• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Second Round: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say he deserved a suspension.

I said have a hearing to verify which involves the player and a breakdown of why it is or is not a suspension/fine. That's what I'm saying. Every hearing with a player the NHL has shouldn't involve an action. When the NHL says "a player hearing will happen," they may as well call it a sentencing.

Providing the public with more info on what is NOT a suspension is as important.

As I already pointed out the league did review the play, they determined it was not worthy of any further action. So why the need for your dog and pony show? To satisfy those who are upset that their star was injured? That's hardly a good reason for a hearing for a play that needs no hearing. All that would do would be to drag this on needlessly and cause more distractions for the players involved. You want to drag a player up to NY in the middle of a playoff series just to satisfy those who are upset?

Srupid idea, sorry.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say, I for one am shocked - SHOCKED! - that this series thread has more posts than the other three put together.
If fans of other teams wouldn't stick their noses in here with their comments, the thread would be like, 5% shorter. So much shorter.

I blame the thread immigrants.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I already pointed out the league did review the play, they determined it was not worthy of any further action. So why the need for your dog and pony show? To satisfy those who are upset that their star was injured? That's hardly a good reason for a hearing for a play that needs no hearing. All that would do would be to drag this on needlessly and cause more distractions for the players involved. Stupid idea, sorry.

As I already pointed out, a hearing and a review are not the same thing, and an explanation of why something is a suspension and why something is not are equally valuable. Your inability to understand what i've explained three times does not make the idea stupid.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I already pointed out the league did review the play, they determined it was not worthy of any further action. So why the need for your dog and pony show? To satisfy those who are upset that their star was injured? That's hardly a good reason for a hearing for a play that needs no hearing. All that would do would be to drag this on needlessly and cause more distractions for the players involved. You want to drag a player needlessly up to NY in the middle of a playoff series just to satisfy those who are upset?

Stupid idea, sorry.
All hockey fans have spent years unhappy with the mystery of the Wheel of Justice and why certain plays are suspension-worthy and others are not. And the league has, in the past, done videos where they explain why certain plays are not suspension worthy.

The fact that this play involved the league's marquee player means people are talking about it more. I would agree that the league could actually gain some credibility by explaining specifically why they felt no supplemental discipline was required here.

Or they could just spin away: NHL Wheel of Justice

Or follow the post-season suspension flowchart:
4093950406_8cb48d5493_o.jpg

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If fans of other teams wouldn't stick their noses in here with their comments, the thread would be like, 5% shorter. So much shorter.

I blame the thread immigrants.

Build a firewall! Make the baseball board pay for it!

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I already pointed out, a hearing and a review are not the same thing, and an explanation of why something is a suspension and why something is not are equally valuable. Your inability to understand what i've explained three times does not make the idea stupid.

No reason to be a dick about it, especially as we are on the same team. As I have already pointed out there is no reason for a hearing because there is no reason to even consider a suspension.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All hockey fans have spent years unhappy with the mystery of the Wheel of Justice and why certain plays are suspension-worthy and others are not. And the league has, in the past, done videos where they explain why certain plays are not suspension worthy.

The fact that this play involved the league's marquee player means people are talking about it more. I would agree that the league could actually gain some credibility by explaining specifically why they felt no supplemental discipline was required here.

Or they could just spin away: NHL Wheel of Justice

Or follow the post-season suspension flowchart:
4093950406_8cb48d5493_o.jpg

Post-season flowchart is missing the Chris Pronger decision tree.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason to be a dick about it, especially as we are on the same team. As I have already pointed out there is no reason for a hearing because there is no reason to even consider a suspension.

Dude, you called my idea stupid. A little dickishness was needed. ;)

I think there was a reason to CONSIDER a suspension (a player got cross checked in the head), but we can agree to disagree on this one.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he's answering the critics who are calling for a suspension. Simply explaining it from his point of view, that is not playing the role of victim. Not even close.

I prefer when players simply take responsibility, even in cases where their intent wasn't to maim (merely to injure slightly). I can't criticize him too much because he was clearly coached by the PR squad when he was sitting in the locker room during the game, but I loathe when blame is thrown elsewhere. This is just like when people start going on about players putting themselves in a bad spot near the boards. Doesn't matter, you don't hit them there. And you don't use your stick as a weapon. The issue, as mentioned earlier, is that it's become so commonplace that when a play crosses the line beyond normal, it's barely on the radar. His comments annoy me because he's been a shithead in all three games, doing the same thing, but this time since Sid was tripped the outcome was worse. But he's still responsible for the outcome.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post-season flowchart is missing the Chris Pronger decision tree.

Speaking of dicks...

(And I don't mean ones of the Equus africanus asinus variety, Dash. Don't get excited. ;) )

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sid and Sheary both out with concussions. I don't expect Sid back in this series, and honestly I'd be surprised if he were able to be back before the SCF should that happen.

Again...I'm sick of opportunities being stolen.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well this is shitty that Sid has a concussion ... hoping he can recover ... was at 8 rinks for my sons spring hockey yesterday late afternoon watching it on the big screen in the grill and there were audible gasps from everyone watching when they showed the slow mo and him going down

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might shock a member( @KennyBanyeah ) but I disagree with anything that Niskaten( sp) did.

Sid was falling, no puck in sight. There is No reason that Niskaten had to check him in the head. Those are plays that should be eliminated from hockey

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean?

Just with the franchise. And I know I'm spoiled rotten with team success, but holy hell has this franchise been robbed of great opportunities for success. I won't go as far as others and say they'd have won a bunch more Cups, but they'd at least have the opportunity to. Between cancer and back pain and concussions and knees...just gah.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer when players simply take responsibility, even in cases where their intent wasn't to maim (merely to injure slightly). I can't criticize him too much because he was clearly coached by the PR squad when he was sitting in the locker room during the game, but I loathe when blame is thrown elsewhere. This is just like when people start going on about players putting themselves in a bad spot near the boards. Doesn't matter, you don't hit them there. And you don't use your stick as a weapon. The issue, as mentioned earlier, is that it's become so commonplace that when a play crosses the line beyond normal, it's barely on the radar. His comments annoy me because he's been a shithead in all three games, doing the same thing, but this time since Sid was tripped the outcome was worse. But he's still responsible for the outcome.

I dunno, Pix.

If Sid isn't falling that is just a garden variety cross check below the shoulder blades and may or may not have been a penalty. No one would be talking about this. I'm sure there are some non Pens fans (poor bastards) out there that can pull clips of Sid doing the same or worse. Cross checking players in the crease is part of the game. Our guys do it all the time.

I disagree with everything eloco says though, he just reminded me of that thread from last year. That guy's the worst.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just with the franchise. And I know I'm spoiled rotten with team success, but holy hell has this franchise been robbed of great opportunities for success. I won't go as far as others and say they'd have won a bunch more Cups, but they'd at least have the opportunity to. Between cancer and back pain and concussions and knees...just gah.

I'm sorry Crosby is injured, but as a Capitals fan, it is literally impossible for me to empathize with the pain of "more Cups wins." ;)