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to pass this along, but a friend of mine who is an avid Buckeyes fan and watches all of their games told me that in terms of physicality Roby makes "Deon Sanders look like Ray Lewis". Hope that is wrong, of course. Very disappointing.

I really don`t think 1 1/2 " and 4 lbs justifies that kind of comparrison. Could be your pal is an avid Browns fan too, and we all know they hate Denver:)