• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Second Round: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you called my idea stupid. A little dickishness was needed. ;)

I think there was a reason to CONSIDER a suspension (a player got cross checked in the head), but we can agree to disagree on this one.

Yeah we just see it differently. You appear to only be interested in a PR move to satisfy those who are upset and demanding a suspension. I think I'm taking a more logical approach and not punishing the player any further by forcing him to attend a hearing needlessly.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with everything eloco says though, he just reminded me of that thread from last year. That guy's the worst.

d116015919990368382e109c7227c55f.jpg

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry Crosby is injured, but as a Capitals fan, it is literally impossible for me to empathize with the pain of "more Cups wins." ;)

I'm not expecting sympathy from Caps fans, trust me. I'm not sure if I'd rather have injuries steal opportunities or my team just be a perennial choker. I guess injuries.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, with Crosby out of the lineup, it's time for Evgeni (I got snubbed from the Top 100 in NHL history) Malkin to step up.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not expecting sympathy from Caps fans, trust me. I'm not sure if I'd rather have injuries steal opportunities or my team just be a perennial choker. I guess injuries.

Yes, for god's sake... take injuries!!!

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer when players simply take responsibility, even in cases where their intent wasn't to maim (merely to injure slightly). I can't criticize him too much because he was clearly coached by the PR squad when he was sitting in the locker room during the game, but I loathe when blame is thrown elsewhere. This is just like when people start going on about players putting themselves in a bad spot near the boards. Doesn't matter, you don't hit them there. And you don't use your stick as a weapon. The issue, as mentioned earlier, is that it's become so commonplace that when a play crosses the line beyond normal, it's barely on the radar. His comments annoy me because he's been a shithead in all three games, doing the same thing, but this time since Sid was tripped the outcome was worse. But he's still responsible for the outcome.

Now you are claiming he intended to injury Crosby on such a bang bang play?

Oh dear Lord this is getting stupider and stupider by the minute.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Jared is awesome and has been with tons of good looking, intelligent women.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are claiming he intended to injury Crosby on such a bang bang play?

Oh dear Lord this is getting stupider and stupider by the minute.

Yes, cross checking is intended to cause damage regardless of where it occurs. That goes for any player that does it.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, cross checking is intended to cause damage regardless of where it occurs. That goes for any player that does it.

So from now on every penalty ever taken is an attempt to injure. Got it. So can we discuss the boarding call on your boys next?

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not every penalty. Take that hook on Cullen last night. Clearly not an intent to injure therefore not a penalty.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the post again elo, then retract your lecture please. Here let me help you out:

"intent wasn't to maim (merely to injure slightly)" Poster claimed his intent was not to maim but to injury slightly. Just as I said.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of the injury/suspension situation, the fact remains the Pens still have a good team and if they win at home tomorrow, they have a 3-1 series lead. Sometimes teams are motivated over short spurts by those player losses as well. A good coach will turn that into focus and motivation.

I think the winner of game 4 is likely the winner of this series.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So from now on every penalty ever taken is an attempt to injure. Got it. So can we discuss the boarding call on your boys next?

Yeah, it was stupid and reckless. Hence why it was a penalty. And no, not *every* penalty is intent to injure. But a lot are. If you're cross checking someone it's very likely because you want to cause pain/injury. Not season ending, but you take that risk when you use your stick as a weapon. If you use your stick as a weapon and it results in harm, then it's your responsibility. I'm still not calling for a suspension here, because the degree of damage was a result of circumstances, but hot damn I'm sick of people making Niskanen into some saint absolved of all responsibility.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of the injury/suspension situation, the fact remains the Pens still have a good team and if they win at home tomorrow, they have a 3-1 series lead. Sometimes teams are motivated over short spurts by those player losses as well. A good coach will turn that into focus and motivation.

I think the winner of game 4 is likely the winner of this series.

Fully agree here. Gonna take Geno being a monster though. I imagine there's a good chance Daniel Sprong, fresh off his junior playoffs, makes an appearance. It's very Adam Graves-esque. The Pens still have the firepower to sneak out a pair of wins, but it's gonna take MAF being a wall and some major stepping up from the depth offense.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it was stupid and reckless. Hence why it was a penalty. And no, not *every* penalty is intent to injure. But a lot are. If you're cross checking someone it's very likely because you want to cause pain/injury. Not season ending, but you take that risk when you use your stick as a weapon. If you use your stick as a weapon and it results in harm, then it's your responsibility. I'm still not calling for a suspension here, because the degree of damage was a result of circumstances, but hot damn I'm sick of people making Niskanen into some saint absolved of all responsibility.

We[re not making him out to be saint, we're just sick of you turning a play into something it wasn't. If you crash a player into the boards it is equally likely to cause pain/injury. That play was every bit as dangerous as Niskanen's and hardly as necessary as it wasn't right at the goal mouth. Your boy got a 2 minute penalty and you claim that was sufficient, our guy got a 5 minute game misconduct and thrown out of the game for a play no more wreckless and dangerous. And even that's not good enough for you.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Jared was saying (and I agree with him) that same check happens multiple times every night, especially in the crease. It's literally why they talk about paying the price for going to the "dirty areas." I think guys are just trying to save a goal, clear the traffic, etc. And we see this all the time in hockey... a guy goes for a shoulder hit or a cross check and the guy drops or falls over as its happening and a routine check (even when a penalty) is suddenly more severe. For the record, I could see either no suspension or up to 1 game for Niskanen. I don't see malice, but it is careless. It's a tough call in my book.

Now all that said, I agree with Jared, who by definition can never agree with me. So we've created some kind unending logical wormhole that will likely absorb the universe within a few minutes rendering all of this moot anyway.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fully agree here. Gonna take Geno being a monster though. I imagine there's a good chance Daniel Sprong, fresh off his junior playoffs, makes an appearance. It's very Adam Graves-esque. The Pens still have the firepower to sneak out a pair of wins, but it's gonna take MAF being a wall and some major stepping up from the depth offense.

And Sheary is out... so some good news with the bad.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah back to hockey I agree as well. Pittsburg is still in command and their goalie is playing great. I like the Pens in 6 even without Crosby.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry Crosby is injured, but as a Capitals fan, it is literally impossible for me to empathize with the pain of "more Cups wins." ;)

Unrelated note:

Don't you hate when you don't get a precooled pillow in first class?

I was flying from my one house to my other, bigger house and of course I flew first class. (It's really worth the couple extra thousand dollars FWIW)

Anyhooo, the stewardess, (I think that's what you call him) brings me a warm pillow.

I'm going to have my personal assistant write a strongly worded letter.