• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shohei Ohtani Contract

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right on cue, UCL tear.

The Angels were too stupid to trade him when they had a chance. Now he is going to walk for nothing without giving them any production in the postseason that they were delusional enough to think that they could make.
He is still available to hit.

But this decimates his FA value.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is will he be able to hit next year if surgery is needed.
For hitting, the recovery time for TJ is approx 6 months. But I have no idea if that is adjusted for someone who will be PTing with the intention of pitching.

To me, it just reminds teams that with him, you are putting 2 baskets worth of eggs in a single basket. Double the chance that something goes wrong and the investment is lost.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For hitting, the recovery time for TJ is approx 6 months. But I have no idea if that is adjusted for someone who will be PTing with the intention of pitching.

To me, it just reminds teams that with him, you are putting 2 baskets worth of eggs in a single basket. Double the chance that something goes wrong and the investment is lost.

Yup on both counts.

Harper obviously came back to hit but not by beginning of season and it clearly bothered his hitting for a while so that was def part of my curiousity. Then as you said, needing to rehab as a pitcher may also impact that.

And yup just like I said yesterday, its going to be such a risky contract because unfortunately theres a chance you are paying historic money for a DH. I guess good news for whoever gets him now is that payment will be down slightly.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup on both counts.

Harper obviously came back to hit but not by beginning of season and it clearly bothered his hitting for a while so that was def part of my curiousity. Then as you said, needing to rehab as a pitcher may also impact that.

And yup just like I said yesterday, its going to be such a risky contract because unfortunately theres a chance you are paying historic money for a DH. I guess good news for whoever gets him now is that payment will be down slightly.
I suspect when/if he gives up pitching he can play left field or first base, dude's pretty big and athletic

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup on both counts.

But anyone signs him for a 10 year deal knew he would be a DH by the end of it. He will still be worth every penny of the contract he wanted pre UCL

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

I just realized something.

In order for the Angels to get any compensation for him, they need to offer him a QO.

So what if he accepts the QO? Then he rehabs all year on the Angels dime, then leaves to his desired destination with no down time or compensation still on the table,

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

In order for the Angels to get any compensation for him, they need to offer him a QO.

So what if he accepts the QO? Then he rehabs all year on the Angels dime, then leaves to his desired destination with no down time or compensation still on the table,
Wait, so you're saying the Angels front office made a bad decision?

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

That would be a pretty dirty thing to do, but I think he owes them that considering they kept him when it was plain for anyone to see that the team wasn't going anywhere.

Even if he got injured while pitching for his new team, at least that team would be in playoff contention and his hitting talent wouldn't be wasted on this death march.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

Well he’d be retarded to sign a QO. Rehab on the Angels dime or sign for more money and more years somewhere else?

Angels really destroyed their future by not trading him along with “going for it”.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I do find a bit funny is all over the web since Ohtani got hurt people are talking about how dumb the Angels are and they really screwed themselves.

The injury has nothing to do with that. They screwed themselves on August 1st.

Ohtani is now in a unfortunate spot where he will likely get less money. But regardless what happened to his elbow the Angels already were 100% royally fucked.

Just an all time stupid franchise.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I do find a bit funny is all over the web since Ohtani got hurt people are talking about how dumb the Angels are and they really screwed themselves.

The injury has nothing to do with that. They screwed themselves on August 1st.

Ohtani is now in a unfortunate spot where he will likely get less money. But regardless what happened to his elbow the Angels already were 100% royally fucked.

Just an all time stupid franchise.
When a Twolves fan says that it's pretty harsh lol

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohtani has hit the 10 WAR threshold.

It is pretty fitting that the four players with 10 WAR seasons in this generation are Trout/Judge/Ohtani/Betts.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohtani has hit the 10 WAR threshold.

It is pretty fitting that the four players with 10 WAR seasons in this generation are Trout/Judge/Ohtani/Betts.
And sad that 2 of the 4 were teammates that never got to the postseason together