• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seems like just yesterday I started a new thread... here we are again. TEX @ OAK 7/22-24

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would imagine a team would want Calhoun for a bench player. They wouldn't use him like Woody does. He would be a useful bench guy.
A team? I pointed out the Yankees. I do not really see them going after Calhoun. Possibly in an emergency.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When will Kumar Rocker begin pitching for the organization??

I would hope sometime next month since they supposedly have an agreement and the deadline is the end of the month for signings...

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the Rangers pulling off the trades being mentioned on here. Mostly because they don't really benefit other the teams.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right now he is one of our better hitters. what we need right now is a RF'er who can hit and not be an embarrassment at the plate
We also need a 1B that can play defense. Lowe is terrible defensively. He’s nothing but a DH.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calhoun in LF and Duran DH. Why? Guess Woody is committed.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to guys like Calhoun, Miller, and Culberson, a team that might trade for them would not utilize them the way Woodard does. They would be bench players. There is value in a bench player for teams that are in contention. In better days, the Rangers have traded for bench players at this time of the year.

Don't make the mistake of thinking because those three are not very good as everyday players that they will have no worth on the trade market.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to guys like Calhoun, Miller, and Culberson, a team that might trade for them would not utilize them the way Woodard does. They would be bench players. There is value in a bench player for teams that are in contention. In better days, the Rangers have traded for bench players at this time of the year.

Don't make the mistake of thinking because those three are not very good as everyday players that they will have no worth on the trade market.
But who knows if the Rangers even want to trade them.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A team in contention could do far better than any of those players, including and especially as bench players.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team in contention could do far better than any of those players, including and especially as bench players.
Totally agree.
That is why I said earlier that the Yankees would not have any interest in Calhoun.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calhoun is a competent fielder and Duran is in the lineup.

This board is fast approaching "complain about everything" status.
Wrong. Duran had been in AAA playing OF so why not use him now?

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. Duran had been in AAA playing OF so why not use him now?

We don't have a standard DH. We use it to rotate guys in and out so they're off from being in the field but still in the lineup. Today is Duran's turn, yesterday it was someone else and next game it'll be someone else.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2010 when offense overall was better than today the contending Rangers traded for a backup OF, Jeff Franceour, who had an OPS of .662.

Kole Calhoun has an OPS in an offensively depressed league of .664.

It is very conceivable that a team in contention would be interested in trading for Calhoun. One could say it is even more likely with Calhoun than Frenchy, since so many more teams are contending now. Who knows if it is likely or not, but the idea that it is a given that it can't happen is just wrong.

I think folks are letting their angst at his overuse by our manager, blind them to his usefulness when used correctly.

If the Rangers hold onto Calhoun and continue to play him a lot, it is because they would rather him play than the younger guys.

Reactions: DTC

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have a standard DH. We use it to rotate guys in and out so they're off from being in the field but still in the lineup. Today is Duran's turn, yesterday it was someone else and next game it'll be someone else.
Makes more sense if Calhoun was DH and let prospects play. Seems everyone thinks prospects should play. Calhoun is not in our future. My comment was not a complaint but a legit question.