• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shane Ray busted for weed 3 days before draft.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now Ray only has the 2nd worst off the field issue working against him in the days leading up to the draft.

Shefter is reporting that police want to question La'el Collins in the shooting death of his pregnant girlfriend.

Wow. Even if I knew the kid was innocent, I am not going to have to try and explain that away to the media on draft day if I am a GM in the wake of the Hernandez trial.
It would be one thing if Collins was a suspect but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's more like a tragedy for him at this point.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now Ray only has the 2nd worst off the field issue working against him in the days leading up to the draft.

Shefter is reporting that police want to question La'el Collins in the shooting death of his pregnant girlfriend.

Wow. Even if I knew the kid was innocent, I am not going to have to try and explain that away to the media on draft day if I am a GM in the wake of the Hernandez trial.
yep...some prejudge and pronounce guilt by association and thankfully some don't

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now he is like Gregory but a harder scheme fit.

Unlike Gregory he played with his hand in the dirt in college he even played some 3 tech DT he can play 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB in the NFL and his pass rushing skills are far better than Gregory. Gregory is a Dion Jordan/Aaron Maybin clone doomed to be a bust.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has never been about the "weed" for me. Its about the decision. Your on the biggest job interview of your life and millions on the line, and you get busted for weed? Comeon man...It's illegal. period, end of discussion. If you can't hold off for a few months, then that's on you. I also read he failed a few tests while in college, not sure if true, but now he has rap for failing drug tests. Now teams question your off field behavior, and he may not have any issues, but its out there now. Like I said, its not about the "weed", its more than that.

this is the way GM's see it.

If he had residual weed in his system, from awhile back, they let it slide a little. But if it's from right around the combine/draft, it's about the JUDGEMENT exhibited by the player.

It's the most important moment of their professional lives, team is going to invest a lot of money in them, they need show the correct decision making skills.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, read comment by someone who attends the combines as a reporter.

Says to see these NFL GM's, etc. behavior at the hotel bar, is to see the massive hypocrisy of the league's leadership when it comes to substance abuse rules.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be one thing if Collins was a suspect but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's more like a tragedy for him at this point.

So why did he decline to speak to cops until after the draft? If I am truly innocent and this happens to my ex girlfriend who is pregnant, I talk to cops immediately. I go visit the kid, if it is his kid. I leave the draft and go get this taken care of. I think he handled this all wrong.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why did he decline to speak to cops until after the draft? If I am truly innocent and this happens to my ex girlfriend who is pregnant, I talk to cops immediately. I go visit the kid, if it is his kid. I leave the draft and go get this taken care of. I think he handled this all wrong.
Does it matter if he wasn't involved at all?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike Gregory he played with his hand in the dirt in college he even played some 3 tech DT he can play 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB in the NFL and his pass rushing skills are far better than Gregory. Gregory is a Dion Jordan/Aaron Maybin clone doomed to be a bust.
The truth. Gregory will still get drafted ahead of him, though, due to projected upside.

For people questioning Ray for smoking pot, he was actually found sober. He had pot on him. While stupid, its not 'braindead idiot' level of stupid. He was pulled over for driving in the fast lane when he didn't need to be in the fast lane.

I'll give our cops credit - they'll pull anyone over

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it matter if he wasn't involved at all?

It matters because right now, no one knows he wasn't involved at all, and chances are, they won't know by draft day. So his decision not to talk, and the way his lawyers have apparently tried to show he was not around the apartment at the time, suggest to me that this is not going away for him. He may not have done it, and he may not know who did it. But then again, teams will wonder, does he know?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really bad timing for Collins. Nobody is going to bet the farm on a RT. Well, the Rams might but I think they are locked in on WR

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amaricans are pretty much simpletons. We'd rather worry about pot, Kardasions ass or Jenners new vagina than anything of substance.
I wonder how Jenner got that vagina?
Oh, never mind, I guess the Kardashians have been selling them for years.....

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth. Gregory will still get drafted ahead of him, though, due to projected upside.

For people questioning Ray for smoking pot, he was actually found sober. He had pot on him. While stupid, its not 'braindead idiot' level of stupid. He was pulled over for driving in the fast lane when he didn't need to be in the fast lane.

I was fine with the weed. But going slow in the fast lane!?! If I am a GM, I take him off the board entirely! I'm not bringing another going slow in the fast lane guy into my community.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The police say "he's not a suspect" about everyone they want to question...especially if they are a suspect.

Aaron Hernandez not a suspect, but questioned in homicide probe | ProFootballTalk.

Until NFL gm's can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Collins wasn't involved, they have to take him off their board entirely. And can they do that in the next couple of days? We'll see I guess. If Collins is taken on Thursday, it will mean he has an absolutely air tight alibi.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should say that I have no idea if Collins is involved or not. I am just saying that his draft status is a huge question mark now.

Even if NFL teams can prove between now and the draft that he is 100% innocent of any charges, do teams really want the bad press that would come with drafting a guy in his situation with the Hernandez case so fresh in everyone's mind? No GM wants the headline from the first day of the draft to be that he drafted a guy wanted for questioning in a murder investigation.

Sucks for Collins but that is just the reality of it now.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anyone black you mean?

How the fuck did they find weed if they were just giving him a ticket?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone black you mean?

How the fuck did they find weed if they were just giving him a ticket?
The highway patrol has a lot of good tactics

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These predraft issues are great IMO. Dallas will have their pick of degenerates: Peters, Ray, Gregory. Heck maybe we just go all in and grab DGB...

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These predraft issues are great IMO. Dallas will have their pick of degenerates: Peters, Ray, Gregory. Heck maybe we just go all in and grab DGB...

Dallas met their quota of degenerates by replacing McClain with Hardy. They will be drafting a squeaky clean guy in the 1st round this year. After that of course like most NFL teams, all bets are off as later in the draft the risk then becomes worth the possible reward.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas met their quota of degenerates by replacing McClain with Hardy. They will be drafting a squeaky clean guy in the 1st round this year. After that of course like most NFL teams, all bets are off as later in the draft the risk then becomes worth the possible reward.

?