• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Second Round: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Setting aside the over-the-top reaction to an injury to any player not named Matthews, Ovie did indeed play a role in what happened. It was Ovie's contact with Sid's head that caused Sid to change paths and lower his body, straight into Niskanen's stick. (but I am not saying either were worth more than a 2 minute minor).

FWIW, one angle seemed to show that Niskanen's stuck caught the side of Sid's head, closer to the jaw/neck area. As long as there is no spinal damage (unlikely), boy's gonna be pretty sore today but would not surprise me to see him out there for Game 4.

Oh for sure, I think OV's play was more dangerous than what Niskanen did. Could've easily been a a full 2 minute 5 on 3 for the Pens, but they usually won't call it like that unless its after the whistle and your name is Matt Martin.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ovi's play was a slashing penalty but it's idiotic to claim that it was dirty. Crosby had a layup, was he supposed to just let him score? The second hit to the head was brutal but hardly a dirty play, it was bang bang with no intent to injure. They gave him 5 minutes, that sounded about right. But to claim either play was dirt are the words of an idiot.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could've easily been a a full 2 minute 5 on 3 for the Pens, but they usually won't call it like that unless its after the whistle and your name is Matt Martin.
That's what it should have been. A slashing and a cross-checking penalty. No major or game misconduct. I'd rather have the 5 on 3 for 2 minutes than the 5-minute major anyway. :)

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I am enjoying this series, I would've really liked for Columbus to beat you guys, just so I could enjoy 43 v Eloco for 4 to 7 games. Much more entertaining than Sid v OV.
But, think about the poor mods. Mod lives matter.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it's your player that delivers the hit: It's unfortunate and part of the game.
When it's your player who is taken out by said hit: This is the kind of dangerous shit the league is trying to get rid of.

Am I doing it right?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it's your player that delivers the hit: It's unfortunate and part of the game.
When it's your player who is taken out by said hit: This is the kind of dangerous shit the league is trying to get rid of.

Am I doing it right?

:nod:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I am enjoying this series, I would've really liked for Columbus to beat you guys, just so I could enjoy 43 v Eloco for 4 to 7 games. Much more entertaining than Sid v OV.

Pass.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Setting aside the over-the-top reaction to an injury to any player not named Matthews, Ovie did indeed play a role in what happened. It was Ovie's contact with Sid's head that caused Sid to change paths and lower his body, straight into Niskanen's stick. (but I am not saying either were worth more than a 2 minute minor).

FWIW, one angle seemed to show that Niskanen's stuck caught the side of Sid's head, closer to the jaw/neck area. As long as there is no spinal damage (unlikely), boy's gonna be pretty sore today but would not surprise me to see him out there for Game 4.

Crosby lost his balance not because of the slash, but because Ovechkin's skate clipped the back of Crosby's. I don't even know that Crosby felt the slash. It wasn't very vicious, and it hit him in a thing designed to protect him. But when their skates tangled, Crosby lost his balance.

Though the whole sequence is a pretty good example of "be in control of your stick." And roughly the whole league needs that lesson.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I havent seen this mentioned, so im probably wrong... (or missed it)... but i don think nisky's cross check was intentional, well the bracing for a collison with his stick up was... but not sids head.... what i question is ov kicking sids skate causing him to lose his balance... am i seeing things or was there not enough force to knock sid off over balance.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ovi's play was a slashing penalty but it's idiotic to claim that it was dirty. Crosby had a layup, was he supposed to just let him score? The second hit to the head was brutal but hardly a dirty play, it was bang bang with no intent to injure. They gave him 5 minutes, that sounded about right. But to claim either play was dirt are the words of an idiot.

An INTENTIONAL slash to the head and then the trip should have gotten Ovechkin out of the game..no worries...his will be coming...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if there was thought that it would result in something from DPS

Just my opinion, but there at least needs to be a hearing - I'm not necessarily calling for a suspension mind you (getting 5 plus tossed was a significant penalty), but a blow was delivered by a player's stick to another player's head. Put it this way, if things start to escalate in game 4, the league has nobody to blame but themselves.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but there at least needs to be a hearing - I'm not necessarily calling for a suspension mind you (getting 5 plus tossed was a significant penalty), but a blow was delivered by a player's stick to another player's head. Put it this way, if things start to escalate in game 4, the league has nobody to blame but themselves.

I can buy that argument, you have to be in control of your stick. However, given the inconsistency of the DPS, getting a suspension call right is about all you can ask for right now.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just for the record, if the tables are turned and it's Ian Cole laying the lumber on Ovi's head in the same manner, I'd feel exactly the same way.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An INTENTIONAL slash to the head and then the trip should have gotten Ovechkin out of the game..no worries...his will be coming...

C'mon, you can't really believe that.

As for the retribution, the thing that sets these Pens apart from previous iterations is that Sullivan tells them to just play, and the players listen.

The Crosby play was really unfortunate. Ovechkin slashed him up high which is a normal occurrence in the playoffs. The "trip" was simply Ovechkin trying to stop and their skates coming together.

As far as Niskanen goes, he absolutely tried to cross check Sid there, but Sid's head was not in a normal place because of the collision with Ovechkin. It should have been a 2 minute minor, not a major and not a game misconduct. Ovechkin may have gotten a penalty in the regular season, but that's not a penalty in the playoffs. (See Alzner vs. Hornquist prior to the Pens goal in the third)

None of this was dirty. Niskanen was somewhat careless, and may have taken an opportunity to get a good shot in, but he didn't target the head. No one is going to go after Ovechkin after this. Grow up.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything good has come out of this incident, however, Rob Rossi's head has exploded Scanners style.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^Yup to all of that.