• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, yeah right. Flu shots cause autism dumbass. Plus the government isn't going to tell me what to take!

2V1Xfl3.gif

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, a good mix of Americans and Canadians, although the Americans certainly outnumber the Canadians who frequent this board.

/Canadian here

Am I still an honorary Canadian, or have I been sold to the Swiss?

Why don't you Yankees just have a referendum state-by-state on whether to either have a single payer system or let everybody fend for themselves?

It's amazing that a country that arranged the greatest army in history in a matter of months 70 years ago cannot figure out how to get people flu shots in a functional and affordable manner.

I was going to provide a somewhat coherent (at least in my mind) answer about lobbyists and the effect of governing for profit. Then I read Comeds' response and...

I can't even think of anything to change the subject to. Not only is he a horse racing expert, but he has a black belt in snark.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Spewed rhetoric"

So angry. Are you in the US?

By dismissing the part of his plan to use premiums as a tax deduction, you're dismissing his plan entirely.
I didn't dismiss the premiums being used as a tax deduction, I said that without future tax reform there are no premium tax deductions. As in the future - uncertain what that brings. Hopeful you may be Trump comes through with what he pledges but still uncertain and not set in stone. If tax reform was that simple it would have been done by now.

As it stands now, those people are going to lose their health coverage and will not be able to afford new coverage. And even with premium tax deductions, many who would lose their insurance under this new plan don't itemize on their tax returns - the premium tax deductions don't give them any benefits at all.

A tax deduction is not the same as a tax credit - some credits can be refundable while deductions only reduce your taxable income. Ok, make the standard deduction higher you say (and I'm sure that's what Trump will say as well) . Great, those people pay very little to no tax to begin with - a higher standard deduction would make their taxable income closer to zero. And with that little income, they will pay no taxes - therefore an increased standard deduction benefits them almost zero as well. Which leaves us with the same problem we had before Obamacare - the tens of millions of uninsured do not have access to and cannot afford the coverage available. The tax premium deductions may help middle of the road taxpayers who then can use their tax savings to pay for their healthcare but we don't know if the tax savings can offset the increases in premiums. But if it does get done, Trump will say look at me, I did it, Obamacare is dead. That's great Mr. President, now what about all those who lost health coverage and cannot afford it?

I'm based in Los Angeles which is pretty far to the left and also based in Orange County which is pretty far to the right. I'm registered to vote in Orange County. I live and deal with people in both ends of the political spectrum and both sides have decent ideas. It's too bad now that many in this country choose to dismiss anything from the other party or that challenges their political views as fake news. And yes, you spewed partisan rhetoric when you dismissed the CBO numbers as fake news and tried to prove you point with the wait and see Trump's plan will fix that approach.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, yeah right. Flu shots cause autism dumbass. Plus the government isn't going to tell me what to take!

Not flu shots. Heavy doses of multiple doses too early given to babies too young too soon vs. Single spread out doses.

I have two friends with autistic kids, both got all of their shots early and in bunches.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't dismiss the premiums being used as a tax deduction, I said that without future tax reform there are no premium tax deductions. As in the future - uncertain what that brings. Hopeful you may be Trump comes through with what he pledges but still uncertain and not set in stone. If tax reform was that simple it would have been done by now.

As it stands now, those people are going to lose their health coverage and will not be able to afford new coverage. And even with premium tax deductions, many who would lose their insurance under this new plan don't itemize on their tax returns - the premium tax deductions don't give them any benefits at all.

A tax deduction is not the same as a tax credit - some credits can be refundable while deductions only reduce your taxable income. Ok, make the standard deduction higher you say (and I'm sure that's what Trump will say as well) . Great, those people pay very little to no tax to begin with - a higher standard deduction would make their taxable income closer to zero. And with that little income, they will pay no taxes - therefore an increased standard deduction benefits them almost zero as well. Which leaves us with the same problem we had before Obamacare - the tens of millions of uninsured do not have access to and cannot afford the coverage available. The tax premium deductions may help middle of the road taxpayers who then can use their tax savings to pay for their healthcare but we don't know if the tax savings can offset the increases in premiums. But if it does get done, Trump will say look at me, I did it, Obamacare is dead. That's great Mr. President, now what about all those who lost health coverage and cannot afford it?

I'm based in Los Angeles which is pretty far to the left and also based in Orange County which is pretty far to the right. I'm registered to vote in Orange County. I live and deal with people in both ends of the political spectrum and both sides have decent ideas. It's too bad now that many in this country choose to dismiss anything from the other party or that challenges their political views as fake news. And yes, you spewed partisan rhetoric when you dismissed the CBO numbers as fake news and tried to prove you point with the wait and see Trump's plan will fix that approach.

Appreciate the reply. LA is a zoo. Got a cousin out there. We will revisit this discussion once the new health care plan takes effect. I definitely do not think we will be discussing 22 million people kicked to the curb by evil President Trump.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you were looking at the UK, but yes, you still have honorary Canadian status.

I was 'avin a giggle at going over and helping those blimey bastards fix their bloody computer systems. But there are a lot of good reasons to live in Switzerland.

The flag is a big plus.

I would go to Vancouver, but I can't afford housing.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably shouldn't have revealed my location in case DerringerEagle is reading this board :D

We know you're in Georgia. And we know what license plates you just tried to order.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 'avin a giggle at going over and helping those blimey bastards fix their bloody computer systems. But there are a lot of good reasons to live in Switzerland.

The flag is a big plus.

My brother in law is moving to Switzerland. One thing I should warn is that if you think living anywhere on this side of the planet is expensive try Geneva and you'll never complain again. Holy crap.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know you're in Georgia. And we know what license plates you just tried to order.

I was in Atlanta for about 18 months almost 20 years ago - Had a great time there and the cost of living was damn attractive as well.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother in law is moving to Switzerland. One thing I should warn is that if you think living anywhere on this side of the planet is expensive try Geneva and you'll never complain again. Holy crap.

Oh, I know. London and the Hague are crazy as well. There are companies hiring for what I do in all three places (Not Geneva, Bern but still) and the posted salaries almost made my face melt. Then I saw the price to buy a house...

Yikes.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The flag is a big plus.

Talk to torts ... point roberts is your solution!! :thumb:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't you Yankees just have a referendum state-by-state on whether to either have a single payer system or let everybody fend for themselves?

It's amazing that a country that arranged the greatest army in history in a matter of months 70 years ago cannot figure out how to get people flu shots in a functional and affordable manner.
Because we generally can't get our shit together on things like that. I'm massively over-simplifying, but that just presents way too many logistical challenges to do without the federal government being involved.

How are states like Mississippi (poorest state in the nation) supposed to pay for it without federal funding? What if (using my own geography as an example), SC says no but NC says yes - what do you do then with huge number of people who go back and forth between Charlotte and the SC suburbs? What do you do when someone is traveling and ends up in a state with different rules? Is NC on the hook for paying for an SC resident who ends up in a Charlotte ER? Who pays the hospital, if not?

Status
Not open for further replies.