• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sherman

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does Richard Sherman fear you guys? He's not the player he once was... Plus, who knows, he may lose another step following this injury... He took a step back this season even prior to his injury... Teams weren't afraid to throw at him anymore, resulting in a lot more receptions from the opposing receiver...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does Richard Sherman fear you guys? He's not the player he once was... Plus, who knows, he may lose another step following this injury... He took a step back this season even prior to his injury... Teams weren't afraid to throw at him anymore, resulting in a lot more receptions from the opposing receiver...

But it is possible he can come back healthy and ready to go, evidently that injury was nagging him for a while, so now that it's fixed he could come back strong, maybe ... I guess time will tell...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree... I'm not ready to spell doom-and-gloom just yet for this team... Our defense will still be good enough to keep us in games, imo... I also believe our offense will take a big step forward to help with the gap left by the defense dude to cuts/trades on that side of the ball... SB caliber team? Probably not but I still think we'll be competitive...

I agree. Don't forget, the Hawks could have made the playoffs with a half descent FG kicker with all the injuries that piled up. They'll be competitive and maybe just shock some people.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing the Niners just signed Sherman to a 3 year deal ...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge surprise, especially since he played college ball at Stanford. Should be interesting to see the Hawks play against him twice a year.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious... Just how good have Defensive Backs, under Pete Carroll regime, done when they left Seattle? They were all a product of the system... I don't see Sherman being as productive... He will be a shell of his former self in SF imo...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious... Just how good have Defensive Backs, under Pete Carroll regime, done when they left Seattle? They were all a product of the system... I don't see Sherman being as productive... He will be a shell of his former self in SF imo...

I'm not sure about a shell. I think the Seahawks defense as a whole made other corners look better than they were and Sherman was a very big part of that. It does remain to be seen how he recovers from the achilles injury however. He wasn't as dominant the last couple years as he had been, but he was still an elite cornerback. $13M is pretty pricey for someone with an injury like that. We'll see I suppose.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge gamble by the 49ers, signing an injured player who can't pass a physical to a huge dollar contract. Maybe he becomes his former self, maybe he has lost some of his ability. A gamble the Seahawks would not take. Good teams don't take chances

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame him for getting his money, sucks it had to be with the 49ers, but I get his cashing in at this point in his career. That being said, the Hawks took a big step forward in staying relevant. Shaun Alexander should be a similar comp in how these types of deals typically work out, and I'm not ready for a Jim Mora type of season while Pete is still in charge. If we can retain Earl and even someone like Dion Jordan for the money saved letting Sherman go we will be better for it. The LOB's ship has sailed, and what a ride it was.......thank you 25!

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does going to the 49ers considered to be "wanting to go to a contender"? Hawks are taking a step back with all the changes, so it's hard to tell what this team will be like but I think they are still a legit NFCW contender and the Rams are still the NFCW Champs and may even be a SB contender next year.

Jimmy G was great for the 9ers but he still has a lot of prove and it's hard for me to consider the 49ers as a legitimate contender.

Either way, can't blame him for taking the $$$.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame him for getting his money, sucks it had to be with the 49ers, but I get his cashing in at this point in his career. That being said, the Hawks took a big step forward in staying relevant. Shaun Alexander should be a similar comp in how these types of deals typically work out, and I'm not ready for a Jim Mora type of season while Pete is still in charge. If we can retain Earl and even someone like Dion Jordan for the money saved letting Sherman go we will be better for it. The LOB's ship has sailed, and what a ride it was.......thank you 25!

He might have gotten a lot of money going to San Francisco, but I don't think this was purely a money grab situation. For one thing, he's going back relatively close to home. I know he grew up a lot closer to LA than the Bay Area, but he went to college in the Bay Area, so he's going home no matter how you look at it. He might have also viewed the 49ers as a team on the rise. Or maybe he thinks they're contenders now that they appear to have found their franchise QB. We don't know what Lynch told him about their plans going forward. Maybe he said something that convinced Sherman that they'd be contenders sooner rather than later. He probably would have had a better shot at contending immediately by going to a team like New England or Jacksonville or Philly, but had he gone to any of those teams, it might have been seen as playing it safe by going to a team that is already primed and loaded to win now.

Or I could be talking out of my ass and he just went there for the money he would have gotten here if the Hawks had the cap space to keep him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge gamble by the 49ers, signing an injured player who can't pass a physical to a huge dollar contract. Maybe he becomes his former self, maybe he has lost some of his ability. A gamble the Seahawks would not take. Good teams don't take chances

I would disagree with this. Good teams have to take chances and hope they pan out. The Eagles this past year took a risk and signed Alshon Jeffrey who hadn't hardly been healthy for quite some time. He ripped up the Patriots in the Super Bowl. They took a chance on a backup QB that was thinking of retiring in Foles. When you guys won your Super Bowl the Seahawks went out and spent some money on some pass rushers in the hopes they would really revitalize their career with the Seahawks. Again paid off big time.

For the Broncos they took a chance on Manning when he couldn't throw further than 10 yards and signed him to a big deal. They then signed trouble maker Talib and injury prone Ware to the roster. Turned out to be huge signings that will go down as some of the best in the franchise.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate all the good years and classic plays he gave us. I wish him well on his injury comeback but I can't wish his team any success. Damn 9ers anyways!

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might have gotten a lot of money going to San Francisco, but I don't think this was purely a money grab situation. For one thing, he's going back relatively close to home. I know he grew up a lot closer to LA than the Bay Area, but he went to college in the Bay Area, so he's going home no matter how you look at it. He might have also viewed the 49ers as a team on the rise. Or maybe he thinks they're contenders now that they appear to have found their franchise QB. We don't know what Lynch told him about their plans going forward. Maybe he said something that convinced Sherman that they'd be contenders sooner rather than later. He probably would have had a better shot at contending immediately by going to a team like New England or Jacksonville or Philly, but had he gone to any of those teams, it might have been seen as playing it safe by going to a team that is already primed and loaded to win now.

Or I could be talking out of my ass and he just went there for the money he would have gotten here if the Hawks had the cap space to keep him.

The 49ers are also playing the same system defensively as Seattle so that could have played a part in it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The report of three years, $39 million for Richard Sherman may be “a mirage”

Basically if he wants to see all of that money he has to be on the field and play at a pro bowl level.

So if he plays at a high level he gets paid and if he sucks the 9ers aren't out a lot.

Here's the breakdown in your link:

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media has since posted the breakdown for the first year: $5 million signing bonus, $2 million base salary (there’s no mention as to whether it’s guaranteed, but as a practical matter it most likely is), $2 million in 46-man per-game roster bonuses, $1 million playing-time incentives, and a $3 million Pro Bowl incentive. (One source cautions that the “Pro Bowl” incentive may be an “All-Pro” incentive, which is harder to achieve since only two are selected for the entire league.)

So if I read this correctly if he only plays one year he gets the 5 mil signing bonus, 2 mil base salary 2 mil for making the 46-man roster...which is 9 million and not sure about the 1 mil playing time bonus, if he plays he'll probably get that, so 10 million even if he plays badly. 10 million seem like a lot to be out of.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the breakdown in your link:

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media has since posted the breakdown for the first year: $5 million signing bonus, $2 million base salary (there’s no mention as to whether it’s guaranteed, but as a practical matter it most likely is), $2 million in 46-man per-game roster bonuses, $1 million playing-time incentives, and a $3 million Pro Bowl incentive. (One source cautions that the “Pro Bowl” incentive may be an “All-Pro” incentive, which is harder to achieve since only two are selected for the entire league.)

So if I read this correctly if he only plays one year he gets the 5 mil signing bonus, 2 mil base salary 2 mil for making the 46-man roster...which is 9 million and not sure about the 1 mil playing time bonus, if he plays he'll probably get that, so 10 million even if he plays badly. 10 million seem like a lot to be out of.

Sportrac also has Sherman's Pro Bowl incentive to be that if he makes the pro bowl in 2018 - then $16 million of his remaining contract for 2019 & 2020 becomes guaranteed.