• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shohei Ohtani Contract

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ichiro forged a nearly equally inept path of winning as the Angels currently have.

Hed forge his own path by just consistently getting the Ms to the playoffs

To blame Ichiro for the Mariners' failures during his time there is unfair. That was such a poorly run team for years. Their prospects rarely panned out and their free agents weren't much better. He was one of the only reasons to watch them. His loyalty and not trying to get out while he was in his prime was his biggest downfall.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To blame Ichiro for the Mariners' failures during his time there is unfair. That was such a poorly run team for years. Their prospects rarely panned out and their free agents weren't much better. He was one of the only reasons to watch them. His loyalty and not trying to get out while he was in his prime was his biggest downfall.

Im not blaming Ichiro at all.

Just saying its fucking mental to act like theres no path to pave as a Jap with the mariners.

They blew ass every year but his rookie year and still choked that year. Lot of legacy to build.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the Angels stupid?

Is_Water_Wet_6_3704x.jpg

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things can be true at once, the organization is run poorly and Ichiro being toxic in the clubhouse can also hold responsibility.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things can be true at once, the organization is run poorly and Ichiro being toxic in the clubhouse can also hold responsibility.

You would know better than me, but was that the case? I never saw Ichiro as anyone who wanted to come in and work his ass off. But again, you obviously follow more closely than me.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the Angels stupid?
Yes, yes they are.

Going to lose the greatest generational talent for next to nothing all because the owner is greedy and just wants more money.

If he was really concerned about winning, he would’ve traded Ohtani last season for a tremendous package.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About the only team Ohtani would want to be traded to is the Dodgers. They are perennially in the playoffs and that's what he has said is important to him.
I don't think Arte wants to trade with the Dodgers, especially not for his biggest talent. Maybe he could do what the Yankees did with Chapman and get a good, but not fabulous haul for him, and re-sign him in the next off season?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would know better than me, but was that the case? I never saw Ichiro as anyone who wanted to come in and work his ass off. But again, you obviously follow more closely than me.
He is a weird dude, cause he worked his ass off. No one really knows why he was toxic inside the clubhouse. From a fans perspective he became more disliked the worse the team got. There was a pissing match with him and Mike Hargrove about having “their guys” fired and it ended up with Hargrove quitting. Ichiro supposedly refused moving to CF which led to Shin Soo Choo being traded, then he decided to which led to the Adam Jones trade. So two of the least popular trades during a shitty time for Mariners fans where he was basically the theme.

Not sure if it the water in Seattle or whatever but he was Russell Wilson before Russell Wilson.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My team sucks, but I will take a minute to laugh at the dumpster fire that is the angels. They could have gotten 4 - 6 players and a bevy of picks, hell I would have traded Trout for another group of players and picks and in 3 to 5 been a damn good young team. Instead, Ohtani will leave and they get zero for him and Trout will after this contract as well.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My team sucks, but I will take a minute to laugh at the dumpster fire that is the angels. They could have gotten 4 - 6 players and a bevy of picks, hell I would have traded Trout for another group of players and picks and in 3 to 5 been a damn good young team. Instead, Ohtani will leave and they get zero for him and Trout will after this contract as well.
Eh, Trout will be retiring before signing another deal.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever pays this guy is gonna have to do it with the exception that at some point probably soon hes gonna be hitter only sadly.

He leaves every fucking start early with some sort of injury issue.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever pays this guy is gonna have to do it with the exception that at some point probably soon hes gonna be hitter only sadly.

He leaves every fucking start early with some sort of injury issue.

Yeah, he's far more likely to suffer a pitching injury.

And while he's been a great hitter at the MLB level, this is his first year hitting at a historic level (182 OPS+). He's only got two full seasons with an OPS+ north of 150 (2021 and 2023), he had a 151 OPS+ in 2018 but that was only 104 games. Given what he'll very likely be getting paid, he'd need to hit at a historically good level to ne worth the money if he's strictly a hitter.

Wonder if a team would move him to 1st or the outfield if he gives up pitching?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's far more likely to suffer a pitching injury.

And while he's been a great hitter at the MLB level, this is his first year hitting at a historic level (182 OPS+). He's only got two full seasons with an OPS+ north of 150 (2021 and 2023), he had a 151 OPS+ in 2018 but that was only 104 games. Given what he'll very likely be getting paid, he'd need to hit at a historically good level to ne worth the money if he's strictly a hitter.

Wonder if a team would move him to 1st or the outfield if he gives up pitching?

Yeah Im very curious how to goes and what teams do. Basically have to find a good way to monitor his innings. But that isnt some super easy thing to do. Cant just have him pitch every 10 days. I feel like that would be bad for an arm too and mess with your whole staff.

I feel like if he did stop pitching anytime soon youd have to have him try to play D but even then hed have to do it well and still steal bags. With the type of money hes gonna get I dont know how valuable it would be to a roster if he was strictly DH even if he challenged early 2000s Bonds type of numbers

Obviously I hope he stays a healthy pitcher but its officially worisome if itll be a thing in 2-3 years.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3