• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

should we have started Kaep from beginning of season?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many were called dink and dunk, and how many did Smith dink and dunk to his second or third read? It's rather curious how many longer passes we've seen the past two weeks. Maybe the conservative offense is Smith's decision-making rather than the playcalling. Just a thought.

I agree Smith was great at the end. He wasn't for most of the game. Frankly, if he hadn't had the fourth quarter that he did, the chatter about that game would have been about how Smith blew it. That's obviously a moot point as he had that great 4th quater, but arguing it was a great game from end-to-end is just ridiculous IMO.

Fair enough.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have been one of Smith's biggest supports. WTH you mean you're not a Smith guy?

Ha ha. How quickly we forget. You tell him Crimson who was the original Smith hater on this baord before Clyde got here.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That's practically an entire game's worth of pass plays for Smith in a little over two quarters. He was given every opportunity to get out to a huge lead, and he failed to capitalize. Until the end of the game, it was a pretty mediocre performance from Smith. That's just the reality of the situation. He was incredible at the end, as good as he's ever been. But he took his sweet time getting there.

I'll take 24 for 42 for 300 yards and three TDs with no INTs any day of the week. If that was mediocre, give me mediocre every time.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was apparent given our conversation, but by "end of the game," I was referring to the final two drives. Smith went 8/10 for 163 yards and two TDs in those drives. For the rest of the game, he was 16/32 for 137 yards with two TDs, four sacks, and a lost fumble. Those are mediocre numbers, and as said above, if we hadn't had the two 4th quarter drives, the story would have been about how Smith choked.

Just a reminder, here's what you said earlier in this thread:

Two drives? You are not really that dumb are you? Watch the game again. he started out hot, led them to score after score and then played a huge part in the 4th quarter to seal the victory. to seal the victory.

See, that part in the middle is just wrong. You can make a reasonable argument that Smith started out hot. After taking a strip sack to end the first drive, he threw a nice 49-yard TD pass to Davis in the second drive, hitting him in stride to facilitate the 32 yards of YAC. And after the team got the ball on the NO 4, he then threw a pretty good slant pass to Crabtree for another TD. Smith then had a great 4th quarter, no argument here. But claiming he "led" the team to score after score in between is outrageous. In the 41:33 that passed between the TD pass to Crabtree and the two 4th quarter drives, he went 10/26 for 58 yards. Let's look at those scoring drives he led:

Niners start at the NO 13. Smith goes 1/2 for 4 yards. Akers kicks a FG.

Niners start at the NO 26. Smith goes 0/2 Akers kicks a FG.

Niners start at their 36. Smith goes 1/1 for -1 yard. Gore had a 42-yard run and Dixon had an 18-yard run. Akers kicks a FG.

Smith "led" to the tune of three yards COMBINED on five attempts.

I have been one of Smith's biggest supporters since the ESPN boards, and that game will always be (one of?) his signature win, but there's just no doubt that his poor play in the second, third and most of the fourth quarter allowed the Saints hang around.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take 24 for 42 for 300 yards and three TDs with no INTs any day of the week. If that was mediocre, give me mediocre every time.

I thought it was apparent given our conversation, but by "end of the game," I was referring to the final two drives. Smith went 8/10 for 163 yards and two TDs in those drives. For the rest of the game, he was 16/32 for 137 yards with two TDs, four sacks, and a lost fumble. Those are mediocre numbers, and as said above, if we hadn't had the two 4th quarter drives, the story would have been about how Smith choked.

Just a reminder, here's what you said earlier in this thread:

Two drives? You are not really that dumb are you? Watch the game again. he started out hot, led them to score after score and then played a huge part in the 4th quarter to seal the victory. to seal the victory.

See, that part in the middle is just wrong. You can make a reasonable argument that Smith started out hot. After taking a strip sack to end the first drive, he threw a nice 49-yard TD pass to Davis in the second drive, hitting him in stride to facilitate the 32 yards of YAC. And after the team got the ball on the NO 4, he then threw a pretty good slant pass to Crabtree for another TD. Smith then had a great 4th quarter, no argument here. But claiming he "led" the team to score after score in between is outrageous. In the 41:33 that passed between the TD pass to Crabtree and the two 4th quarter drives, he went 10/26 for 58 yards. Let's look at those scoring drives he led:

Niners start at the NO 13. Smith goes 1/2 for 4 yards. Akers kicks a FG.

Niners start at the NO 26. Smith goes 0/2 Akers kicks a FG.

Niners start at their 36. Smith goes 1/1 for -1 yard. Gore had a 42-yard run and Dixon had an 18-yard run. Akers kicks a FG.

Smith "led" to the tune of three yards COMBINED on five attempts.

I have been one of Smith's biggest supporters since the ESPN boards, and that game will always be (one of?) his signature win, but there's just no doubt that his poor play in the second, third and most of the fourth quarter allowed the Saints hang around.[/QUOTE]

I remember. And I was one of the biggest haters. He has grown on me some though.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobody remembers the mediocre 3 quarters if u win in the 4th and play great...