• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

secret to a deep WR corps

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've always thought the Packers have done a great job at getting a deep WR corps and when a guy becomes a free agent they cut him loose and next man up.

they had Driver and Jennings. They let them go and then they have Nelson and Jones. The next wave is Cobb and Boykin.

Didn't they draft them all too? I'd love to get that kind of depth going. The only legit WR we drafted was Crabtree and we drafted him real high, and Boldin is real solid but he has lost a step and he was a 30+ year old free agent that's paid $7M a year. We have NO depth behind that. We lose one of those WRs to injury, we are hurting.

What is Green Bay's secret? Can we steal their WR scout? :-)

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have patton. i could see us taking a wr or maybe even 2 in the draft considering all the picks we have.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've always thought the Packers have done a great job at getting a deep WR corps and when a guy becomes a free agent they cut him loose and next man up.

they had Driver and Jennings. They let them go and then they have Nelson and Jones. The next wave is Cobb and Boykin.

Didn't they draft them all too? I'd love to get that kind of depth going. The only legit WR we drafted was Crabtree and we drafted him real high, and Boldin is real solid but he has lost a step and he was a 30+ year old free agent that's paid $7M a year. We have NO depth behind that. We lose one of those WRs to injury, we are hurting.

Could not agree more. We don't know how to find or develop WR and it is time to admit and bring in someone who does know.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another problem is even if we did have something like that. We have shown that we don't know how to use certain WRS at all. We usually only spread 3 WR out if that most of the time as well. We run a different offense than Green Bay. Plus kap hasn't completely shown how to consistently use all his weapons in one game.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers certainly have been great at evaluating WR talent of late. We have been on the opposite end of things with that position but we have dwarfed them in things such as offensive line and linebacker, it all evens out.

Crabtree was certainly a good pick for us but we haven't been good since then. I'm hoping we make the right move this year and take a look at Kelvin Benjamin.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benjamin would be a terrific red zone target. I hope the Niners know how to develop him and know how to use him.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and Boldin is real solid but he has lost a step and he was a 30+ year old free agent that's paid $7M a year. We have NO depth behind that. We lose one of those WRs to injury, we are hurting.

This was actually the 4th most productive season of Boldin's career. Yea he is getting old, but he doesn't feel like he has lost much to me. He is getting older, but he has never been fast, this is the game he has always played and he is effective.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benjamin would be a terrific red zone target. I hope the Niners know how to develop him and know how to use him.

Benjamin could develop into an outright monster at any level of the field. I'm just afraid that he will perform too well at the combine and that we won't have a chance.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Packers certainly have been great at evaluating WR talent of late. We have been on the opposite end of things with that position but we have dwarfed them in things such as offensive line and linebacker, it all evens out.

Crabtree was certainly a good pick for us but we haven't been good since then. I'm hoping we make the right move this year and take a look at Kelvin Benjamin.

Yes we have drafted well on O-line and linebacker, but we also invested heavily in it with a bunch of first round picks (2 linebackers and 3 O-line men). Granted we hit home runs with those first round picks (thank goodness).

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Their secret? Draft good WRs and have a D that blows.......

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its hard to evaluate our receivers at times because Kaep is a good quarterback but he is mostly a one look and run QB. He doe not conistantly go through his progressions. He tends to look at one receiver then scamper around in the pocket to buy time to either throw it or run with it. I am Hoping that as he matures he will grow out of that tendency like Steve Young Did. But right now it wouldn't much matter if He had Crabs, Julio Jones and Megatron if hes only looking at one option. I think Patton will develop into a solid WR. With a good Chance of Beckham and or Landry being available in the second round. I see a lot more panic about wr than is rational.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is the QB play. With the Niners WR core Rodgers would get similar results.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and good protection......cause when you go deep......it takes awhile............

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The secret to a great WR corps is actually drafting Wrs more often. We don't draft the position very often. We needed to draft more Wrs...because they have been there ..we just don't use draft picks very often to draft potential Wr replacements. Then when we need one, we panic and pick a AJ who busts out. I know Baldwin is on the outs but we seriously need to get a better WR coach and work on them more in the offseason or training camp to get him up to speed (if that is possible). We also need to invest a draft pick every year until we no longer have the need to fill the rather empty void we have at WR every year. We have been picking up WRs from the NFL's castoff pile for way too long and that plan has not been working out too well. Note Bolden was a trade for an old guy not a developmental guy. I hope we draft 2 Wrs this season and hope at least one of them is a taller type for more of a Red zone presence. That being said I bet we draft another tall TE and a Wr in later rounds and pick a DE with our 1st rd. pick. I'm on the work a Josh Gordon trade bandwagon in the off season.

Last edited by a moderator: