• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your typical 'Murican isn't going to go for that and just continue to contribute to the NRA.

See, I really don't know that the typical 'Murican really cares about the research that much. The research is harmless. Honestly, if they really believe their "Guns don't kill people" rhetoric, they should want the research to be done so they'll be vindicated.

The regulations, yeah, they'll shout those down in their loudest voices. I just don't get it with the research. That opposition just tells me the NRA is simply selfish and not cognitively dissonant, fully aware of what the research will show.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call it a seized opportunity, because it's a legitimately fantastic picture.

It's also fair cause to be fired from government contracting, but that's a risk I'd be tempted to take to have the coolest possible photo, especially since there are plenty of folks who--if she does any kind of good work--will willingly hire her because of it.
Maybe. She has two kids though. Don’t risk your employment when you have young people depending on you.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could the universities not get around this by doing something like calling it a scholarship instead of a tuition waiver?

Why should they have to? A tuition waiver is already definitionally not income, so who's to say at the next vote they wouldn't close that loophole up, too.

Because at this point, it wouldn't at all surprise me if they tried to tax scholarships.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NRA has led it's members to believe the mantra that legislation, licensing, registering, training, etc...leads to the slippery slope of taking away 'yer gunz....

Like it does with automobiles!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NRA has led it's members to believe the mantra that legislation, licensing, registering, training, etc...leads to the slippery slope of taking away 'yer gunz....

Like it does with automobiles!

But you only use your car after repeatedly demonstrating you're a risk to public safety. The bar to clear isn't very high to keep your car and right to drive.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you only use your car after repeatedly demonstrating you're a risk to public safety. The bar to clear isn't very high to keep your car and right to drive.
But there is no right to drive and own cars in the Constitution...duh. :)

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have used a different font...:doh:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should they have to? A tuition waiver is already definitionally not income, so who's to say at the next vote they wouldn't close that loophole up, too.

Because at this point, it wouldn't at all surprise me if they tried to tax scholarships.
Yes, but our tax code is structured so that things that have a monetary value can also be taxed similar to income. The whole idea is so that an employer can't "pay" you in iPhones or pizzas so that you can avoid paying income taxes. It's also why you would have to pay taxes on a vacation you win as a prize on a gameshow and things like that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but our tax code is structured so that things that have a monetary value can also be taxed similar to income. The whole idea is so that an employer can't "pay" you in iPhones or pizzas so that you can avoid paying income taxes. It's also why you would have to pay taxes on a vacation you win as a prize on a gameshow and things like that.

Those are assets which can be sold for money, though. The recipient of a tuition waiver can't turn around and sell it. It's not an asset the same way iPhones, pizzas, vacations, and the like are, and that's an important distinction.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an employee of a university, I get the benefit of free tuition paid as a tuition waiver. The current tax code make the tuition waiver tax free for undergrad tuition, but I do have to pay taxes (1098-T) on the tuition waiver for graduate tuition. It looks like 2nd bullet point for determining tax free income is being removed:

Graduate Education
A tuition reduction you receive for graduate education is qualified, and therefore tax free, if both of the following requirements are met.
  • It is provided by an eligible educational institution.

• You are a graduate student who performs teaching or research activities for the educational institution.
...or more precisely, the option to have any graduate tuition waivers be tax free is being removed.

Last edited:

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are assets which can be sold for money, though. The recipient of a tuition waiver can't turn around and sell it. It's not an asset the same way iPhones, pizzas, vacations, and the like are, and that's an important distinction.
The problem is the tuition waiver has an easily identifiable value associated to it - the tuition that would have been required if it wasn't available. From an IRS point of view this is a slam dunk. Now whether or not it should or shouldn't be taxable is where the real debate should be.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still something of value you're being given in exchange for your services. There's a distinction, sure, which is why it's not taxed right now. But you're being compensated for your work, which is the same thing as income.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
an employer can't "pay" you in pizzas

Some try

shady-things-you-never-knew-about-papa-john_s-780x438.jpg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet @Comeds is hoping the President gets caught between the Moon and New York City...

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an employee of a university, I get the benefit of free tuition paid as a tuition waiver. The current tax code make the tuition waiver tax free for undergrad tuition, but I do have to pay taxes (1098-T) on the tuition waiver for graduate tuition. It looks like 2nd bullet point for determining tax free income is being removed:

Graduate Education
A tuition reduction you receive for graduate education is qualified, and therefore tax free, if both of the following requirements are met.
  • It is provided by an eligible educational institution.

• You are a graduate student who performs teaching or research activities for the educational institution.
...or more precisely, the option to have any graduate tuition waivers be tax free is being removed.

It's about time too! All these high paid teachers and grad assistants raking in all that dough while some poor CEOs can't even afford to replace their marble floors in the bathrooms of their son's private jet because of taxes!

TRUMP 2020!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about time too! All these high paid teachers and grad assistants raking in all that dough while some poor CEOs can't even afford to replace their marble floors in the bathrooms of their son's private jet because of taxes!

TRUMP 2020!

Yup, time to spread the cheddar around and MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.