• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The House voted 235-180 to roll back an attempt by the Social Security Administration to block disability recipients with mental disorders like schizophrenia and severe anxiety from owning guns.

The rule required reporting people who receive disability benefits and have a mental health condition to the FBI’s background check system. But critics said the restrictions would have also applied to disability recipients who needed financial help managing their benefits.

So, in other words, you might not have the mental capacity to sign your disability checks, but that shouldn't stop you from owning firearms. Am I understanding that correctly?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The House voted 235-180 to roll back an attempt by the Social Security Administration to block disability recipients with mental disorders like schizophrenia and severe anxiety from owning guns.

The rule required reporting people who receive disability benefits and have a mental health condition to the FBI’s background check system. But critics said the restrictions would have also applied to disability recipients who needed financial help managing their benefits.

So, in other words, you might not have the mental capacity to sign your disability checks, but that shouldn't stop you from owning firearms. Am I understanding that correctly?

:wtf:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh boy!!! :eek:

I guess oldest to present, don't you guys work for crikey sakes!!!:kidding:

:juggle::martini: ok!!!

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a strawman argument. NYC is the most populous and ethnically diverse city in the US. Whether or not it is considered a sanctuary is irrelevant. Removing anti-terrorism money for any reason is going to make it less safe.

So is the NYC safer because of the sanctuaries? I would think no. I agree funding will be required, but these mayors around the country ask for help, yet are unwilling to make it easier for the fed to collect up people that have already committed some offense, by letting them go. I'm my opinion only for political reasons.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Protests that erupted at UC Berkeley ahead of a planned Wednesday appearance by right-wing commentator Milo Yiannopoulos caused $100,000 worth of damage to the campus, the school said Thursday.

Black-clad protesters wearing masks threw commercial-grade fireworks and rocks at police. Some even hurled Molotov cocktails that ignited fires. They also smashed windows of the student union center on the Berkeley campus where the Yiannopoulos event was to be held.

At least six people were injured. Some were attacked by the agitators -- who are a part of an anarchist group known as the "Black Bloc" that has been causing problems in Oakland for years, said Dan Mogulof, UC Berkeley spokesman.

Berkeley cancels Milo Yiannopoulos talk after violent protests - CNN.com

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep telling yourself that. 1095-C requirements have already been lifted for individuals, and this:

https://govtrackinsider.com/the-mos...he-house-this-congress-64b9a598ce4#.6d95uzr2h

I did my best to read the actual resolution, It's a possible repeal, if fiscally the bill (ACA) doesn't meet it's fiscally set levels, so it will open the ACA up for open discussion for changes in the house, not the Senate. The original was leaving 20M Americans without coverage, nope it will allow changes. Trump already stated changes, so let's see where this goes from here.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wingingit, what is your opinion on Trump's apparent nepotism in his appointees? To me, it's sickening and very alarming.

I think Trump buys or sells short stocks of companies just before he tweets about them. He's using his position as President as a pulpit to manipulate stock prices for his and his cronies' financial gain.

Mine too, you too. :)

I don't really feel comfortable with it. If he truly was looking to stay away from politicians carrying old baggage and favors this is one way.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wall-

JOBS JOBS JOBS :heh:

Debate this mother until it's built, I'm still all for it. Who gets dah money, contractors working for the Corp of Engineers. Border patrol jobs, better estimate 1,800 employees, paying taxes. Wall repairs Corp of engineers paying taxes....

Interesting read, wall or fence

Background & Overview of Israel's Security Fence

Done

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trump know any execs at ikea?

C3tO2tHVMAA6WML.jpg:large

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NRA is one powerful lobby.

Like this one: Bill introduced to remove suppressors from NFA regulation
What is amazing it is being put under as the Hearing Protection Act.

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.n...nt/uploads/2015/10/Hearing-Protection-Act.pdf

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed it when it happened so belated thoughts and prayers i guess :noidea:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Debate this mother until it's built, I'm still all for it. Who gets dah money, private contractors with ties to Trump corporate affiliates. Border patrol jobs, better estimate 1,800 employees, paying taxes from tax money, net tax burden overall. Wall repairs Corp of engineers paying taxes on tax money paying them, further increasing the tax burden....
Fixed.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's it. I've talked about it before but now I'm doing it. I'm turning heel. Fuckface is in the white House, Chi-mo* keeps advancing at work and he somehow got my immediate bosses office "through no doing of his own"**, and my stupid puppy chewed my wallet. The way I see it - life is good for horrible people. I'm going to push some old people down tomorrow.

*Stolen from King Dork but it's apparently a term now

**And I'm pissed at her for her infatuation with him but still feel bad he's fucking her over and she doesn't see it

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody, please check on BGDave (I'm assuming the BG stands for Bowling Green) and make sure he's okay.
Ummm, I'm pretty sure it stands for Berry Gordy. He's a big Motown fan. I presume.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2d2.jpg

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L When will the madness end?

Donald Trump plans to undo Dodd-Frank law, fiduciary rule

President Donald Trump on Friday plans to sign an executive action to scale back the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial-
overhaul law, in a sweeping plan to dismantle much of the regulatory system put in place after the financial crisis.

Trump also plans another executive action aimed at rolling back a controversial regulation scheduled to take effect in April that critics have said would upend the retirement-account advisory business.

“Americans are going to have better choices and Americans are going to have better products because we’re not going to burden the banks with literally hundreds of billions of dollars of regulatory costs every year,” White House National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. “The banks are going to be able to price product more efficiently and more effectively to consumers.”

Trump will use a memorandum to ask the labor secretary to consider rescinding a rule set to go into effect in April that orders retirement advisers, overseeing about $3 trillion in assets, to act in the best interest of their clients, Cohn said in the White House interview. He said the rule limits consumer choice.

Trump also will sign an executive order that directs the Treasury secretary and financial regulators to come up with a plan to revise rules the Dodd-Frank law put in place.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is the NYC safer because of the sanctuaries? I would think no. I agree funding will be required, but these mayors around the country ask for help, yet are unwilling to make it easier for the fed to collect up people that have already committed some offense, by letting them go. I'm my opinion only for political reasons.

One benefit of being a sanctuary city that no one seems to be considering is the prime reason behind it is to encourage the immigrant population to come forward and talk to police about what is happening in t heir neighborhood. Too many people latch on to the word "sanctuary" and think that it only means a place for criminals to hide. That's not the purpose. And I am sure there are cases where it can be true. But those cases, the exceptions, are not a valid reason to scrap the whole thing.

And to look at whether or not it makes cities safer, let's look at cities with overly aggressive police forces where NO ONE talks to police for fear of going to jail themselves. The two biggest example being Baltimore and Chicago. When the populous won't work with the police, crime tends to go up, and is often left unsolved. And let's face it, these immigrants are not living in suburbs, they are living in really shitty neighborhoods where there is a lot of crime.

So to defund cities who use it as a tool to build trust with a marginalized community could have a snowball effect. And keeping it isn't political, getting rid of it is. You break a trust with the people. You take away funding for things needed to protect everyone else. And then the police have to "do more with less" and then they get pissed. Plus you encourage the population of cops that are just there to beat up on anyone will be emboldened, could start making things worse.

I know a lot of cops here in Columbus. Columbus has a huge Somali immigrant population. We've had two radical incidents (knife attack on a Jewish restaurant owner and the guy who drove his car into the crowd at OSU) and in both cases, the police relationship with the community led to everyone who knew about it or was involved being rounded up fast.

I know more than one cop that is scared of what happens if the overarching attitude is "arrest any brown person until they can prove citizenship" that crime will go up exponentially. Likelihood of terror attack goes up too. But you can't start a world war without a Reichstag fire...

And make no mistake, no police officer anywhere in this country, is going to let any criminal walk. No matter where they are from. I know a guy who locked his own son up.

Status
Not open for further replies.