• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Short Game Corner

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things short game go.

Anybody can answer, but I'm hopeful Toby, SFNL, et al some of the better games chime in.

With 10+ paces (each step for me is about 3' so I refer to measurements in paces) of green or more to pin and nothing to carry but fringe, with how would you play the shot?

Uphill?

Downhill?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things short game go.

Anybody can answer, but I'm hopeful Toby, SFNL, et al some of the better games chime in.

With 10+ paces (each step for me is about 3' so I refer to measurements in paces) of green or more to pin and nothing to carry but fringe, with how would you play the shot?

Uphill?

Downhill?

How much fringe? If a short amount of fringe, say 2 feet, I'd putt it every time. Even if you do decide to chip, I'd try to get it running like a putt as soon as possible. Its much easier to get it close doing that in my opinion.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much fringe? If a short amount of fringe, say 2 feet, I'd putt it every time. Even if you do decide to chip, I'd try to get it running like a putt as soon as possible. Its much easier to get it close doing that in my opinion.

2 or 3 ft of fringe...in some case when you miss short and you can have 10 ft of fringe then 30' to a back pin.

So you would bump-n-run with as little loft as possible whether it is uphill or downhill.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 or 3 ft of fringe...in some case when you miss short and you can have 10 ft of fringe then 30' to a back pin.

So you would bump-n-run with as little loft as possible whether it is uphill or downhill.

Yes. I prefer to get it rolling as soon as possible. Its much easier to judge and to control. What I don't do though is use different clubs for different types of chipping like some folks do. I use the same club, my utility wedge, and I either add or detract loft by ball and hand position. However, if that fringe is smooth, I'll putt from 30 feet off the green. That is just me; lots of other ways to do it. For me, I have supreme confidence in my putting but not as much with chipping.

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATL, it really depends on the situation and how comfortable you are with your short game. For me uphill, I would do the bump and run with a 9 iron while landing the ball on the fringe. Downhill I would putt or use a SW with a putting stroke. This will create backspin and the ball to check while slowing it down. If the greens are slow, I would use a SW and drop is within 2 feet of the hole and let it roll.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree depending on the up or down.. if down pick what you can get the most back spin on if up the bump and run is probably the best way to go.. though im not great at hitting shots.. i normally can figure out what to do.. my execution blows..

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATL, it really depends on the situation and how comfortable you are with your short game. For me uphill, I would do the bump and run with a 9 iron while landing the ball on the fringe. Downhill I would putt or use a SW with a putting stroke. This will create backspin and the ball to check while slowing it down. If the greens are slow, I would use a SW and drop is within 2 feet of the hole and let it roll.

Uphill...I'm pretty comfortable 8i or 9i depending on the lie and getting inside 4' most of the time.

Downhill...especially with a tier to navigate...I'm struggling with the same bump-n-run type of shot mostly too long...last round I used a GW on the one chance I had...about 9' so not great...I need to work on that shot that checks and rolls out.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree depending on the up or down.. if down pick what you can get the most back spin on if up the bump and run is probably the best way to go.. though im not great at hitting shots.. i normally can figure out what to do.. my execution blows..

lol...that's my thinking...the easiest shot to execute is the bump-n-run but I'm finding is not always the best way to get it close.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't do though is use different clubs for different types of chipping like some folks do. I use the same club, my utility wedge, and I either add or detract loft by ball and hand position.

I'm starting pare down on clubs now around the green as well.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting pare down on clubs now around the green as well.

Work a little with your utility wedge around the green as long as it doesn't have a lot of bounce on the bottom of the clubhead. With shaft lean and ball position, as long as you keep your weight forward, that club is very versatile.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Work a little with your utility wedge around the green as long as it doesn't have a lot of bounce on the bottom of the clubhead. With shaft lean and ball position, as long as you keep your weight forward, that club is very versatile.

great tip .. i for some reason alway tend to lean back with my weight too far behind.. one of my short commings i guess.. moving the weight forward tends to get me thinking ive over compensated

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is a utility a 48 or 49 deg?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great tip .. i for some reason alway tend to lean back with my weight too far behind.. one of my short commings i guess.. moving the weight forward tends to get me thinking ive over compensated

Try starting with the weight forward and leaving it there. Maybe 65-35. You don't have to worry about weight transfer that way. You'll get a much cleaner hit and you will never chili dip it.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay...I have a 52. I don't hit bunker shots with it, but I use it more than any other.

Good idea. You don't want to be hitting bunker shots with a wedge that has no bounce in it.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill give it a shot Toby, thanks.. ill let you know how it works out..

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am comfortable with my PW in most cases from that range, but if the fringe is short enough I will go flat stick, typically that is not the case on most FL courses, right now esp. I think weight forward is most comfortable and loft or deloft by ball position.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the opportunity I always putt. I'm very good with the PW but lethal with the putter. As someone stated earlier, if you do chip I generally go with a bump and run with my logic being it gives you a better chance of actually making it as opposed to simply setting yourself up for your next putt.