• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Self-Help Advice for Who-to-Start

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking for some assistance on this. It might turn it into a fantasy article, since so many seem to ask each week who to start. Just typing this up ad hoc...

Questions To Ask Yourself
Let me start by saying that if your relatively high draft pick is in the top 15 in scoring, then it's probably a good idea to roll with him regardless of the match-up.

As for the lower-tiered players that run hot and cold - First, look at each individual matchup. Don't necessarily think in terms of win-loss, but try to envision how the game may play out. For example, take Anquan Boldin. He plays Arizona in week 3.

Note that it is a divisional game. Those games can be more intense. It's also in Arizona. SF is also coming off a prime-time loss. These are factors you should consider when deciding on whether to start Boldin over another WR within his tier.

What Not To Do
Some leagues like ESPN (and perhaps Yahoo!) may give statistics on how many owners own a player, or how many are starting him. Don't pay attention to those numbers. They're interesting. But that's about all they are. Why? Well, we keep hearing how fantasy football is so popular, but so many owners are on a learning curve. And other owners don't pay attention and may become more apathetic as the season progresses. Still other owners are "followers" and do what they're told by "experts" or weekly sit-start rankings. Those usage numbers largely reflect these kind of owners!

Just went brain dead. Anyone care to contribute? Or rebuff?

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe, I'd love to contribute, but the more I give it thought, the harder I find it to our into words. Each and every case is dammed different its hard to make any guidelines, at least for me.

Like all your stuff though

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is probably off topic but I just talked to one of the guys in my goofball league and he told me ESPiN has Colston ranked higher than Cordy so he's gonna play Colston over Cordy. I told him that might be the play as Colston is due, but is that what you think is gonna happen. He says well, I really like Cordy a lot but when I change him out for Colston all of a sudden I'm projected to lose..............I said goodbye and hung up. Go with your gut first, get some advice on these boards, then put it together........you'll probably go with your original feeling in the end.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I was attempting to do was to get some fantasy owners to think for themselves. I struggle with some of the lower-tiered players too. I could ask for advice. I could read through several posts of (1) logical advice, (2) typical hyperbole, and (3) idiotic ramblings. (4) I could look at expert rankings.

But the way this game goes at times, the idiotic ramblings sometimes come out on top.

I look at these roster sit/start struggles this way: At some point, a fantasy owner needs to act like an "owner" and make the tough decisions. Been doing this over a dozen years. Back then I figured, might as well start doing it sooner, than later.

Or as Red said in The Shawshank Redemption: Get busy living or get busy dying.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly, when i ask for advice, i almost always go with my original gut feeling... I just hope someone convinces me that i am doing the right thing...

But sometimes, very rarely does someone make a point that convinces me to change my roster...

And i think i am not the only one here, we ask more to confirm than actually ask for help...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I was attempting to do was to get some fantasy owners to think for themselves. I struggle with some of the lower-tiered players too. I could ask for advice. I could read through several posts of (1) logical advice, (2) typical hyperbole, and (3) idiotic ramblings. (4) I could look at expert rankings.

But the way this game goes at times, the idiotic ramblings sometimes come out on top.

I look at these roster sit/start struggles this way: At some point, a fantasy owner needs to act like an "owner" and make the tough decisions. Been doing this over a dozen years. Back then I figured, might as well start doing it sooner, than later.

Or as Red said in The Shawshank Redemption: Get busy living or get busy dying.

This is a very insightful post. Nicely done.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the post Joe

when in doubt do like Foot....

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a very insightful post. Nicely done.

Thanks, guys.

I did think of some questions. But I'm still having a hard time taking the ideas lodged in my brain and transferring them articulately into printed form.

• Is there a key player visiting his former team? He has extra incentive. (Same goes for a coach visiting his former team? HC, DC or OC?)
  • Is this a divisional matchup? These games can be tight.
  • Are either of the teams coming off a humiliating loss?
  • Is one team trying to avenge a previous loss?
  • Might this game be a blowout? The losing team may need to pass more. The winning team may run more to keep the clock moving.
  • Might this be a close game? Close games generally focus on the run and short passes to minimize mistakes.
  • Is a west coast team traveling east? There is a stigma attached to that suggesting the “west” team may not do well.
If I think of anymore....

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Joe, I'm gonna blow your mind with a new WSIS thread that will probably get 100 different answers......oh wait, I'm not Foot; I might get one response...............hope it's yours..............lol

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the OP is like trying to play (buy/sell) the Stock Market. IMPOSSIBLE w/o inside info.

In a 10 team league one can play all kinds of games, but in a 16 team league like I'm in.... NO WAY do I have the OPPORTUNITY to play match-ups very often. The OP assumes a 2 team league IMO, though I appreciate the thought process.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the OP is like trying to play (buy/sell) the Stock Market. IMPOSSIBLE w/o inside info.

In a 10 team league one can play all kinds of games, but in a 16 team league like I'm in.... NO WAY do I have the OPPORTUNITY to play match-ups very often. The OP assumes a 2 team league IMO, though I appreciate the thought process.

Pretty sure he's assuming a 10-12 league like 99% of people play in. No website out there posts standard advice geared towards such oddities as a 16 team. League. But I'm sure he appreciates your appreciation.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still trying to figure out what OP is?

th

Had to beat Sam to that...