• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Second Round: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your team just feigned a penalty to wuss out of having to defend against their opponents at the end of a 1 goal game.

Your team's goalie did this:

Maybe watch who you're calling whiny babies, hmm? Or am I going to get a letter from Mario Lemieux about this?
I'm calling YOU a whiny baby. And I have no issue with the Flower taping over Nisky's name.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite amusing to read the comments on Bonino. "Dude should be fined". "Disgraceful".

Intentionally crosscheck another player causing a concussion. "Meh". "Hockey play gone wrong".

:pop2:

You think Bonino should be suspended? Seems a bit much, @BGDave .

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Tom Wilson. I'd like to see a hockey play occur on his face. The near miss on Kunitz was pretty dirty I thought.

He was not in control last night. He gets a knee out or connects on that hit, it could have been suspension worthy. And he's a better player when he's using that big body in more productive ways.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was not in control last night. He gets a knee out or connects on that hit, it could have been suspension worthy. And he's a better player when he's using that big body in more productive ways.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him on the Pens in a second.

I just hate him right now.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, I'd take him on the Pens in a second.

I just hate him right now.

Lol! I like when he plays good hockey and wrecks people on good, legal hits. But I don't like the charging part of his game that comes out sometimes. He had a hit (late in the second I think, not sure) where the defenseman released the puck and he hit him long after it was gone that he should have gotten a penalty for.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That hit was so close to being absolutely devastating. Wilson needs to understand that he's quickly approaching Matt Cooke territory with physicality (not that he's cheap like him, no no). Now every hit you take, every scrum you make, every rule you break, every thing you fake, they'll be watccccchhhhinng you.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was cracking up in intermission when the first thing Milbury states is how much he loved Wilsons game. This was after an even up call against him, and nearly ending Kunitz's life. Listening to that guy gush about the violence in the game is nauseating.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milbury is the worst, Pix.

He's the type of guy that blames the Kariya/Stevens hit on Kariya because he had his head down.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I got that part.

Now go back to defending your team of whiny divers, snowflake.
Where am I whining??? Apparently you can't separate me from the team. And I stated, I have no issue with Fleury taping over Nisky's name...why should you?

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody wonder what Holtby was/wasn't doing on the Orlov goal off his skate...he didn't even move/track the puck. I actually felt bad for Orlov...then I farted and all was good

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody wonder what Holtby was/wasn't doing on the Orlov goal off his skate...

Yes.

Holtby hasn't been bad this series, but I would've expected better of one of the best goalies in the league over the past two seasons.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's actually pretty interesting. They're seriously outshooting and outpossessing the Pens, but they're also, somehow, making it easy on Fleury. They're not just not finishing, they're not doing the things with their shots which lead to finishing. They've each fanned on rebounds with wide open cages, failed to elevate the puck with Fleury dead to rights on the doorstep, and shot a lot of good looks directly into Penguin skaters. Possession is great, shots are great, they're both obviously necessary, but it's just as necessary that shots be good. The Penguins aren't shooting a lot, and yeah, they've benefited from bounces, but when they've gotten their opportunities, they've gotten the puck through and on net, they've elevated the puck in close, and they've finished chances at empty cages. That's why they're scoring more despite possessing and shooting less.

Fleury has looked better than Holtby for the most part, but the gap isn't as big as the SV% would suggest. The Caps have done Fleury a lot of favors by shooting into his pads a lot. Pretty much every brilliant save he's made has been on a puck sliding across the ice. Most goalies will find a way to stop most of those pucks, not matter how dead-to-rights they appear.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually pretty interesting. They're seriously outshooting and outpossessing the Pens, but they're also, somehow, making it easy on Fleury. They're not just not finishing, they're not doing the things with their shots which lead to finishing. They've each fanned on rebounds with wide open cages, failed to elevate the puck with Fleury dead to rights on the doorstep, and shot a lot of good looks directly into Penguin skaters. Possession is great, shots are great, they're both obviously necessary, but it's just as necessary that shots be good. The Penguins aren't shooting a lot, and yeah, they've benefited from bounces, but when they've gotten their opportunities, they've gotten the puck through and on net, they've elevated the puck in close, and they've finished chances at empty cages. That's why they're scoring more despite possessing and shooting less.

Fleury has looked better than Holtby for the most part, but the gap isn't as big as the SV% would suggest. The Caps have done Fleury a lot of favors by shooting into his pads a lot.
They were doing all of this to the Leafs too and except for maybe the last game they just as easily could've lost all those OT games (not to mention the one they won in regulation care of a Leafs brain fart at the blue line).

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

Holtby hasn't been bad this series, but I would've expected better of one of the best goalies in the league over the past two seasons.

He hasn't been bad, but he hasn't stolen anything. Even in game 3, he was good not great. It's one of those spots where you can't actively blame him, but he's also not being a difference maker. Sometimes you don't need a difference maker in net and can survive with league average, but when the guy at the other end is playing on PCP you need above average in your end.