• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Second Round: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Niskanen goes, he absolutely tried to cross check Sid there, but Sid's head was not in a normal place because of the collision with Ovechkin.

Yup! And Niskanen actually said this to reporters after the game.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate it when Caps and Pens fans agree. What is this world coming to???

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon, you can't really believe that.

As for the retribution, the thing that sets these Pens apart from previous iterations is that Sullivan tells them to just play, and the players listen.

The Crosby play was really unfortunate. Ovechkin slashed him up high which is a normal occurrence in the playoffs. The "trip" was simply Ovechkin trying to stop and their skates coming together.

As far as Niskanen goes, he absolutely tried to cross check Sid there, but Sid's head was not in a normal place because of the collision with Ovechkin. It should have been a 2 minute minor, not a major and not a game misconduct. Ovechkin may have gotten a penalty in the regular season, but that's not a penalty in the playoffs. (See Alzner vs. Hornquist prior to the Pens goal in the third)

None of this was dirty. Niskanen was somewhat careless, and may have taken an opportunity to get a good shot in, but he didn't target the head. No one is going to go after Ovechkin after this. Grow up.

Exactly. I understand I'm a Caps fan but I'm trying to be objective here, I really am. Calling for a suspension is just insane, there was no malice what so ever, he was simply trying to prevent a goal that ends their season. A suspension? that's idiotic.

As for Niskanen most of the force was a result of Crosby falling into Niskanen. Were his hands separated on the stick, indicating intent to deliver a blow with the stick? Not even close. He got 5 minutes and got tossed, I could argue that was excessive but I understood it.

I understand the Pens' fans frustration, it sucks that Crosby got hurt. But then need to stop acting like there was intent worthy of a suspension. This was a bang bang play with the season on the line, that's it.

Last edited:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the hit was suspension worthy, but Niskanen is still a piece of shit for going all victim. "Well, I was trying to cross check him in the upper back, but ya know, he fell a bit so I caught him in the head."

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I understand I'm a Caps fan but I'm trying to be objective here, I really am. Calling for a suspension is just insane, there was no malice what so ever, he was simply trying to prevent a goal that ends their season. A suspension, that's idiotic.

As for Niskanen most of the force was a result of Crosby falling into Niskanen. Were his hands separated on the stick, indicating intent to deliver a blow with the stick? Not even close. He got 5 minutes and got tossed, I could argue that was excessive but I understood it.

I understand the Pens' fans frustration, it sucks that Crosby got hurt. But then need to stop acting like there was intent worthy of a suspension. This was a bang bang play with the season on the line, that's it.

To Dash's point, why doesn't the league review it though? They do those lengthy videos explaining intent, the circumstances, etc. They should do those more often when players are NOT suspended so that (1) the public understands a review process has taken place and (2) to explain the reasons a hit like this would not lead to a suspension.

If you do that, fans think 'well I don't agree, but fair enough' or 'okay, I see what they are saying and agree.' If you don't, they think (pick one): superstar treatment, team special treatment, conspiracy, league incompetent. It just makes sense to have that process be public, transparent, and well explained.

Additionally, it's the player getting called to the principal's office. It's an opportunity to remind the player what is expected, to be told they are being watched, and to tell them specifically what behavior needs to be changed (even in cases where a suspension isn't leveled).

This all seems like common sense stuff the league has gotten better about, but still has a ways to go.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the hit was suspension worthy, but Niskanen is still a piece of shit for going all victim. "Well, I was trying to cross check him in the upper back, but ya know, he fell a bit so I caught him in the head."

I was surprised he actually said yeah I was going to cross check him. It happens ten times a game, but still. He'd make a terrible defendant. ;)

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To Dash's point, why doesn't the league review it though? They do those lengthy videos explaining intent, the circumstances, etc. They should do those more often when players are NOT suspended so that (1) the public understands a review process has taken place and (2) to explain the reasons a hit like this would not lead to a suspension.

If you do that, fans think 'well I don't agree, but fair enough' or 'okay, I see what they are saying and agree.' If you don't, they think (pick one): superstar treatment, team special treatment, conspiracy, league incompetent. It just makes sense to have that process be public, transparent, and well explained.

Additionally, it's the player getting called to the principal's office. It's an opportunity to remind the player what is expected, to be told they are being watched, and to tell them specifically what behavior needs to be changed (even in cases where a suspension isn't leveled).

This all seems like common sense stuff the league has gotten better about, but still has a ways to go.
But they did review it. Everyone has seen the play, the league looked it over and confirmed it needed no additional penalty beyond the 5 minute game misconduct and the player being kicked out of the game. I have no idea why people think there should be more penalty than that.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to lie, I'm more pissed about Kunitz pulling Brent Burns hair a decade ago than this incident. And Kunitz must have triggered something in OV and Niskanen to set up the combo. Common denominator is Kunitz - he should be suspended.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How is that "going all victim"? He is simply explaining the play to these idiots out there who want him strung up by the balls.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I take exception to "Pittsburgh columnist." The Trib was a small-town Greensburg paper that had illusions of grandeur and decided it should be a big-town player. Rossi is the embodiment of that grandeur. He's a worm.

From the article:

An aside: “Credulity’s Peak” would be an amazing gothic horror movie where a town is convinced they’re being attacked by monsters but it’s really just, like, humidity thunder.
So, Greensburg, then.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take exception to "Pittsburgh columnist." The Trib was a small-town Greensburg paper that had illusions of grandeur and decided it should be a big-town player. Rossi is the embodiment of that grandeur.

From the article:

So, Greensburg, then.

Rossi isn't even part of that anymore. He's on some weird ass "UpGruv" thing.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to lie, I'm more pissed about Kunitz pulling Brent Burns hair a decade ago than this incident. And Kunitz must have triggered something in OV and Niskanen to set up the combo. Common denominator is Kunitz - he should be suspended.

Six degrees of Kunitz?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they did review it. Everyone has seen the play, the league looked it over and confirmed it needed no additional penalty beyond the 5 minute game misconduct and the player being kicked out of the game. I have no idea why people think there should be more penalty than that.

I didn't say he deserved a suspension.

I said have a hearing to verify which involves the player and a breakdown of why it is or is not a suspension/fine. That's what I'm saying. Every hearing with a player the NHL has shouldn't involve an action. When the NHL says "a player hearing will happen," they may as well call it a sentencing.

Providing the public with more info on what is NOT a suspension is as important.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's deflecting responsibility. Intent is one thing, but it's still a reckless play.

No he's answering the critics who are calling for a suspension. Simply explaining it from his point of view, that is not playing the role of victim. Not even close.