• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Series With Rays Begins Among Trade Rumors July 21 - 23

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odor....HR

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure about trading with the cubbies again. Epstein has taken JD to the cleaners in both trades.
You almost always get taken to the cleaners when you are buying and especially when you insist on buying NL pitching.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s a belief among some rival evaluators that the Rangers will trade ace Yu Darvish by the July 31 deadline if they don’t believe they’ll be able to re-sign the impending free agent, reports Buster Olney of ESPN.com. With Texas unsure of whether it’ll be able to retain Darvish long term, there’s at least one starter-needy team waiting to make a move until it sees whether the Rangers shop him. Consequently, the possibility of a Darvish trade is affecting the market for starters and “muddying the waters” for the AL West rival Athletics in their quest to deal Sonny Gray, writes Olney.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s a belief among some rival evaluators that the Rangers will trade ace Yu Darvish by the July 31 deadline if they don’t believe they’ll be able to re-sign the impending free agent, reports Buster Olney of ESPN.com. With Texas unsure of whether it’ll be able to retain Darvish long term, there’s at least one starter-needy team waiting to make a move until it sees whether the Rangers shop him. Consequently, the possibility of a Darvish trade is affecting the market for starters and “muddying the waters” for the AL West rival Athletics in their quest to deal Sonny Gray, writes Olney.

We'd be foolish not to trade him if the team doesn't think they can resign him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think they would know by now.

I have a pretty good suspicion they know where they stand with him. But I also think the team is doing as much internal discussions as they can before committing $25 mil per + for 6/7 years.

Honestly, I just don't see that being a wise investment, especially with the rest of the team being what it is now.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a pretty good suspicion they know where they stand with him. But I also think the team is doing as much internal discussions as they can before committing $25 mil per + for 6/7 years.

Honestly, I just don't see that being a wise investment, especially with the rest of the team being what it is now.

Gotta agree. If they get an adequate return that could exceed any benefit we get from signing him to a long term deal.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nor do I. At 31 6/7 yr contract at that price is too much for this agant.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta agree. If they get an adequate return that could exceed any benefit we get from signing him to a long term deal.

If we were even semi rock solid with the overall team, and Darvish was the one piece we thought could put us over the top, then maybe you go for it, pay him, and pray the last 3 years or so don't hamstring ya.

But we don't know who's going to be at any of our OF positions for next season. Certainly will have another catcher, and a minimum of 5 new pitchers. We'll challenge no one next season at the very least.

I think we'll end up trading Napoli, Lucroy and Darvish pretty quick. And perhaps more.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were even semi rock solid with the overall team, and Darvish was the one piece we thought could put us over the top, then maybe you go for it, pay him, and pray the last 3 years or so don't hamstring ya.

But we don't know who's going to be at any of our OF positions for next season. Certainly will have another catcher, and a minimum of 5 new pitchers. We'll challenge no one next season at the very least.

I think we'll end up trading Napoli, Lucroy and Darvish pretty quick. And perhaps more.

If they're smart they'll put Gomez out there too.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Chirinos is injured, does this change anything in regards to trading Lucroy? It wouldn't for me.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roggie went down and golfed that one.

And Gomez does same.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly the Astros are now in on the Darvish trade talks, along with the Cubs and the Dodgers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we can't trade Darvish to the Astros we just can't. I know the situation isn't totally the same, but the best comparison I can come up with is the Cliff Lee trade that we made during the year of our first World Series run. We came very close to re-signing him and some people think we would have if we were able to beat the Giants. Re-signing him would have given us a better chance to repeat, since in hindsight, we were very close to winning the following World Series. He probably would've taken Matt Harrison's spot in the World Series rotation. Both of Harrison's starts were losses to the cardinals.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that by trading Darvish to the Astros we would be giving them a much better chance to win the World Series and re-sign him as a free agent. Unfortunately, it doesn't end there. We all know that Ohtani is still out there and that he's friends with / looks up to Darvish. If Darvish goes down to Houston and has the time of his life, he could get Ohtani to join him down there. We would be literally screwed for the next 10 years if the Astros had a rotation that started with Keuchel, Darvish, Ohtani, and McCullers.

The ideal trade partner is the Los Angeles dodgers. They have the perceived need to " get over the hump". These guys seem to win the NL west every single year, but they never make it to the World Series. Historically, the Dodgers are not an aggressive deadline team. They don't like to hurriedly trade prospects at the deadline. You'd argue that they don't want to waste Kershaw prime and they should be feeling a sense of urgency. They have really good prospects to give us, if they're ready to make a deal. I'm hoping to see him go to LA.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Darvish goes down to Houston and has the time of his life, he could get Ohtani to join him down there. We would be literally screwed for the next 10 years if the Astros had a rotation that started with Keuchel, Darvish, Ohtani, and McCullers.

One thing you're ignoring. Salaries.

They have a very affordable situation today, and next season. But shortly thereafter, all these excellent players who are playing for cheap, won't be. And some of them will be in other pastures.

And frankly, all this chatter about Ohtani being influenced by Darvish is nothing but a bunch of speculation from a bunch of talking-heads who are paid to do said speculation.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're smart they'll put Gomez out there too.

I should've added Choo to this list as well.

And before anyone starts laughing about Choo and what he might bring, I for one think it might be more than what some of you think.

Choo works the pitcher, hits for a decent avg, gets walks, runs better than he looks doing it, and would be a nice piece to add as a reserve OF, PH, DH.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we can't trade Darvish to the Astros we just can't. I know the situation isn't totally the same, but the best comparison I can come up with is the Cliff Lee trade that we made during the year of our first World Series run. We came very close to re-signing him and some people think we would have if we were able to beat the Giants. Re-signing him would have given us a better chance to repeat, since in hindsight, we were very close to winning the following World Series. He probably would've taken Matt Harrison's spot in the World Series rotation. Both of Harrison's starts were losses to the cardinals.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that by trading Darvish to the Astros we would be giving them a much better chance to win the World Series and re-sign him as a free agent. Unfortunately, it doesn't end there. We all know that Ohtani is still out there and that he's friends with / looks up to Darvish. If Darvish goes down to Houston and has the time of his life, he could get Ohtani to join him down there. We would be literally screwed for the next 10 years if the Astros had a rotation that started with Keuchel, Darvish, Ohtani, and McCullers.

The ideal trade partner is the Los Angeles dodgers. They have the perceived need to " get over the hump". These guys seem to win the NL west every single year, but they never make it to the World Series. Historically, the Dodgers are not an aggressive deadline team. They don't like to hurriedly trade prospects at the deadline. You'd argue that they don't want to waste Kershaw prime and they should be feeling a sense of urgency. They have really good prospects to give us, if they're ready to make a deal. I'm hoping to see him go to LA.

Your entire post is invalid because if we'd signed Lee we wouldn't have signed Beltre.