• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seems like just yesterday I started a new thread... here we are again. TEX @ OAK 7/22-24

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of folks are speculating how the draft will affect our prospects rankings.

I think I would still go with Jung and Leiter as one and two. After that, some mix of Duran, Foscue, Harris, Winn, White, Rocker, and Porter. Carter and Acuna are making a very strong push though.

I don't think I would include Smith with the playing time he has gotten up here. Not sure how to classify Huff, but lean toward classifying him as a prospect still.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope not. There are a lot of fans who think they should though.
I have seen it more on the hitting end but we surely do see people who want to trade some of our elite pitching prospects for Soto for example and who cares if we have him for only 2 years.

But I get it, to most casual fans the farm and guys close to ready don’t exist in their mind

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing there's a lot of overlap between those fans and those that want to bring Gallo back
There is also a substantial number of fans who refuse to consider a prospects potential at all.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitching prospects is a tough call plus the Rangers have not done well in the past with their pitching for the most part. I do remember very well that DVD was going to take this team places and never happened. Danks and a couple of others were traded to the White Sox for Brandon McCarthy. Diamond had an elbow injury and that was that with the Rangers and Volquez was traded for Josh Hamilton. He had a very good 1st year with the Reds and then a couple of good years when he was 30-31 years old. I also remember when we had Jose Guzman and Edwin Correa and I was excited about those guys. But Correa technically has one full season and shoulder issues ended his career.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitching prospects is a tough call plus the Rangers have not done well in the past with their pitching for the most part. I do remember very well that DVD was going to take this team places and never happened. Danks and a couple of others were traded to the White Sox for Brandon McCarthy. Diamond had an elbow injury and that was that with the Rangers and Volquez was traded for Josh Hamilton. He had a very good 1st year with the Reds and then a couple of good years when he was 30-31 years old. I also remember when we had Jose Guzman and Edwin Correa and I was excited about those guys. But Correa technically has one full season and shoulder issues ended his career.

I think we should all really temper expectations when it comes to our prospects. They have a ton of potential and upside, but there are countless examples like those where things didn't work out as planned.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder where DVD would be ranked among our prospects right now.

If White becomes another Danks and Winn is traded for another Hamilton and Kent is a flop like Diamond, I would be thrilled.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
National baseball writers not only view our stable of pitching prospects as deeper than we have ever seen here, they view them as the best in the game.

That is the difference between our pitching prospects now and at any time before.

“Adding Brock Porter and Kumar Rocker via the draft gives the Rangers more potential high-end starting prospects than any organization,” said MLB Pipeline’s Jim Callis. “There’s always risk and attrition involved with pitchers, but I’m not sure the last time any team had five guys like that.”

Reactions: DTC

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder where DVD would be ranked among our prospects right now.

If White becomes another Danks and Winn is traded for another Hamilton and Kent is a flop like Diamond, I would be thrilled.
That is not why I posted what I did. Some are acting like we have 5 starters locked down with what we have coming up and anything we do now would be blocking their progression to the majors.. Now that I would love if we had 5 quality starters come out of our system even more than your scenario. But it is so hard to predict.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite trio of Rangers pitching prospects before now was Guzman, Correa, and Witt.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
National baseball writers not only view our stable of pitching prospects as deeper than we have ever seen here, they view them as the best in the game.

That is the difference between our pitching prospects now and at any time before.

“Adding Brock Porter and Kumar Rocker via the draft gives the Rangers more potential high-end starting prospects than any organization,” said MLB Pipeline’s Jim Callis. “There’s always risk and attrition involved with pitchers, but I’m not sure the last time any team had five guys like that.”
I take what writers say with a grain of salt. But I hope they are right.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some are acting like we have 5 starters locked down with what we have coming up and anything we do now would be blocking their progression to the majors.
You never have 5 starters locked down. That is true at any time. We thought we had Kluber locked down. We once thought we had Holland for a few years and "poof" he was gone.

We thought we had 1B locked down for years with Fielder.

I do think going out and signing or trading for guys to put in the second or third slot in the rotation for 4 or 5 years is definitely blocking them and would be the wrong use of a limited amount of resources.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team cannot predict the future, but at the same time, they do have to make plans for the future. Those plans have to include an evaluation of talent in the system and what amounts to a prediction about which positions should be okay and which ones need help through trades or free agency. You just don't have the resources to shore up every position via trades or free agents to make sure you are covered everywhere.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team cannot predict the future, but at the same time, they do have to make plans for the future. Those plans have to include an evaluation of talent in the system and what amounts to a prediction about which positions should be okay and which ones need help through trades or free agency. You just don't have the resources to shore up every position via trades or free agents to make sure you are covered everywhere.
We want to bring up our guys to play not just trade them for established guys who we regret not keeping.
Let’s keep this pitching bunch for now