• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shump & JR to Cleveland

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why people think the Thunder giving up a 1st round for Waiters is a win. I don't see that at all.

The cavs now have 2 1st rounders to keep shopping with

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs are doing what they did last time. Grabbing anything they can to appease LeBron. Is Donyell Marshall still out there?

The big difference is...

Last time around they were shopping for role players to fit around LeBron.

This time they are shopping for role players to fit around LeBron, Love, and Irving.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why people think the Thunder giving up a 1st round for Waiters is a win. I don't see that at all.

The cavs now have 2 1st rounders to keep shopping with

because a thunder 1st round pick is probably somewhere between 25-30th overall. Not particularly great. Proven NBA talent in Waiters.

LUNCHBOX

LOGIC
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pointless trade for Cleveland. Doesn't make them that much better. I think OKC got a nice young player to mix with Durant and Westbrook. NY gets out of a hole.

This reminds me of a LBJ move when he was in Cleveland when he wanted Mo Williams and Jamison and then left the next year and putting Cleveland in a hole.

even I would feel sorry for Cleveland if the queen pulled that shit again

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because a thunder 1st round pick is probably somewhere between 25-30th overall. Not particularly great. Proven NBA talent in Waiters.

I don't know if I'd use "Proven NBA Talent" to describe Waiters, though he certainly has a lot of potential.

LUNCHBOX

LOGIC
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was an awful pick and Wiggy was beside himself defending it.

The guy did not start at Syracuse and the Cavs wasted a top 5 pick on him...thats a Knicks move right there

BTW happy new year to my friends from fan nation

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IT is a dumbass trade for the Thunder that makes little sense, but they did not give up much I suppose so the downside is somewhat minimalized.

Risky "hail mary" trade for the Cavs....It kind of smacks of desperation and betting on a single number at the Roulette wheel. I guess it could work perfectly if everything falls in line exactly.... or it could make things worse for them present and future. There is no middle ground.

The sad sack embarrassing Knicks actually won the trade. They get rid of salaries and head cases to set up a very interesting and possibly franchise altering off-season window for success.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IT is a dumbass trade for the Thunder that makes little sense, but they did not give up much I suppose so the downside is somewhat minimalized.

Risky "hail mary" trade for the Cavs....It kind of smacks of desperation and betting on a single number at the Roulette wheel. I guess it could work perfectly if everything falls in line exactly.... or it could make things worse for them present and future. There is no middle ground.

The sad sack embarrassing Knicks actually won the trade. They get rid of salaries and head cases to set up a very interesting and possibly franchise altering off-season window for success.

I see it a little different. Thunder gave up almost nothing to get the #4 pick 3 years ago. He has potential. Low risk high reward move for them.
I think all 3 teams got what they were after.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knicks should of got more but freeing up money is number one for them. They should of at least got a 1st rd pick. Cleveland adds another player who doesn't play Defense and takes a lot of shots and a player that is ok at D but is so so on offense.
OKC gets a player that can help them win.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Knicks did not win this trade. They got complete garbage back (players they are waiving for cap space and a 2019 2nd rounder). The best summation I've seen for what they got back was from Twitter or Deadspin (can't remember which one) "The Knicks traded JR Smith and Iman Shumpert for a Ninth Grader and cap relief".

The point isn't they got cap relief. They were due that anyway. The point is they undersold their assets when they really even didn't need cap relief that badly. They were set to have enough room this summer to add a max guy. Now they have room to afford ONE quality role player to go along with it, really a player like Iman Shumpert (if he's ever healthy). So they had no real pressing need to dump people (other than to flat out tank Sixers style). It's not like they were locked into huge contracts for years with no way to improve. And Shump and JR could draw a 2nd rounder each (like a 15 or 16 pick, not some distant future pick). Heck, NY was refusing offers of a 1st rounder for Shump last year from OKC and other teams throughout the summer. Yet they got one 2nd rounder for BOTH of them and that pick is 4 years away.

The Knicks may come out ahead in the long run but it won't be because of this deal. This is one of those types of situations in life where you fuck something up but by random chance, things still work out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiters a #4 draft pick and going to about the best place he could go to get his act together if he truly wants to. No brainer for the Thunder.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Knicks did not win this trade. They got complete garbage back (players they are waiving for cap space and a 2019 2nd rounder). The best summation I've seen for what they got back was from Twitter or Deadspin (can't remember which one) "The Knicks traded JR Smith and Iman Shumpert for a Ninth Grader and cap relief".
They didn't lose either.

Everyone got what they wanted out of this deal.

They tried to trade Shump all last year and his value was garbage.

They were not gonna keep him after the Season and gave him to the desperate Cavs just to get them to take Smith off their hands.

There is no reason for the Knicks to pay all that money in luxury taxes for a 5 win team.

They got rid of a malcontent while shedding one of few longterm contracts.

Looks like a win to me.

I didn't read deadspin. But, every other News outlet sees it differently and I agree with them.

On Monday night, the New York Knicks made a trade. And guess what? It actually made sense. Full details from USA TODAY Sports’ Jeff Zillgitt and Sam Amick here.

Straight salary dump, folks! And an eye on the future! Can you think of a team that needs a clean slate more than the perennially bad New York Knicks?

The Knicks didn?t get much in this trade (and that?s a good thing) | For The Win

The Cleveland Cavaliers needed offensive and defensive help on the perimeter.

The New York Knicks wanted to dump salary and create more salary cap space for next season.

The Oklahoma City Thunder wanted more depth and protection just in case they lose guard Reggie Jackson during free agency in the offseason.

Cavs, Knicks and Thunder all achieve goals in trade

This trade for the Knicks was financially motivated for both short and long term. They have the option to waive all three players they traded for by Wednesday and not owe them anything.

The Knicks also waived center Samuel Dalembert, a move that will save $3.8 million. In all, the moves to unload Shumpert, Smith and Dalembert will save the team more than $20 million in salary and luxury taxes.

"As our journey moves through this season, we will search for the type of players that fit the style we hope to exhibit to our fans. Our desire to improve our ability to compete," Knicks team president Phil Jackson said in a statement. "These transactions improve our flexibility to the current roster and the salary cap for future seasons."

With Smith's $6.4 million player option for next year now off their books, the Knicks are looking at having in excess of $30 million in cap space next summer. Smith gets a $533,135 trade kicker bonus as part of the deal.

J.R. Smith, Dion Waiters involved in 3-team trade between New York Knicks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Oklahoma City Thunder - ESPN

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the last time the Knicks had that much cap room they hit a grand slam and signed Melo and Amare,

(LOL)

good luck!!!!!! how many teams ACTUALLY come up big in free agency? There are only so many guys that are worth the max. Even a guy like Deron Williams whothe NEts traded for and resigned to the max did not work out----- Melo i dunno- can you really say he has "worked out"?

in all likelihood the Knicks give way too much money to guys who dont deserve it in order for another quick fix that just doesnt work and history repeats itself

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they acquired Melo via trade.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the last time the Knicks had that much cap room they hit a grand slam and signed Melo and Amare,

(LOL)

good luck!!!!!! how many teams ACTUALLY come up big in free agency? There are only so many guys that are worth the max. Even a guy like Deron Williams whothe NEts traded for and resigned to the max did not work out----- Melo i dunno- can you really say he has "worked out"?

in all likelihood the Knicks give way too much money to guys who dont deserve it in order for another quick fix that just doesnt work and history repeats itself

No.

They got Round-Shoulders Ray Felton and Amare:L

They should avoid Gasol, even if he is a great fit in the Triangle and target Monroe.

They shouldn't even glance in Brook-en Lopez's direction.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't lose either.

Everyone got what they wanted out of this deal.

They tried to trade Shump all last year and his value was garbage.

They were not gonna keep him after the Season and gave him to the desperate Cavs just to get them to take Smith off their hands.

There is no reason for the Knicks to pay all that money in luxury taxes for a 5 win team.

They got rid of a malcontent while shedding one of few longterm contracts.

Looks like a win to me.

I didn't read deadspin. But, every other News outlet sees it differently and I agree with them.

On Monday night, the New York Knicks made a trade. And guess what? It actually made sense. Full details from USA TODAY Sports’ Jeff Zillgitt and Sam Amick here.

Straight salary dump, folks! And an eye on the future! Can you think of a team that needs a clean slate more than the perennially bad New York Knicks?

The Knicks didn?t get much in this trade (and that?s a good thing) | For The Win

The Cleveland Cavaliers needed offensive and defensive help on the perimeter.

The New York Knicks wanted to dump salary and create more salary cap space for next season.

The Oklahoma City Thunder wanted more depth and protection just in case they lose guard Reggie Jackson during free agency in the offseason.

Cavs, Knicks and Thunder all achieve goals in trade

This trade for the Knicks was financially motivated for both short and long term. They have the option to waive all three players they traded for by Wednesday and not owe them anything.

The Knicks also waived center Samuel Dalembert, a move that will save $3.8 million. In all, the moves to unload Shumpert, Smith and Dalembert will save the team more than $20 million in salary and luxury taxes.

"As our journey moves through this season, we will search for the type of players that fit the style we hope to exhibit to our fans. Our desire to improve our ability to compete," Knicks team president Phil Jackson said in a statement. "These transactions improve our flexibility to the current roster and the salary cap for future seasons."

With Smith's $6.4 million player option for next year now off their books, the Knicks are looking at having in excess of $30 million in cap space next summer. Smith gets a $533,135 trade kicker bonus as part of the deal.

J.R. Smith, Dion Waiters involved in 3-team trade between New York Knicks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Oklahoma City Thunder - ESPN

No, they lost. You're missing the point. The value they got is way lower than it should have been. They were going to have cap room regardless. They could have made other moves to get cap room as well. They took 2 assets and sold them short for something they already had. Them getting extra cap space doesn't make it a good deal for them. Think of it as a you wanting to build a new house. You have some cash so you decide you're going to upgrade. Instead of selling your current house for extra cash to fund you in the future, you just burn everything to the ground and go look for a new place. That's essentially what NY did. They got nothing of any value at all.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they lost. You're missing the point. The value they got is way lower than it should have been. They were going to have cap room regardless. They could have made other moves to get cap room as well. They took 2 assets and sold them short for something they already had. Them getting extra cap space doesn't make it a good deal for them. Think of it as a you wanting to build a new house. You have some cash so you decide you're going to upgrade. Instead of selling your current house for extra cash to fund you in the future, you just burn everything to the ground and go look for a new place. That's essentially what NY did. They got nothing of any value at all.

What value do you think JR Smith and Shump have?

Nobody was giving them jack for a broken one way player and a lockerroom cancer.

You are clearly over valuing those two players.

Ps. Having an extra 6mil in cap is nothing to sneeze at nor is a 20mil savings in luxury tax.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah....Not only do they rid themselves of JR's 6 mil. But, they also get rid of Shump's cap hold.

So, that makes it 20mil saved this year and 12mil more to spend on free agents this Summer.

Win.

Nate Duncan ✔ @NateDuncanNBA
Follow
Remember Knicks plan to use cap space in summer 2015. Less likely to keep Shumpert as RFA, probably gets renounced w/ over $6 mm cap hold