• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Warriors let Kevin Durant walk?

SideSwipe52

The Franchise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD has helped the Warriors win 2 NBA titles, since he came to Golden State. This year, things have turbulent at times and small signs of dissension in the ranks. Is it time for a change and a fresh start for KD. At the end of the season should Golden State let KD walk, and not resign him with a new restructured contract if he opts out of his current contract? What say you SportsHoopla?

kevin-durant-golden-state-warriors-vs-chicago-bulls-nba-17012018_sq1p67055xvu1l9mvoltf6elj.jpg

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're talking from Golden State's perspective...

Heck No!!!!

... is the only sensible answer to that question.

He's a top 3 player in the NBA (at least)... an organization never just lets a guy like that "walk".

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they shouldn't and I doubt they will.

Having said that, it may not be their choice. He's getting a max deal wherever he goes and may want to go someplace else.

SideSwipe52

The Franchise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Having said that, it may not be their choice. He's getting a max deal wherever he goes and may want to go someplace else.

If that is the case, I would hate to see the Warriors break the bank to try and resign him. They can use the some money that he may ask for and get two solid players that can help fill the void of losing him and still have money to spend. They still have other core players they still need to take care of.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely not the Warriors choice. Every year, including this upcoming one, the Warriors have told Durant basically they will do whatever he wants in terms of a deal.

Durant has honestly been playing all year like he has a foot out of the door. There's a small skeptical part of me that makes me believe that it'll be easier for Durant to walk if the Warriors lose this year. It'll be much harder for him to walk away from a 3-peat to go for 4. Durant for as great as he is seems to be going through the motions. He's playing relatively little defense, especially compared to last year. He seems to be more miserable than ever on a team with title aspirations. Just watch his body language in games. It's crazy.

Durant imo is probably 80% gone. 10% he stays if the Warriors win and he wants to chase a 4-peat. 10% if he wants to stay because of financial reasons including marketing in the new Chase arena opening new year.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is the case, I would hate to see the Warriors break the bank to try and resign him. They can use the some money that he may ask for and get two solid players that can help fill the void of losing him and still have money to spend. They still have other core players they still need to take care of.

If Durant walks, well even if he doesn't, the Warriors are going to max Klay. His cap hold is so high that even if Durant walks, his cap space doesn't become open. The Warriors will still be very close, if not over the actual salary cap.

SideSwipe52

The Franchise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he needs a new challenge, venue. He may be bored, he has two championships, no doubt he wants to get paid. Maybe he could go to the Eastern Conference and try to lead a team to the NBA finals and win a title or two.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't want to be here so they have no choice. He served his purpose while he was here and was an integral part of two championship teams.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how long he stays he will never have as many titles as the guys who are there and built that franchise. His ego isn't getting any smaller. He gone.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely not the Warriors choice. Every year, including this upcoming one, the Warriors have told Durant basically they will do whatever he wants in terms of a deal.

Durant has honestly been playing all year like he has a foot out of the door. There's a small skeptical part of me that makes me believe that it'll be easier for Durant to walk if the Warriors lose this year. It'll be much harder for him to walk away from a 3-peat to go for 4. Durant for as great as he is seems to be going through the motions. He's playing relatively little defense, especially compared to last year. He seems to be more miserable than ever on a team with title aspirations. Just watch his body language in games. It's crazy.

Durant imo is probably 80% gone. 10% he stays if the Warriors win and he wants to chase a 4-peat. 10% if he wants to stay because of financial reasons including marketing in the new Chase arena opening new year.

Lots of statements in there to drum up past thoughts.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They'll offer him every penny they can and they would be crazy not to. He'd also be crazy if he turned them down, imo.

They can always find 2nd and 3rd tier guys who want a shot at a title if he doesn't stay.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe. It could also be that he's just waiting for the playoffs. The Warriors are at a point where the regular season doesn't mean much to them. It's all about getting to the playoffs rested and healthy.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how long he stays he will never have as many titles as the guys who are there and built that franchise. His ego isn't getting any smaller. He gone.
So, he's leaving the easy road to try to build his own title team. Isn't that sort of the opposite of what he did coming to the Warriors?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. It could also be that he's just waiting for the playoffs. The Warriors are at a point where the regular season doesn't mean much to them. It's all about getting to the playoffs rested and healthy.
I think it's both. The whole team should play better in the playoffs, but also Durant is likely leaving and may have already decided

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's both. The whole team should play better in the playoffs, but also Durant is likely leaving and may have already decided

I hope he doesn't.

Edit: I hope he comes to the Lakers. If he doesn't, I hope he stays put.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, that wouldn't surprise me. You might be able to throw in Jimmy Butler in that mix as well.

Well, no you can't, unless it's only 2 of the 3 (or someone takes a paycut). Salary cap limits and all. The Knicks will have, at most, $72M in cap space, and that's only if they don't want to retain Jordan, Mudiay, Hezonja, Kornet, or Vonleh. I believe max deals for all three of Durant/Kyrie/Butler would require $100M+.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he doesn't.

Edit: I hope he comes to the Lakers. If he doesn't, I hope he stays put.

I think he wants to be lead dog, which means somewhere else (like NY or Brooklyn, maybe Dallas?). Dallas could be really interesting, with Doncic and Porzingis, but would only leave about $35M for him to sign unless they can offload more salary (Hardaway or Lee ideally).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he wants to be lead dog, which means somewhere else (like NY or Brooklyn, maybe Dallas?). Dallas could be really interesting, with Doncic and Porzingis, but would only leave about $35M for him to sign unless they can offload more salary (Hardaway or Lee ideally).

Oh yeah, I'll be completely shocked if he comes to the Lakers. If he leaves, it'll be to go somewhere and be the leader.

It'll be interesting to see what he does, especially if the Warriors win the title again. I'd have to think that it would be hard to walk away from the chance at a 4-peat.