• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FAKE NEWS Network tried to sort through what the tweet may have been referring to:

Trump, Amazon and 'internet taxes': The real story

"This is owned as a toy by Jeff Bezos who controls Amazon," Trump said of the newspaper in an interview last year. "Amazon is getting away with murder tax-wise. He's using the Washington Post for power so that the politicians in Washington don't tax Amazon like they should be taxed."

But, but I'm sure somebody said that not paying taxes was a smart thing to do - Who said that, oh wait I remember...

Trump brags about not paying taxes: 'That makes me smart'

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"This is owned as a toy by Jeff Bezos who controls Amazon," Trump said of the newspaper in an interview last year. "Amazon is getting away with murder tax-wise. He's using the Washington Post for power so that the politicians in Washington don't tax Amazon like they should be taxed."

But, but I'm sure somebody said that not paying taxes was a smart thing to do - Who said that, oh wait I remember...

Trump brags about not paying taxes: 'That makes me smart'
Yeah, the whole thing is kinda weird. I don't know if his vendetta against Bezos is because Bezos is a political liberal or because he's jealous because Bezos has been spectacularly more successful in business.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FAKE NEWS Network tried to sort through what the tweet may have been referring to:

Trump, Amazon and 'internet taxes': The real story

If the tweet is about the fact that since Amazon in incorporated in Delaware so they can avoid state sales tax there is actually a point to be had. However, the only solution to that is a federal sales tax, which "Big Gubment Sux" conservatives would never agree to. But, as with everything the angry yam spots off about, it's not the true problem and hides an unsavory practice he himself takes advantage of. The Delaware holding company loophole. Basically, companies are taxed on their profits for a year and taxes to states vary. So what they do (Trump Included) is start a holding company in Delaware where there is no corporate tax and have that company own your trademarked logo. Then, you lease the right to use that trademark from that company for whatever your profits would have been as a "cost of business".

You make 10 million. Taxes would take 3mil(ish) of that. So you lease the trademark from the holding company for 9.8mil and instead of paying tax on your profits of 10 mil, you are paying federal taxes on your "profits" of only .2mil. But since you also own the holding company, the money is still yours. I've seen estimates of it screwing states out of 10bn /year in tax revenue.

There is a building in Wilmington that is home to 300k businesses.
This tiny building in Wilmington, Delaware is home to 300,000 businesses

08a-mn-cs-and-tax-10-638.jpg

Yeah, the whole thing is kinda weird. I don't know if his vendetta against Bezos is because Bezos is a political liberal or because he's jealous because Bezos has been spectacularly more successful in business.

Yes

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the tweet is about the fact that since Amazon in incorporated in Delaware so they can avoid state sales tax there is actually a point to be had. However, the only solution to that is a federal sales tax, which "Big Gubment Sux" conservatives would never agree to. But, as with everything the angry yam spots off about, it's not the true problem and hides an unsavory practice he himself takes advantage of. The Delaware holding company loophole. Basically, companies are taxed on their profits for a year and taxes to states vary. So what they do (Trump Included) is start a holding company in Delaware where there is no corporate tax and have that company own your trademarked logo. Then, you lease the right to use that trademark from that company for whatever your profits would have been as a "cost of business".
There was a point to be had, but not anymore. Amazon collects and remits sales tax in all states that have a sales tax and has publicly supported the creation of federal legislation mandating this practice.

Which is what makes it even more weird.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You make 10 million. Taxes would take 3mil(ish) of that. So you lease the trademark from the holding company for 9.8mil and instead of paying tax on your profits of 10 mil, you are paying federal taxes on your "profits" of only .2mil. But since you also own the holding company, the money is still yours. I've seen estimates of it screwing states out of 10bn /year in tax revenue.

There is a building in Wilmington that is home to 300k businesses.
This tiny building in Wilmington, Delaware is home to 300,000 businesses

08a-mn-cs-and-tax-10-638.jpg

Yes
Must be hard to find parking

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, I'm sorry but I'm an alpha male and won't apologize for it. Within minutes of meeting someone I usually have my shirt off and am wrestling them to the ground showing them who is in control. It must bug some people because I rarely see any of them again.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I'll bite. WTF are "internet taxes"?

He should ask Barron, he is good with the cyber. I just hope he doesn't ask the 400 pound guy sitting on his bed in his mom's basement.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, I'm sorry but I'm an alpha male and won't apologize for it. Within minutes of meeting someone I usually have my shirt off and am wrestling them to the ground showing them who is in control. It must bug some people because I rarely see any of them again.

Why does Frank Costanza and the feats of strength come to mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.