• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But anecdotal evidence often feels right. And isn't that more important then the actual truth? If something feels right? Or if it fits a narrative you are pushing?

I get it. These conversations are always touchy. You're bound to come across the guilt ridden parents of an autistic child, and accidentally offend them. Personal responsibility is a lost art. Its much easier to find comfort in "scientific statistics" that say you did nothing wrong giving your kid all those shots at an early age, than it is to entertain the notion that you hurt your child.

Like Darkstone said, he'd rather have an autistic kid than have not given the kid all those shots, and "everyone is doing it" (they aren't). It would be hard for me too.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know someone, a hardworking father of three, who never listened to anecdotal evidence. I would tell him stories ,like the one about the waitress in Poughkeepsie who flashed her high beams at an car without lights on and accidentally joined a gang, but he never listened always needing "facts" and "sources". He didn't listen to the cautionary tale about the miner in West Virginia who vaped once and now is hooked on Heroin! And then last week one of his three sons was bit by a rattlesnake and he didn't know what to do. We all told him about the farmer in Cumberland who was bit by a rattlesnake and lost a testicle but oh no, he didn't believe us. Now his son got bit and will have a swollen foot for a week. The point is, all the evidence is not in and we do not really know if rattlesnake bites are good or bad, so all we have is anecdotal evidence sometimes.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meanwhile ... in other protecting our children news ... meh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my kids. We got them in small, sometimes single shots. I'm not the bragging parent type, and I don't post pics of my kids on the internet, but I mean this is the most humble way when I say both (twins, one girl and one boy) are big, gorgeous, super athletic 90 percentiles alpha kids. Coincidence? Maybe. But my wife and I were very careful not to give our kids their shots too early and often.

Always a touchy subject with kids, and its very hard to see friends and family struggle w austism. I'm very very blessed.

You got lucky, then. Good for you.

The vaccine schedule isn't random. It's based in extensive research. The goal is to maximize the effectiveness of the vaccines and immunize kids as early as possible. And the schedule is safe. Decades of clinical research, research which is still ongoing, has elucidated that it's safe.

All you're doing by spreading them out is pushing the date later and later when your kids are fully protected. Your kids didn't get anything; good for you and them. But you added completely unnecessary risk to them by spreading the shots out.

You don't know something the literally hundreds of scientists who have conducted the safety studies on vaccines don't. You're not clever, you're lucky. And don't you dare try to push guilt on any parent who did the right thing and vaccinated their kid if that kid ended up strictly coincidentally having autism.

Last edited:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DDXSkc7UMAEK0pb.jpg:large

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got lucky, then. Good for you.

The vaccine schedule isn't random. It's based in extensive research. The goal is to maximize the effectiveness of the vaccines and immunize kids as early as possible. And the schedule is safe. Decades of clinical research, research which is still ongoing, has elucidated that it's safe.

All you're doing by spreading them out is pushing the date later and later when your kids are fully protected. Your kids didn't get anything; good for you and them. But you added completely unnecessary risk to them by spreading the shots out.

You don't know something the literally hundreds of scientists who have conducted the safety studies on vaccines don't. You're not clever. And don't you dare try to push guilt on any parent who did the right thing and vaccinated their kid if that kid ended up strictly coincidentally having autism.

I had a buddy (atheist) who believed heavily in anything and everything science told him. His kids are not autistic, but there's something up there for sure.

With us, luck had nothing to do with it. My wife and I did our research, and discussed it with our pediatrician, the same pediatrician I had as a baby a looooong time ago.

Sure, the young, hip, new age pediatrician wanted to give our twins all these shots ASAP - egos exist in the medical and science field too - everyone is trying to reinvent the wheel - but we felt more comfortable with the older, wiser, calmer doctor.

There's a reason every kid is on some kind of drugs these days....yikes. Doctors and scientists are fallable too. You gotta do your own work too when it comes to your kids.

Last edited:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And don't you dare try to push guilt on any parent who did the right thing and vaccinated their kid if that kid ended up strictly coincidentally having autism.
This is what its all about. Let's be honest.

I run into the same problem discussing mental illness and pill popping for depression/anxiety etc...you always end up offending someone.

Personal responsibility, accountability, and grit has been traded in for succumbing to our weaknesses, popping drugs and blaming others.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what its all about. Let's be honest.

I run into the same problem discussing mental illness and pill popping for depression/anxiety etc...you always end up offending someone.

Personal responsibility, accountability, and grit has been traded in for succumbing to our weaknesses, popping drugs and blaming others.
Or skipping vaccines for your children and blaming the companies by falsely claiming autism links.

Status
Not open for further replies.