• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Warriors let Kevin Durant walk?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll offer him every penny they can and they would be crazy not to. He'd also be crazy if he turned them down, imo.

They can always find 2nd and 3rd tier guys who want a shot at a title if he doesn't stay.
They can sign KD because they have his Bird rights, but if he leaves and they max Klay I don't think they have room to add much else.

Either KD stays or they are just another very good team, no longer the favorites. I feel like this is the last hurrah so I'm going to enjoy it aa much as I can

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Durant walks, well even if he doesn't, the Warriors are going to max Klay. His cap hold is so high that even if Durant walks, his cap space doesn't become open. The Warriors will still be very close, if not over the actual salary cap.
This is the problem for GS. Even though it may have cost them the title this season(maybe), it might not have been a bad to trade him at the deadline. There's no telling what teams might have given up for KD even on a half season rental, because he would give nearly any team in the NBA a shot at the title. We certainly know what the Lakers would have offered

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can sign KD because they have his Bird rights, but if he leaves and they max Klay I don't think they have room to add much else.

Either KD stays or they are just another very good team, no longer the favorites. I feel like this is the last hurrah so I'm going to enjoy it aa much as I can

End of the day, that's all you can do. It's funny though. It can feel like it's going to last forever. lol

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, I'll be completely shocked if he comes to the Lakers. If he leaves, it'll be to go somewhere and be the leader.

It'll be interesting to see what he does, especially if the Warriors win the title again. I'd have to think that it would be hard to walk away from the chance at a 4-peat.

I think he's already made the decision to leave, just like Kyrie. The only question is are they pairing up?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
End of the day, that's all you can do. It's funny though. It can feel like it's going to last forever. lol
Definitely never felt that way for me on this run
Learned my lesson with the Giants

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the problem for GS. Even though it may have cost them the title this season(maybe), it might not have been a bad to trade him at the deadline. There's no telling what teams might have given up for KD even on a half season rental, because he would give nearly any team in the NBA a shot at the title. We certainly know what the Lakers would have offered

Here's the thing. There's trying to get value back for a player who you think is on the fence about coming back to your team. BUT, there's also league perception of what transpires in trading KD.

It's not a good look for the Warriors to try to move a top 5 NBA player, when they're the front runners for the NBA championship. Also the organization has been considered one of the best in the league from a front office perspective and treating the situation like a business decision (while it is one) sends a bad message imo. Further, if Durant bolts, this might be the last time the Warriors are the #1 title favotires for a long time. They may be in the top tier playoff picture, but let's be honest if the Warriors have just Steph, Klay and Draymond next year, I don't think they go into the season as the #1 overall team.

So I think you have to roll the dice on keeping Durant and trying to go for the Championship. The Championship is really the ends. Warriors can always figure ways out to rebuild (Giannis 2021).

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. It could also be that he's just waiting for the playoffs. The Warriors are at a point where the regular season doesn't mean much to them. It's all about getting to the playoffs rested and healthy.

Yeah but almost any Warriors fan can pick out multiple times this season where Durant has looked uninterested and his body language is poor. He slumps his shoulders when he didn't get passed the ball when in previous season that wasn't an issue. He's taken more vocal role in telling guys to actively pass him the ball during games, like clapping for it, etc. That didn't happen the two previous years.

Granted the Warriors as a whole have looked disinterested, but that's not the main takeaway I have with Durant. It's his on-court demeanor that has seemed to change. It's just different.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how long he stays he will never have as many titles as the guys who are there and built that franchise. His ego isn't getting any smaller. He gone.

The more I think about it, ego definitely has something to do with it. Underrated aspect of the team dynamic is that KD, no matter what he does, no matter how many finals MVP's he wins, he's not the guy that's loved on the team. That's Steph. The team is Steph's and always will be in the eyes of the fan. Durant won't get the MVP chants at the line, even if he's having a better season than Steph. Those are reserved only for Steph.

You know that's got to weigh on him at least a little bit.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of statements in there to drum up past thoughts.

"You lose them how you catch them" immediately comes to mind when I think about Durant's situation. LOL.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he moves on this summer. I think he goes to the Knicks.